Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Australian Scientists kill dogs in the name of science...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Australian Scientists kill dogs in the name of science...

...and then bring them back to life, also in the name of science.

SCIENTISTS have created eerie zombie dogs, reanimating the canines after several hours of clinical death in attempts to develop suspended animation for humans.

US scientists have succeeded in reviving the dogs after three hours of clinical death, paving the way for trials on humans within years.
    Pittsburgh's Safar Centre for Resuscitation Research has developed a technique in which subject's veins are drained of blood and filled with an ice-cold salt solution.

The animals are considered scientifically dead, as they stop breathing and have no heartbeat or brain activity.

But three hours later, their blood is replaced and the zombie dogs are brought back to life with an electric shock.

Plans to test the technique on humans should be realised within a year, according to the Safar Centre.

However rather than sending people to sleep for years, then bringing them back to life to benefit from medical advances, the boffins would be happy to keep people in this state for just a few hours,

But even a this should be enough to save lives such as battlefield casualties and victims of stabbings or gunshot wounds, who have suffered huge blood loss.

Duing the procedure blood is replaced with saline solution at a few degrees above zero. The dogs' body temperature drops to only 7C, compared with the usual 37C, inducing a state of hypothermia before death.

Although the animals are clinically dead, their tissues and organs are perfectly preserved.

Damaged blood vessels and tissues can then be repaired via surgery. The dogs are brought back to life by returning the blood to their bodies,giving them 100 per cent oxygen and applying electric shocks to restart their hearts.

Tests show they are perfectly normal, with no brain damage.

"The results are stunning. I think in 10 years we will be able to prevent death in a certain segment of those using this technology," said one US battlefield doctor.
    Zombie dogs. Nice.

Here's my question: What will human tests bring? If they have a person dead, with no blood, and then bring that person back to life...well...

Will all of them have those "bright white light" stories?
    "I predict your ignore will rival Ben's" - Ecofarm
    ^ The Poly equivalent of:
    "I hope you can see this 'cause I'm [flipping you off] as hard as I can" - Ignignokt the Mooninite

Source? Link?

Comment

I wrote the story myself
      "I hope you can see this 'cause I'm [flipping you off] as hard as I can" - Ignignokt the Mooninite

Comment

Just kidding

Comment

Some people really suck.
          Long time member @ Apolyton
          Civilization player since the dawn of time

Comment

I'd prefer if they kept the dogs dead.
            Why can't you be a non-conformist just like everybody else?

It's no good (from an evolutionary point of view) to have the physique of Tarzan if you have the sex drive of a philosopher. -- Michael Ruse
            The Nedaverse I can accept, but not the Berzaverse. There can only be so many alternate realities. -- Elok

Comment

* cue tune from X-files *
              Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
              Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

You know, usually, when someone dies, there's a reason for it...now, sometimes it was a good person and they didn't deserve to die...but others, me thinks, are killed for reasons, and bringing back to life just ruins the whole point of killing...on the bright side, it might reduce murder rate, as people will quickly realize that you truly can't kill a person, cause they'll just get right back up and kill you...literally, real war will be just like videogames, you have 3 lives, so use them wisely...

Comment

I guess blood donation centers will soon mushroom everywhere and I can see a wonderful opportunity to bring all those unemployed to work.. mine them as blood resources

Commy, you can always shoot someone in the head.. nobody will be able to repair that and even if your body gets another brain, that will no longer be you. Or you can burn them or you can drown them or cut them into pieces...

Comment

That's damned cool.

Comment

Any REAL sources? No one else seems to know this story.
                      Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
                      I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

Well, the Safar Center does indeed exist, and does indeed do research into Suspended Animation

Comment

And the 2002-2003 Annual Report does say that they are specifically doing these procedures on dogs.

Comment

So are they alive with that stuff in their veins or not?

Do you just reanimate humans like that to get their organs?

"Oh you saved my life, thanks"

"No, you're still dead. We're just reconservating your organs for some more hours, now shut up."

"Waaaaaaah"

Comment

They're definitly dead with the stuff in the veins. The stuff is meant to preserve the internal workings. Then they reanimated the dogs after a few hours when the put the blood back, and the dogs were alive again.

No heartbeat. No breathing. No brain activity. A few hours.

That's dead.

Comment

Working...
                              X