• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• a new Washington scandal

A Source of Embarrassment
    Gene meets his 'Deep Throat'

By Gene Weingarten

With last month's startling disclosure of the identity of Deep Throat, the books have closed on a particular era of American history. It was an era in which people trusted the media, and the media unapologetically used secret sources to ferret out crime, and being a reporter for The Washington Post was a glamorous occupation that permitted a person to fight injustice, punish wrongdoers and have indiscriminate sex with adoring strangers.

I was lamenting the loss of this era recently with an old friend, a deep Washington insider. I cannot tell you his name. You probably wouldn't recognize it anyway, though you would certainly recognize the names of people who know his name and have used his services. They are America's power elite: presidents, attorneys general, secretaries of state and CIA directors. He is the most connected person I know.

We'd met by prearrangement in an underground parking garage not far from the White House. The following conversation occurred, verbatim.

Me: My wife said to say hello, assuming you know my wife. She asked how your kids are, assuming you have kids.

Secret Source: Say hello back. The kids are fine.

Me: I want you to know that I took the Metro, then a bus, and then a cab to get here, doubling back twice on my own path. I'm sure I was not followed. I knew that would be important to you.

Secret Source: Why would that be important to me?

Me: For the same reason it was important to you that we meet in this parking garage.

Secret Source: That was your idea. I would have preferred that you come to my office for coffee.

Me:

Secret Source: I'm getting concrete dust on my pants here.

Me: Anyway, it occurs to me that you might know about some enormous scandals that could bring down this government, assuming anyone were courageous enough to leak them to the press.

Secret Source: There are skeletons in all sorts of closets, yes.

Me: I want you to know that I will never reveal your identity to anyone, even if I have to go to prison.

Secret Source: I don't care if you reveal my identity. I am not going to tell you anything.

Me: If I write a book, I will give you a nickname. I will call you The Hummer.

Secret Source: Hmmm.

Me: So don't worry about the consequences of leaking anything.

Secret Source: Actually, I had to deal with a serious leak myself this morning. That is why I was late.

Me: Really? That's good! What sort of leak?

Secret Source: From a toilet in my house. It leaked from the second floor to the first floor, through the recessed lighting in the kitchen.

Me: Oh.

Secret Source: You can write that I am going to pay some plumbers off to fix the problem. That is the truth.

Me: Well, look. Will you at least summarize what your job entails these days? The secret stuff.

Secret Source: Sure. There are people who want high-level jobs in government. They need to talk to other people before they go into those jobs, both to make sure that they get the job, and that once they get in, they know what to do and what not to do. I help them with that.

Me: I don't understand.

Secret Source: I know. There are also people who want things from the U.S. government, and I help them, too. Also, some people don't want the U.S. government to do bad things to them, and I help them, too. That's the toughest part of my job.

Me: Do you charge money for this?

Secret Source: Oh, yes.

Me: You're being very vague.

Secret Source: Well, specifically, this afternoon I am going to visit the CIA.

Me: Really? What are you going to do there?

Secret Source: I am going to talk to some people.

Me:

Secret Source: I am not permitted by law to tell you or anyone else what I am doing there.

Me: Okay. Well, if I have to get back to you, what procedure can we use to arrange another meeting? What secret system can we devise to arrange another encounter? How do I initiate contact?

Secret Source: 202-756-3300.

For those that don't get it,

Spoiler:
    that number is the phone number of my dad's law firm, Alston & Bird

For those that don't get it
    Oh my god, when I read that I was like "thats the number of kuci's dad's law firm!!1!".

Comment

The point is that it's a law firm.

Comment

That also explains a lot.
        If you look around and think everyone else is an *******, you're the *******.

Comment

Originally posted by Kuciwalker
          The point is that it's a law firm.
          Why couldn't a law firm be used to initiate contact?

Comment

Did you get the article?

Secret Source: I know. There are also people who want things from the U.S. government, and I help them, too. Also, some people don't want the U.S. government to do bad things to them, and I help them, too. That's the toughest part of my job.

Comment

So is skywalker's dad Alston or Bird?
              meet the new boss, same as the old boss

Comment

Eh, neither. What made you think he was either of them?

Comment

Originally posted by Kuciwalker
                  Eh, neither. What made you think he was either of them?
                  The number of bathrooms he can afford?
                  Stop Quoting Ben

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyCracksCorn

Why couldn't a law firm be used to initiate contact?
                    A law firm is a great place to initiate contact; big anonymous and full of D.C. insiders who are camping out between high ranking Admin jobs and cush lobbying jobs.

And like I said, Kuci's dad being one of these $140k law firm guys explains a lot.

Comment

Originally posted by Bosh

The number of bathrooms he can afford?
                      Have you ever been to America before? My house has 3 bathrooms, and its only me and my mom...

My dad's house has 6 bathrooms, and its only him and my stepmom...

Comment

Originally posted by Timexwatch

And like I said, Kuci's dad being one of these $140k law firm guys explains a lot.
                        I never really understood...lawyers who work their butts off (usually) and other high intellect workers can get that much...and yet, my dad gets around the same salary and all he does is sell lottery tickets...

Comment

The question is "Where does he sell them?"

Comment

Originally posted by Commy

I never really understood...lawyers who work their butts off (usually) and other high intellect workers can get that much...and yet, my dad gets around the same salary and all he does is sell lottery tickets...
                            Good lawyers get a good deal more than 140k a year.
                            "You're the biggest user of hindsight that I've ever known. Your favorite team, in any sport, is the one that just won. If you were a woman, you'd likely be a slut." - Slowwhand, to Imran

Eschewing silly games since December 4, 2005

Comment

Now anyone googling that law firm will pull up a poly thread

And considering your profile lists your real name, presumably, unless you have assumed someone else's, then they can see who your dad is.

That said, it seems like quite a prestigious place to work, and you should be proud that your father has done well for himself and his family

Comment

Working...
                              X