Richard Whiteley dies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Richard Whiteley dies

for those who don't know, richard whiteley was the host of countdown for 20 years, a show loved by OAPs and students alike. it's a sad day

from sky news

COUNTDOWN STAR DIES

TV presenter Richard Whiteley has died in hospital from a heart operation.

The star of Countdown, aged 61, underwent the surgery to combat an infection that attacked a valve in his heart.

He was taken into hospital in Leeds last month suffering from pneumonia.

Whiteley had been the host of the letters and numbers gameshow since it began more than 20 years ago.

He was the first person to appear on Channel 4 when it launched on November 2, 1982.

When he was taken ill last month, he missed the first show in more than two decades.

John Richard Whiteley OBE, was born on December 28, 1943 in Bradford.

The jacket and ties he wore for Countdown had a reputation for their garishness.

Whiteley loved anecdotes and puns, which were often met by groans from other presenters and members of the audience.

He even made the big screen, in a cameo role in the Hugh Grant movie About a Boy.

The Countdown star was nicknamed "Twice Nightly Whiteley" in reference to the time when he presented Yorkshire TV's Calendar News and Countdown in the same evening.

In a self-deprecating joke, he often altered this to "Once Yearly, Nearly."

He was one of the first journalists at the scene of the 1984 Brighton bombing, having been in Brighton's Grand Hotel at the time of the explosion.
    "The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton

Damn
    Call to Power 2: Apolyton Edition - download the latest version (12th June 2011)
    CtP2 AE Wiki & Modding Reference
    One way to compile the CtP2 Source Code.

Comment

"Twice Nightly" Whiteley?

Lazy arse, bed ridden students throughout the counnry will mourn the loss

I didn't even know he was ill?

Comment

This is the third consectuvely bad thing to affect me in the last week... and clearly the worst.

Comment

Originally posted by Gibsie
          This is the third consectuvely bad thing to affect me in the last week... and clearly the worst.
          What were the other two? Getting out of bed before tea time?

Twice.

Comment

Well I'm being ironic about it being the "worst".

Comment

Originally posted by Gibsie
              Well I'm being ironic about it being the "worst".

Comment

Although neither of the other two things have involved anyone dying, so who knows?

Comment

He was the first person to appear on Channel 4 when it launched on November 2, 1982.
                  I remember it well...

I was crap at the show but I loved all the puns and could do the numbers bit - my proudest achievement was getting the conundrum before the contestants once, it was 'tarpaulin'...
                  Is it me, or is MOBIUS a horrible person?

Comment

Smile
                    For though he was master of the world, he was not quite sure what to do next
                    But he would think of something

"Hm. I suppose I should get my waffle a santa hat." - Kuciwalker

Comment

Oh dear, mine and Dauphin's humour mentor And of course being a Yorkshireman a face I am very familiar with from my childhood and beyond on Calendar as well as Countdown...bah!
                      Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Wowzers! Thats a real shocker.
                        One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

He will be dearly sidsime.

Comment

Yes, a great shame. Whiteley was a wonderful character on TV...

My funniest memory of him was from "Gotcha" on Noel's House Party... the contestants of Countdown were set up and already given the words, and at one point it went down like this:

"I have diarrhoea"
                            "Yea, I've got diarrhoea too"

Comment

*bump*
                              Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Working...
                              X