Intellectual challenge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MrFun
    My ex-boyfriend, when he was alive, and I lived with him, provided me with intellectual challenge in the form of thoughtful, and in-depth philosophical questions and discussions.

I was younger then, and he opened my eyes wider than they were before.
    I bet you read the Greek poets together
    Let us be lazy in everything, except in loving and drinking, except in being lazy – Lessing

Comment

Originally posted by BeBro

I know I just found it too intellectually challenging to write more....
      Ah, you were joking? Sometimes you are too sophisticated for me

Comment

I thought this thread was about the intellectually challenged, like myself. Ah well, I'll go elsewhere, then.
        Let us be lazy in everything, except in loving and drinking, except in being lazy – Lessing

Comment

Civ II!
          (\__/) Save a bunny, eat more Smurf!
          (='.'=) Sponsored by the National Smurfmeat Council
          (")_(") Smurf, the original blue meat! © 1999, patent pending, ® and ™ (except that "Smurf" bit)

Comment

Re: Intellectual challenge

Originally posted by VetLegion
            Two questions.

1. Do you sometimes feel a need for intellectual challenge?
            Most of the times

2. What is intellectual challenge for you and how/where do you get it?
            Thinking about/solving Problems of all kinds (in Programming, Biology, history of mankind etc.)
            Developing things

I get them within my Jobs (Programming), University or my pet projects, or by just sitting there and thinking about a problem (and maybe discussing it on Internet Forums)
            Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
            Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

Speaking of which, Az - we really should meet up as I'm going away for officer's training in a week.

****, you'll become an officer before me? damn.

Have fun in Ba'ad 1. They'll make you a man in more than one way.
              urgh.NSFW

Comment

Originally posted by Barinthus
                Whenever I want the intellectually challenged I come over here....
                One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

Hmmm . . . .

1) Yes , I do feel the need for intellectual challenge .

2) Computer Science , Physics , and Mathematics . Top three sources of intellectual challenge for me . Currently I'm just a HS student , so I'm not really at the level at which Asher is , but I hope to get there . As a school project I've decided to do something simple - a program to solve those little SUDOKU puzzles you come across in the newspaper . The fact that I've been trying to teach myself the fundamentals of AI from an old book I found in the school library ( it's not really supposed to be there , it's a college-level book ) helps a lot .

Comment

I keep trying to imagine Tony Blair as a Labour Prime Minister.

More puzzling than Zeno's paradoxes.
                    Vive la liberte. Noor Inayat Khan, Dachau.

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

Originally posted by aneeshm
                      Hmmm . . . .

1) Yes , I do feel the need for intellectual challenge .

2) Computer Science , Physics , and Mathematics . Top three sources of intellectual challenge for me . Currently I'm just a HS student , so I'm not really at the level at which Asher is , but I hope to get there . As a school project I've decided to do something simple - a program to solve those little SUDOKU puzzles you come across in the newspaper . The fact that I've been trying to teach myself the fundamentals of AI from an old book I found in the school library ( it's not really supposed to be there , it's a college-level book ) helps a lot .
                      I've recently solved them as well, but I used a different approach. I applied an evolutionary algorithm to see how it worked out and the fact that it was a rather quick hack it worked quite good and always found the solution after several tries.
                      I didn't think much about operators so I just implemented a simple swap mutation and used an ES. With a GA you might achieve better results, but then you have to think about CrossOvers. I'd like to do a Tabu Search as well, but that required more work and programming the whole thing just took some 8-9 hours (I finished 5am).

As you've probably guessed my field is metaheuristics

But anyway, the problems can almost be solved straight forward. A friend of mine tried a 2 level recursive approach and so far has solved all of the problems I tried it on.

Comment

1) No, I dislike intellectuals. I want challenges....thought provoking concepts and ideas.....but dislike intellectual discussions. In general, I prefer my values, courage, character and patience to be challenged, rather than my intellect.

2) I would class an intellectual challenge as.....erm....something that makes me think outside the proverbial box and that does not have a definite solution. My course is about as intellectually challenging as.....an unchallenging thing (I also hate meaningless yet supposedly funny similies)....so I have given up on education a means for finding these challenges.
                        Desperados of the world, unite. You have nothing to lose but your dignity.......

Comment

Re: Intellectual challenge

Two questions.

1. Do you sometimes feel a need for intellectual challenge?

2. What is intellectual challenge for you and how/where do you get it?
                          /me answer #1

Indeed at all times, I feel the need to grow as an individual. I dont allways get a challange but enjoy it when it comes my way.

/me answers #2

I enjoy a debate with a highly educated individual. I am eduated but not in the scholarly aspect, more so through lifes highways,byways and rough shod pathways...

I do find a lot here and sometimes at work

I do have to wonder though, just because a person thinks something to be correct such as their opinion or stance or collection of what they feel is sufficient evidence to support their claim, doesnt mean they are in fact correct.

Gramps

ok nazi police, come pick me apart
                          Hi, I'm RAH and I'm a Benaholic.-rah

Comment

Working...
                          X