Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Econ Dev Prof sez that . . .

Originally posted by Lawrence of Arabia
    developped countries are a) self sufficient in agriculture products and b) more productive in terms of agriculture.

why then is it that developped countries feel the need to subsidize agricultural products to the tune of $350 bn a year?
    Your professor is wrong.

On point a, obviously Canada and developed European countries are not self-sufficient in things like coffee, tea, tropical fruit, etc (the same probably applies to the US)

As for b, it depends. In a given year, Canada may have a bumper wheat crop while the US does not. So Canada would be more productive in that given year.

As for the question of why have subsidies, even if it would be cheaper to buy all food from overseas, it may not be in the best interests of a country to do so. Yes, it might be cheaper, but the decision to use subsidies is not based just on price.

There are health safety issues, like mad cow disease. Countries that have no cattle farms must rely on others countries that may not have strict health regulations.

There is a question of choice. Canadian beef tastes differently from Australian beef, but in Hong Kong, it is extremely difficult to get Canadian beef.

The French argue that it is necessary to protect small farms in order to maintain a flow of specialized items like different varieities of cheese.

Finally, there is the argument that maintaining financially uncompetitive farms is necessary for national security. Domestically grown food is required in times of war.
    Golfing since 67

Comment

Just because an industry is self sufficient and productive does not mean it is competitive .

Comment

self sufficient is not defined by a variety of goods. A country could produce enough food, but not have such things as coffee and tropical food.

By the definition, USA is self sufficient despite not growing some types of food
        Haven't been here for ages....

Comment

Originally posted by TheStinger
          subsidising your farmers so your country can be self suffcient is just about ok, but to subsidise production so that your surplus undercuts the prices of developing countries is economicaly inefficient and morally wrong
          Why do you think it's morally wrong?
          I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
          - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

Because its forcing people into abject poverty.
            Space is big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind- bogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the chemist's, but that's just peanuts to space.
            Douglas Adams (Influential author)

Comment

Because its forcing people into abject poverty.

Comment

of course it does, if your only possible living is selling a product at prices kept low because of 1st world subsidies and the removal of the those subsidies would enable a modest living then those subsidies are moraly wrong. Yes some 1st world farmers go out of business they won't see thei children die of dysentry though
                Space is big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind- bogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the chemist's, but that's just peanuts to space.
                Douglas Adams (Influential author)

Comment

of course it does, if your only possible living is selling a product at prices kept low because of 1st world subsidies and the removal of the those subsidies would enable a modest living then those subsidies are moraly wrong. Yes some 1st world farmers go out of business they won't see thei children die of dysentry though
                  Of course? What exactly makes it immoral? And where does the 'force' come in?
                  Last edited by Kidlicious; June 30, 2005, 13:14.

Comment

Re: Econ Dev Prof sez that . . .

developped countries are a) self sufficient in agriculture products and b) more productive in terms of agriculture.

why then is it that developped countries feel the need to subsidize agricultural products to the tune of $350 bn a year?
                    Does this include the stuff where we pay people to not grow food/cash crops/etc in some instances?

Comment

yeah, im gonna go to his office hours i think.
                      "Everything for the State, nothing against the State, nothing outside the State" - Benito Mussolini

Comment

You know LoA, it's ok to disagree with him. This **** aint math.

Comment

i dont necessairly care about agreeing or disagreeing; i mean hes a professor at a university. he's not out there applying it. i wanna understand why he said that, and then agree or disagree. but on the exams and problem sets, im gonna have to agree with him.
                          "Everything for the State, nothing against the State, nothing outside the State" - Benito Mussolini

Comment

but on the exams and problem sets, im gonna have to agree with him.
                            That's a strange university you go to. We never had to agree, just demonstrate that we understood.

Comment

yeah but its based on the Arthur Lewis model, (ya know, the guy who won the nobel prize for economics?,) the model that won him the nobel prize, so theres not much disagreeing to do when its mathematical.

Comment

yeah but its based on the Arthur Lewis model, (ya know, the guy who won the nobel prize for economics?,) the model that won him the nobel prize, so theres not much disagreeing to do when its mathematical.
                                Sure there is.

Comment

Working...
                                X