Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

High schoolers face felony charges for . . . . . . reconfiguring their laptops ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• High schoolers face felony charges for . . . . . . reconfiguring their laptops ?

A bizzare tale of school bureaucarcy gone horribly wrong . . . . .

Thirteen Kutztown Area High School students are facing felony charges for tampering with district-issued laptop computers.

According to parent testimony and confirmed by an otherwise vaguely-worded letter from the Kutztown Police Department, students got hold of the system's secret administrative password and reconfigured their computers to achieve greater Internet and network access.

Some students used the newfound freedom to download music and inappropriate images from the Internet.

James Shrawder spoke on behalf of a group of parents of six of the accused at a June 20 school board meeting. He said the administration may have railroaded the process by not providing authorities with the whole story.

"That's absurd," Superintendent Brenda S. Winkler said after the board meeting, in response to Shrawder's allegations that the administration withheld information until the end of the school year.

Shrawder asked that the school board act in order to reverse the damage done by the administration.

Shrawder said the secret password "50Trexler," was widely-known among the student body and distributed early in the school year. It allowed between 80 and 100 students to reconfigure their laptops, he said.

The more computer-savvy students began to disable the administrations' ability to spy on the students' computer use. For others, it became a game, trying to outsmart the administration and compete with fellow students who held the secret, Shrawder said.

"I don't know why this is such a big deal," he said. "At no time was the security of the server breached, and I don't know that it has cost the taxpayers any money."

Winkler agreed that the server, where grades and other private records are stored, was never threatened.

Shrawder acknowledged that the students broke school rules, but he and the other parents protested what they believe is the heavy-handed approach to the problem.

Most of the students accused were freshmen, but a few were sophomores and juniors. None of the accused were seniors.

Parents also worried that a felony conviction would permanently damage their child's record for an infraction that may otherwise have resulted in a grounding if it were discovered by a parent.

"I don't think they knew what this could do to their future," said LeAnn Shoemaker, a parent of one of the accused.

Her 15-year-old son John, who will be a sophomore next fall, agreed.

"I knew it was against school policy," he said. "But I didn't know it was a felony."

Winkler said the administration could not comment on student disciplinary action.

"We continue to collaborate with police," she said.

She also noted that charges have not been formally issued and could not comment on the perceived harsh penalty.

School Board President Don C. Vymazal said he sympathized with the parents.

"They are concerned and we would be too," he said.

For the moment, parents were uncertain how to react to the threat of charges against their children. Paperwork is hung up in county juvenile court system and the only indication of the charges is the letter sent to parents and signed by Officer Walter J. Skavinsky of the Kutztown Police Department.

The Skavinsky letter, dated May 31, says the police were contacted on May 2 by members of the high school staff. An investigation found that 13 students had violated the school's permitted use policy and gained greater access to the school's Internet and intranet resources.

Skavinsky consulted with the Berks County District Attorney's office and recommended charges of "Computer Trespass," in violation of PA criminal code section 7615, which carries a third degree felony charge.

The letter tells parents that juveniles charged with a crime "must present themselves in a timely manner to the arresting police department for the purposes of fingerprinting and identification."

The iBook laptops were issued to all high school students last fall in an experimental program with Apple computers.

The program will cost up to $900,000 over the next four years.

Winkler reaffirmed the district's commitment to the program saying it has been "a learning experience."

This is what happens when an entrenched bureaucracy is afraid of technology .

Solution: Kill them.

Comment

This is just down the road from me. It wasn't a big deal in the local news. Expect cooler heads to prevail.
      "And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you—ask what you can do for your country. My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man." -- JFK Inaugural, 1961
      "Extremism in the defense of liberty is not a vice." -- Barry Goldwater, 1964 GOP Nomination acceptance speech (not George W. Bush 40 years later...)
      2004 Presidential Candidate
      2008 Presidential Candidate (for what its worth)

Comment

If they commited a crime they need to pay the consequences.
        I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
        - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

Kid is a fascist

Comment

The award for stating the obvious goes to . . . . . . Kidicious ! If soemone commits a crime , they should get punished ! How insightful and incisive it that ?!

