No announcement yet.

Oerdin's torch carries on - SCOTUS permits lawsuits against file-sharing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As I read this, it seems to me that as long as file-sharing services plaster themselves with all sorts of warnings about how naughty copyright infringement is, and how sad it would make them if their users indulged, they would effectively innoculate themselves. Is that so?

Basically. They can't say download our program and get free music. It's very hard for the recording industry to prove these programs are liable.
    “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
    - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Originally posted by Ted Striker
      I do think technology will eventually break the current system and hand it back over to the people.

When that happens, is anyone's guess.
      When that happens, I'll hand you a beer and we can roast marshmallows on burning Republicans as the flames flicker against the Lincoln Memorial.
      Only feebs vote.

Comment

We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

The entertainment industry said it needed protection against the billions of dollars in revenue they lose to illegal swapping.
          Haven't they got bored with this yet? Nobody else is buying this bunk.

Even The Economist took issue with this assertion.
          (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
          (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
          (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

I'll still repeat my point Imran - that the recording industry will use the threat of lawsuits to shut down new technology companies that cannot afford the cost. After all, the legal system is so expensive, and who want that? Oops, Imran's might.
            The worst form of insubordination is being right - Keith D., marine veteran. A dictator will starve to the last civilian - self-quoted
            And on the eigth day, God realized it was Monday, and created caffeine. And behold, it was very good. - self-quoted
            Klaatu: I'm impatient with stupidity. My people have learned to live without it.
            Mr. Harley: I'm afraid my people haven't. I'm very sorry… I wish it were otherwise.

Comment

Yes, the hidden costs and litigation will hurt tech companies in the U.S., but not elsewhere.
              He's got the Midas touch.
              But he touched it too much!
              Hey Goldmember, Hey Goldmember!

Comment

Actually in the US and the EU. Which will leave India, China, and Dubai as well as a bunch of South American countries to develop the technology. Let's destroy our global lead in the two industries we lead in - Information technology and Medicine (see Stem Cell debate).
                The worst form of insubordination is being right - Keith D., marine veteran. A dictator will starve to the last civilian - self-quoted
                And on the eigth day, God realized it was Monday, and created caffeine. And behold, it was very good. - self-quoted
                Klaatu: I'm impatient with stupidity. My people have learned to live without it.
                Mr. Harley: I'm afraid my people haven't. I'm very sorry… I wish it were otherwise.

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui

Btw, you are reading the Breyer opinion 100% incorrectly. His concurrance is disagreeing with GINSBURG's concurrence, which wants to toughen the Sony standard. Breyer agrees fully with Souter, and is warning against Ginsburg's decision, which Kennedy and Rehnquist joined, in which they want the defendant to prove in greater detail.
                  I understand that Breyer and the other two were supporting the current sony standard while Ginzberg was essentially shooting it down. What is not clear to me, given that opinion, is why those 3 chose to find against Grokster. Breyers argument makes it clear (to me at least) that the basis for the ruling for sony (i.e. not infringing) applied to Grokster equally well. They must have split some (very fine) hairs.

On the other hand, one may argue that if Grokster was infringing then sony was too. The lower courts were using the sony standard in their determination that Grokster was not infringing. This decision has muddied the waters around the sony standard and as such may be a huge problem.
                  We need seperate human-only games for MP/PBEM that dont include the over-simplifications required to have a good AI
                  If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
                  Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.

Comment

Originally posted by Urban Ranger

Haven't they got bored with this yet? Nobody else is buying this bunk.

Even The Economist took issue with this assertion.
                    Well there's no proof that the recording industry has lost revenue because of file sharing. The fact is that there is a lot of crap music produced these days that isn't worth what they charge.
                    I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
                    - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

Originally posted by Moral Hazard

Oh and didn't 4 or 5 of these justices sit for the VCR case.
                      I think few of them ruled on phonograph vs gramophones...
                      I've allways wanted to play "Russ Meyer's Civilization"

Comment

Working...
                      X