No announcement yet.

War of the Worlds Review (no Spoilers)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• War of the Worlds Review (no Spoilers)

I have to say. After seeing this movie at a special (paid 50.00 a ticket!) last night. I had nightmares after going to bed. It was worth the 45 minute trip.

The movie starts off quietly. All of a sudden strange reports of lightning storms from around the globe. Then it happens. I wont spoil it. But holy chit. The next hour of the movie is truly an impressive, roller-coaster ride of terror.

Not like independence day where you knew will smith and co would pull through. That was more of a action-drama. This is simply put ; amazing. The feeling of helplessness and the grotesque slaughter of humanity. You got that zing in your spine during the hole movie. The movie delivers at every point. At one point I was hoping for Godzilla or something to emerge and smite the seemingly indestructable armada of Alien Tripods (there was no mention of martions in the movie at all). Everybody in the audience must of felt the same way. The director planned it like that. Something did, in the form of a convoy of United States Marines armor formed up and engaged the aliens. Everybody got up and clapped and cheered in the audience at that point. Yes thats how emerging this film was. but the army was as helpless as civilians in the end.

Its told through the eyes, not of a hero or a general or president. But of a normal person trying to get his family to safety. The film eerily reminds of september 11th. The sudden shock and suprise of the attack, the dust clouds. Nobody knew what the hell was going on. Audience included. That was represented in the film with rumors of everything from tripods taking everything over, to the russian war machine mobilizing and finding a way to actually destroy one.

The aliens were suprisingly frightning and there machines were scary as hell in a 1950's way. I had a nightmaree. Geezzz. SpielBurg Delivers.

A great movie. I give a 9 out of 10. The ending is reminiscent of the book and was kind of a let down for those wanting tom cruise to strap on a rocket vest and battle the tripods with a chainsaw.
    One guy had to leave the theatre cause his heart was giving him pain.
    Last edited by floppy_lobster; June 28, 2005, 17:04.
    http://www.hotornot.com/r/?eid=OLHMHMB&key=RRK

:-(

So, using the spoiler tag:

How close is it to the source material (book), and the first translation (orson welle's classic)?
    B♭3

Comment

Spoiler ahead!

Spoiler:

I went into this movie viewing it to be a remake of the 1953 classic. I was way wrong. This movie will probably be a viewed independant of the 53 version. And the biggest hit of the summer.

Its definately not the same. Of course it didnt take place in 1898 or 1953. It took place in 2005. There was never any mention of martians. The Invaders (we are left wondering who they are and why were they buried in the earth for a million years. Really humans are like ants in the movie. Inferior. Projectile weapons dont work keeping with the rules of these kinds of movies. Bacteria killed them in the end. Not us. But like the 53 version. Resistance is valiant.

The rays the tripods had were like out of mars attacks. And the claws picking up hundreds of people at a time and slicing them up and consuming them.

PHP]

If you see 1 movie. Make sure its this. The movie really is great.

damn i cant figure out the spoiler thing
      Last edited by floppy_lobster; June 28, 2005, 17:35.

Comment

I SPOIL!
        In da butt.
        "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
        THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
        "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

Originally posted by Q Cubed
          So, using the spoiler tag:

How close is it to the source material (book), and the first translation (orson welle's classic)?
          I guess that you mean americanization since H.G.Wells wrote it in english

Anyway - does the soundtrack match Jeff Waynes ?
          With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

I read the abridged version of the original book...it was very interesting...I have to say, running down aliens with steamships does sound fun...

Comment

If I remember right the book had the martians but the english army was able to actually bring them down. Europe came to englands rescue and the aliens tried to get to the mainland. No mention of America really.

This is of course way different, taking place in america. The theme and idea is the same. The movie doesnt really copy the book or the transalation.

Soundtrack was awesome.

Comment

Originally posted by Commy
                I read the abridged version of the original book...it was very interesting...I have to say, running down aliens with steamships does sound fun...
                Nah, Thunder Child knocked one down with it's guns but were then destroyed by the heath rays.

Originally posted by floppy_lobster
                If I remember right the book had the martians but the english army was able to actually bring them down. Europe came to englands rescue and the aliens tried to get to the mainland. No mention of America really.
                Nope. In the book the english army was blast away - it was the good old germs that destroyed them at last.
                With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

You paid $50 to see this?

Comment

Working...
                  X