• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New stuff from the Supremes!

The Supreme justices, of course:

Supreme Court Declines to Hear Reporters' Appeal in Leak Case

By ADAM LIPTAK
    Published: June 27, 2005

The United States Supreme Court declined today to hear the cases of two reporters facing jail time for refusing to testify about conversations with their confidential sources.

The case now returns to the federal district court in Washington, where its chief judge, Thomas F. Hogan, is expected to hear arguments this week about when and where the reporters, Judith Miller of The New York Times and Matthew Cooper of Time magazine, will begin to serve their time.

The special prosecutor in the case, Patrick J. Fitzgerald, is likely to ask that the reporters be jailed immediately. Lawyers for the reporters may ask Judge Hogan for permission to file additional briefs.

"I am extremely disappointed," Ms. Miller said in a statement. "Journalists simply cannot do their jobs without being able to commit to sources that they won't be identified. Such protection is critical to the free flow of information in a democracy."

Arthur Sulzberger Jr., the publisher of The New York Times, added: "It is shocking that for doing some routine newsgathering on an important public issue, keeping her word to her sources, and without our even publishing a story about the C.I.A. agent, Judy finds herself facing a prison sentence.

"That 49 states and many countries around the globe provide broad protection for journalists who have promised confidentiality to their sources, makes today's decision even more disappointing. And it is doubly painful that the court rejected our case in the face of the plea of 34 state attorneys general, prosecutors who normally seek journalists' evidence, that anonymous sources are critical to provide information to the public."

Time Inc. issued a statement suggesting that it had not come to a final decision about whether to comply with the court orders in the case.

"We think it premature for Time Inc. and Matt Cooper to articulate final positions until Judge Hogan has ruled on our request for review and reassessment," the statement said.

Judge Hogan held the reporters in civil contempt in October for refusing to cooperate in a grand jury's investigation of the disclosure of the identity of a covert C.I.A. agent, Valerie Plame.

He ordered them held for 18 months or until the grand jury completes its inquiry, whichever comes sooner. He also ordered Time magazine to pay a fine of $1,000 a day for refusing to turn over related documents.

The reporters have remained free during their appeals. In court filings this spring, Mr. Fitzgerald disclosed that, except for his efforts to compel the reporters' testimony, his investigation has been "for all practical purposes complete" since October.

Time's lawyers will rely on that disclosure to try to reargue the case before Judge Hogan, the Time Inc. statement said.

"We believe that changes in the status of the special prosecutor's investigation and intervening guidance from the court of appeals on evidentiary privileges under federal common law merit such a reassessment," the statement said.

"There is reason to believe, for example, that the special counsel may have determined that disclosure of Valerie Plame's identity to Robert Novak did not violate the Intelligence Identities Protection Act," the statement continued. "If that is correct, his desire to know the sources for a subsequent article by Mr. Cooper and others, that appeared on Time.com, may be solely related to an investigation into whether witnesses made false statements during the course of his investigation into this non-crime. Such an investigation of obstruction of justice or perjury may not rise to the level that justifies disclosure of information from or about a reporter's confidential sources under federal common law."

Civil contempt is meant to coerce rather than punish. If the reporters agree to talk, they will be freed.

The federal regulations governing civil contempt suggest that the local jail, in this case that of the District of Columbia, is the default facility. The United States Marshals Service, which has primary responsibility for supervising people held in civil contempt in federal cases, may choose another facility "due to medical, security or other reasons." Judge Hogan is also free to specify a different place of incarceration.

Lawyers for the reporters are likely to propose home confinement or a federal facility other than the District of Columbia jail.

A Rhode Island television reporter, Jim Taricani, was sentenced to six months of home confinement in December for refusing to disclose the identity of the person who gave him a videotape that was evidence in an investigation of government corruption in Providence. He was released in April, after serving four months.

But Mr. Taricani was a heart-transplant recipient. And he had been held in criminal contempt, meaning his sentence was meant to be punitive. Home confinement in a civil contempt case might not be considered adequately coercive.

