No announcement yet.

Cold Mountain - Wow!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Charleston... and how she going to return? She doesn't have property there. All she had was because of her father, the Preacher.
    “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
    - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

My, my... Imran is a serious young man

So she was stuck there... But it all seems a bit too romantic for my tastes. She meets Imran once, they kiss. Then he leaves for war. For how long anyway? One year? Two? But she waits for her one true love, a guy she barely knows... Its the only part of the movie I didn't like.
      Let us be lazy in everything, except in loving and drinking, except in being lazy – Lessing

Comment

But it all seems a bit too romantic for my tastes. She meets Imran once, they kiss. Then he leaves for war. For how long anyway? One year? Two? But she waits for her one true love, a guy she barely knows... Its the only part of the movie I didn't like.

When you have nothing else to live for, you focus on that one thing left. That's why Inman had to die in the end. Because both had built up this idea of the other that wasn't grounded in reality. If he lived, they would have been disappointed in their mental image of the person and the actual person.
        “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”

Comment

Originally posted by nostromo
          She meets Imran once, they kiss.
          Inman is the character in Cold Mountain. Imran is the leading character in the sizzling sequel Hot Mountain.

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
            When you have nothing else to live for, you focus on that one thing left. That's why Inman had to die in the end. Because both had built up this idea of the other that wasn't grounded in reality. If he lived, they would have been disappointed in their mental image of the person and the actual person.
            Wtf? Imran didn't have to die. The writer choose to kill him. Why? There are lots of explanations here. (A) He didn't want an happy end: they get rid of the bad guys, they married, they had children and they lived happy ever after. I admit that would have sucked. (B) He wanted a "tragic" end, to make the women weep and the men brood. Thats' somewhat better than the happy end, but its still the easy way out for the writer. It would have been a lot more interesting If Imran had lived, and if the writer had described their relation and how they get to know each other. It could have happened like you described it, but maybe not. But that would also be a lot harder to write. He died because the writer was lazy.
            Let us be lazy in everything, except in loving and drinking, except in being lazy – Lessing

Comment

Originally posted by Zkribbler

Inman is the character in Cold Mountain. Imran is the leading character in the sizzling sequel Hot Mountain.

Comment

dp

Comment

Of course I didn't have to die, dammit!

Inman, OTOH, DID have to die. The war changed him. He spoke of it beforehand. Also, like I said, they built up this mythical image of each other and they couldn't live up to it. If he was to survive, it wouldn't have worked, and IMO, wouldn't have been as good.

Saying he died because the writer was lazy is nonsense. What fun is it writing about a relationship where the people don't live up to each other's expectation? The story was about the journey and how they reacted during it. It isn't about how they acted when they got together.

What, you want a 2000 page novel? Come on. The only thing to do was to have Inman die. Leaving it open in the end, to ride off into the sunset is the mark of a lazy writer.

Comment

Saying he died because the writer was lazy is nonsense. What fun is it writing about a relationship where the people don't live up to each other's expectation? The story was about the journey and how they reacted during it. It isn't about how they acted when they got together.

What, you want a 2000 page novel? Come on. The only thing to do was to have Inman die. Leaving it open in the end, to ride off into the sunset is the mark of a lazy writer.
                    I'm saying he's lazy because realistic couples are notoriously hard to write. Going beyond the romantic crap would have been a lot more interesting, and a lot harder to write. Anyway, I should probably rent the movie again. And I'm saying all this based on the movie. Anybody who read the book can inform us what was the book about?

Comment

(pssst, it was the re-telling by Charles Frazier of a family legend.)

Comment

I'm saying he's lazy because realistic couples are notoriously hard to write.

Once again, how long would you like the novel to be? The story was the journey. The Odyssey was based on the journey, not the couple when he got back. And it would have been totally anti-climactic.

And as Zkrib mentions, the death was probably part of the legend his family had as well.

Comment

Although...I gotta admit, I have some doubts.

According to family legend, Inman told her his entire story that one night they had together. Do you think she'd have sat there and listened to it, or do you think she'd have been running her horny little fingers through his chest hair, murmuring, "Honey, isn't there something you'd rather be doing than just talking??"

Comment

I'm saying he's lazy because realistic couples are notoriously hard to write.

Once again, how long would you like the novel to be? The story was the journey. The Odyssey was based on the journey, not the couple when he got back. And it would have been totally anti-climactic.

And as Zkrib mentions, the death was probably part of the legend his family had as well.
                            It did remind me of the Odyssey. But the Odysseus/Penelope relation wasn't very important in the Odyssey...Otoh, it seems a lot more important in the movie. Maybe its different in the book. I didn't know about the family legend...

Comment

Well it was supposed to be based on the Odyssey (somewhat) with some modern wrinkles, of course. The love was the reason Inman had to leave his army and make the arduous path home.

Comment

Your DVD should have the Natalie Portman scene that was cut from the movie. IMO, it was an important scene that should not have been cut because it makes Jude Law's character more congruent. To wit, would he really have left a defensless widow alone with a baby - regardless of his quest for his true love?

Comment

Working...
                                X