quick question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• quick question

about applying for a job. it's for the council doing legal stuff, not much to do with computers, but you can either phone up for an application pack and then post it, or download one and submit it via e-mail.

which do people here think is better for something which isn't IT related, i'd be especially interested in hearing from people who hire workers
    "The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton

Whichever they prefer. Seriously.

Find out which method they hire most from and use it.
    I'm consitently stupid- Japher
    I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned

Comment

Download and email. Quicker. Better. Cheaper.

Competition for the job could be a beyatch - why handicap yourself from the get-go by using snailmail?

Comment

Originally posted by Theben
        Whichever they prefer. Seriously.

Find out which method they hire most from and use it.
        Exactly how would he get that info - call up the HR department? Would they even tell him if there's a systemetic hiring bias in the way they do things?

Comment

I don't have an insightful or intelligent response to your question, but that's never been a barrier here at Poly.

I would suggest finding out who is the decision maker. Older decision makers would be more comfortable with the traditional approach. Younger ones would probably prefer e-mails.

But the bottom line will probably be the contents of your application and the quality of you interview, so I won't sweat the method of applying.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnT

Exactly how would he get that info - call up the HR department? Would they even tell him if there's a systemetic hiring bias in the way they do things?
            Yeah, I thought about that & it's unlikely he can get that info outside of asking individuals who work there. But a lot of places will say if they have a preference over method received, they just won't say if they have a bias.
            I'm consitently stupid- Japher
            I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned

Comment

Originally posted by Zkribbler
              I don't have an insightful or intelligent response to your question, but that's never been a barrier here at Poly.

I would suggest finding out who is the decision maker. Older decision makers would be more comfortable with the traditional approach. Younger ones would probably prefer e-mails.

But the bottom line will probably be the contents of your application and the quality of you interview, so I won't sweat the method of applying.
              **** 'em

I'm not sending hundreds of letters anymore! What's next, an accompagning telegram?
              Dammit, there'"s a 'new' and better technology around, use it.

If they don't won't my e-mail, they don't want me.

Strange thing is btw, that many IT companies lean towards snail-mail.
              Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
              Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

yeah e-mail is looking a bit more appealing, saves them reading my awful handwritting too

cheers guys
                "The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton

Comment

Working...
                X