The case against the reporters arose from the publication of the identity of Ms. Plame's identity by the syndicated columnist Robert Novak, who said "two senior administration officials" had told him the information. It can be a crime for government officials to disclose such facts.

Even as Ms. Miller and Mr. Cooper prepare for jail, Mr. Novak remains free. Neither he nor Mr. Fitzgerald will say why that is so.

Other aspects of the case remain shrouded in secrecy as well. Mr. Fitzgerald appears to assert that Mr. Cooper, who wrote about Ms. Plame after the Novak column, and Ms. Miller, who never wrote on the subject, have information that may point to criminal conduct by a government official.

A 1972 decision of the Supreme Court, Branzburg v. Hayes, held that the First Amendment does not allow reporters to refuse to discuss their confidential sources in the face of grand jury subpoenas.

Today's order means the Supreme Court will not revisit that decision for now.

It also means that the court will await another case to consider the existence and scope of a protection arising from the federal common law governing evidentiary privileges like those for communications with lawyers and doctors.

Under a rule of evidence adopted by Congress in 1975, federal courts are authorized to recognize new privileges in light of "reason and experience."

The federal appeals court in Washington upheld Judge Hogan's contempt order in February. The three-judge panel split three ways over the question of whether courts should recognize a privilege under the federal common law, but all three judges agreed that Mr. Fitzgerald had provided secret evidence to the court sufficient to overcome any privilege that might exist.

My question, of course, is, if they really want to know who told Novak, why not investigate and arrest NOVAK? That is the biggest mystery of this whole issue for me.

And another case:

Police Can't Be Sued for Restraining Order Enforcement

By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

Filed at 10:57 a.m. ET

WASHINGTON (AP) -- The Supreme Court ruled Monday that police cannot be sued for how they enforce restraining orders, ending a lawsuit by a Colorado woman who claimed police did not do enough to prevent her estranged husband from killing her three young daughters.

Jessica Gonzales did not have a constitutional right to police enforcement of the court order against her husband, the court said in a 7-2 opinion.

City governments had feared that if the court ruled the other way, it would unleash a potentially devastating flood of cases that could bankrupt municipal governments.

Gonzales contended that police did not do enough to stop her estranged husband, who took the three daughters from the front yard of her home in June 1999 in violation of a restraining order.

Hours later Simon Gonzales died in a gun fight with officers outside a police station. The bodies of the three girls, ages 10, 9 and 7, were in his truck.

Gonzales argued that she was entitled to sue based on her rights under the 14th Amendment and under Colorado law that says officers shall use every reasonable means to enforce a restraining order. She contended that her restraining order should be considered property under the 14th Amendment and that it was taken from her without due process when police failed to enforce it.

''The restraining orders are not worth anything unless police officers are willing to enforce them. They are just paper,'' said Brian Reichel, the attorney for Gonzales. ''If nothing else this case has shined the spotlight on a very important issue.''

Castle Rock, Co., police contend they tried to help Gonzales. Police twice went to the estranged husband's apartment, kept an eye out for his truck and called his cellular phone and home phone.

Gonzales reached him on his cell phone, and he told her that he had taken the girls to an amusement park in nearby Denver. Gonzales contends that police should have gone to the amusement park or contacted Denver police.

The case is Castle Rock, Colo., v. Gonzales, 04-278

Live news, investigations, opinion, photos and video by the journalists of The New York Times from more than 150 countries around the world. Subscribe for coverage of U.S. and international news, politics, business, technology, science, health, arts, sports and more.
    If you don't like reality, change it! me
    "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
    "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
    "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Anbd this one is for Music lovers:

File-Sharing Networks Can Be Held Liable, Court Rules

By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

Internet file-sharing services will be held responsible if they intend for their customers to use software primarily to swap songs and movies illegally, the Supreme Court ruled Monday, rejecting warnings that the lawsuits will stunt growth of cool tech gadgets such as the next iPod.

The unanimous decision sends the case back to lower court, which had ruled in favor of file-sharing services Grokster Ltd. and StreamCast Networks Inc. on the grounds that the companies couldn't be sued. The justices said there was enough evidence of unlawful intent for the case to go to trial.

