Unocal take over bid

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DanS
    I wouldn't mind seeing Chevron and CNOOC get into a bidding war and CNOOC winning. China has been paying premium prices for natural resources lately. The US should sell into those premium prices, as far as I'm concerned.

Chevron's got to do its part and up its bid.
    Fah! If the Chinese are looking to increase their oil intake they should foot the bill for exploration and development rather than

1. Replacing shareholders and management friendly to and in the control of the US government with shareholders and management friendly to and in the control of the Chinese government.

2. Buying the reserves owned by above-mentioned shareholders and managers.

I mean, yeah, if we go to war with China in 20-40 years, we can always nationalize Unocal but I don't want to see that option exercized.

Chevron does have to up the bid, but if they can't I think a white knight (Exxon, Texaco) is necessary - the US can't just allow its assets to be sold like that. Not to China.

Comment

Originally posted by Smiley
      Yep, there's something wrong with China simply buying oil. Real countries invade Middle Eastern countries to get oil.
      The problem isn't Chinese companies doing business the problem is the Chinese government controls this company and thus we don't like it. The Chinese are welcome to privatize their business then go for the merger again but they can't block us taking over their businesses and expect us to be happy when they take over ours. We want and even playing field.
      Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Originally posted by Oerdin
        The problem isn't Chinese companies doing business the problem is the Chinese government controls this company and thus we don't like it.
        In America, the company controls the government, and most of the world doesn't like it.
        Visit First Cultural Industries
        There are reasons why I believe mankind should live in cities and let nature reclaim all the villages with the exception of a few we keep on display as horrific reminders of rural life.-Starchild
        Meat eating and the dominance and force projected over animals that is acompanies it is a gateway or parallel to other prejudiced beliefs such as classism, misogyny, and even racism. -General Ludd

Comment

This kind of reminds me of the 1980s and early 1990s when everyone thought America was going to become Japan Inc. because of their buying "frenzy."

It didn't exactly pan out, did it?

Gatekeeper
          "I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll die defending your right to say it." — Voltaire

"Wheresoever you go, go with all your heart." — Confucius

Comment

The Chinese are welcome to privatize their business then go for the merger again but they can't block us taking over their businesses and expect us to be happy when they take over ours.

Ours?! I think people fail to realize that Multinational Corporations belong to no country.
            “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
            - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Originally posted by Smiley
              Yep, there's something wrong with China simply buying oil. Real countries invade Middle Eastern countries to get oil.
              "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
              "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
              "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

Working...
              X