The operative word here is , of course , the "if" . . . . . . .

EDIT : Could a mod please correct the misspelling in the title ( "highscholers" to "highschoolers" ) ?
            Last edited by aneeshm; June 26, 2005, 03:01.

Comment

Originally posted by aneeshm
              The award for stating the obvious goes to . . . . . . Kidicious ! If soemone commits a crime , they should get punished ! How insightful and incisive it that ?!
              We are proud of the progress he's made so far.
              "And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you—ask what you can do for your country. My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man." -- JFK Inaugural, 1961
              "Extremism in the defense of liberty is not a vice." -- Barry Goldwater, 1964 GOP Nomination acceptance speech (not George W. Bush 40 years later...)

Comment

@ Kid ,

No , that wasn't a criticism of you , as it were , just of the utterly obvious stuff you said .

@ All ,

I don't get it . The school's usage policy read :

Will students be able to install software on the laptop?
                No, students installing software on school owned computers is a direct violation of the KASD Computer Policy. Students who violate the policy will be disciplined. All of the software necessary to integrate the laptop technology into the curriculum will be installed when the laptop is issued to the student. Security monitoring software will be used on all of the computers to assure that software is not loaded on the laptops. See the "Software" webpage in regards to the software installed on each laptop.

Will students be able to email, chat, and play games on their laptops?
                Chat, IM, games, and email software will be removed from all computers. Student use of email, chatting, IM, and game playing is a direct violation of the KASD computer policy. Students who violate the computer policy will be disciplined.

What will the school do to help prevent students from going to inappropriate sites?
                The KASD has a software/hardware product which is designed to help monitor all Internet sites that students attempt to access. This software/hardware blocks inappropriate sites and also logs a history of every site that each user opens. Students who attempt to find inappropriate sites will be disciplined. The current KASD content filter meets CIPA guidelines.

So what exactly can they do ? Use it as a flashy , trendy "Apple" papergweight ?

Comment

I was never a fan of the "Apples in the classrooms" here. My kids used them in school. Unfortunately, they are not learning skills they can use in the real world where Apples are the exception. I'm surprised that a school near here can afford to loan out laptops.

Comment

Actually , Apple skills or Windows skills or Linux skills that are not important - the skill of knowing what an unknown button most likely does is what counts , because if you have that , no computer can faze you , unless you don't know its purpose .

Comment

I agree, the important thing at school (esp. younger pupils) just to learn to be comfortable with computers rather than learning too much in the way of specific skills

Comment

Pah. Back when I was in highschool, they tried to teach us basic computer literacy; a quite failed endeavour since 90%+ were more competent with computers than the teachers.
                        Why can't you be a non-conformist just like everybody else?

It's no good (from an evolutionary point of view) to have the physique of Tarzan if you have the sex drive of a philosopher. -- Michael Ruse
                        The Nedaverse I can accept, but not the Berzaverse. There can only be so many alternate realities. -- Elok

Comment

Originally posted by Last Conformist
                          Pah. Back when I was in highschool, they tried to teach us basic computer literacy; a quite failed endeavour since 90%+ were more competent with computers than the teachers.
                          It failed? So the 90% who knew more than the teachers were still not computer lierate? You must have gome to some school!

Comment

You can't teach people something they already know.
                            Why can't you be a non-conformist just like everybody else?

It's no good (from an evolutionary point of view) to have the physique of Tarzan if you have the sex drive of a philosopher. -- Michael Ruse
                            The Nedaverse I can accept, but not the Berzaverse. There can only be so many alternate realities. -- Elok

Comment

There nothing wrong with basic classes in any of the important areas, numeracy, literacy, computing etc. ensuring that EVERYONE has a certain level of understanding.

If this means the teachers have to put up with a few smartarses along the way the so be it.

Comment

Working...
                              X