File-sharing services shouldn't get a free pass on bad behavior, justices said.

"We hold that one who distributes a device with the object of promoting its use to infringe copyright, as shown by the clear expression or other affirmative steps taken to foster infringement, is liable for the resulting acts of infringement by third parties," Justice David H. Souter wrote for the court.

At issue was whether the file-sharing services should be held liable even if they have no direct control over what millions of online users are doing with the software they provide for free. As much as 90 percent of songs and movies copied on the file-sharing networks are downloaded illegally, according to music industry filings.

The entertainment industry said it needed protection against the billions of dollars in revenue they lose to illegal swapping. Consumer groups worried that expanded liability will stifle the technology revolution of the last two decades that brought video cassette recorders, MP3 players and Apple's iPod.

Companies will have to pay music and movie artists for up to billions in losses if they are found to have promoted illegal downloading.

Two lower courts previously sided with Grokster without holding a trial. They each based their decisions on the 1984 Supreme Court ruling that Sony Corp. could not be sued over consumers who used its VCRs to make illegal copies of movies.

The lower courts reasoned that, like VCRs, the file-sharing software can be used for "substantial" legal purposes, such as giving away free songs, free software or government documents. They also said the file-sharing services were not legally responsible because they don't have central servers pointing users to copyright material.

But in Monday's ruling, Souter said lower courts could find the file-sharing services responsible by examining factors such as how companies marketed the product or whether they took easily available steps to reduce infringing uses.

"There is substantial evidence in MGM's favor on all elements of inducement," Souter wrote.

In the closely watched case, supporting the effort to sue the companies were dozens of entertainment industry companies, including musicians Don Henley, Sheryl Crow and the Dixie Chicks, as well as attorneys general in 40 states.

About 20 independent recording artists, including musician and producer Brian Eno, rockers Heart and rapper-activist Chuck D, supported the file-sharing technology to allow for greater distribution of their works.

Monday's ruling gives the entertainment industry another legal option to the more costly and less popular route of going directly after millions of online file-swappers believed to distribute songs and movies illegally.

It's unclear how much the decision will actually deter the widespread problem of piracy since software programs created abroad won't be subject to the tougher U.S. copyright laws. Still, analysts say the court's stern rebuke should provide a boost to many file-sharing services that offer legal downloading for a fee.

Industry observers have said a ruling against Grokster could also prompt stiffer enforcement from European regulators, who were watching the case for guidance on tackling copyright questions in their countries.

Recording companies in the United States have already sued thousands of individual users; at least 600 of the cases were eventually settled for roughly $3,000 each.

The case is Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Studios v. Grokster, 04-480.
    If you don't like reality, change it! me
    "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
    "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
    "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Re: New stuff from the Supremes!

Originally posted by GePap
      My question, of course, is, if they really want to know who told Novak, why not investigate and arrest NOVAK? That is the biggest mystery of this whole issue for me.
      IIRC, Novak has already testified before the gand jury. The course of the investigation would lead me to GUESS that Novak got his info second or thrid hand, perhaps derived through Miller and Cooper.
      Gaius Mucius Scaevola Sinistra
      Japher: "crap, did I just post in this thread?"
      "Bloody hell, Lefty.....number one in my list of persons I have no intention of annoying, ever." Bugs ****ing Bunny
      From a 6th grader who readily adpated to internet culture: "Pay attention now, because your opinions suck"

Comment

Nope, Novak has not been before the grand jury. He had some sort interview with invetigators, after whcih they lost interest in him.
        Gaius Mucius Scaevola Sinistra
        Japher: "crap, did I just post in this thread?"
        "Bloody hell, Lefty.....number one in my list of persons I have no intention of annoying, ever." Bugs ****ing Bunny
        From a 6th grader who readily adpated to internet culture: "Pay attention now, because your opinions suck"

Comment

man i was expecting some soulful grooves
          "The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton

Comment

So was I!

STOP! In the name of Love! ...Before you break my heart.

Comment

Working...
            X