The Spelling Nazi thread.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Spelling Nazi thread.

All right I have a question for you English majors out their regarding the proper use of "is" and "are" in a sentence. It is my understanding that "is" is singular while "are" is plural and that the conjugation of this verb must agree with the noun. So now let’s get to the question. The following two example sentences are about the band Cake (which was chosen at random); Cake has multiple band members but is one band. So which of these two sentences are correct?

1) "You don't know who Cake are?"

2) "You don't know who Cake is?"

My take is that Cake is one band and their name Cake is singular so the verb must make the noun as a singular conjugation. My friend is insisting that multiple people are in the band and so the plural must be used even though the word Cake doesn't end in an "S". I've decided to see what the 'poly language masters have to say on this matter.
    Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

IMO, a science dude:

1) Is asking if you know the individual members of the band; Bob on the drums, George on the kazoo, etc.

2) Is asking if you know if the band as an entity; what songs they play, what genre, etc.
    Monkey!!!

Comment

I thought maybe you needed help spelling 'Himmler' or something.
      Long time member @ Apolyton
      Civilization player since the dawn of time

Comment

I'd go with option 1)

Caveat - Wezil is in no way a spelling Nazi so wait for a more informed answer...
        "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
        "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

I think Japher has it right. Either is grammatically correct, but it depends on what meaning you're going for.
          "The French caused the war [Persian Gulf war, 1991]" - Ned
          "you people who bash Bush have no appreciation for one of the great presidents in our history." - Ned
          "I wish I had gay sex in the boy scouts" - Dissident

Comment

IIRC #2 is correct; had you said, "...the members of Cake..." then it would end with 'are', since it would refer to 'members' & 'Cake' is separated by a conjunction.

Then again the sentence itself might just be bad english.
            I'm consitently stupid- Japher
            I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned

Comment

You rang?

Cake, as in the band, is singular. "You don't know who Cake is?"

If you mentioned the members as a group of individuals, it would be plural: "You don't know who the members of Cake are?"

Hope this helps!

Comment

Not a bad X-post, if you ask me.

Comment

Are you sure you are using that word right?

Monkey!!!

Comment

Just read the two sentences out loud to yourself -- which one is more smoothly flowing? I would think that usually when you read to yourself a sentence out loud, and it makes sense when you verbalize it, it is likely correct. That is one of the reasons why some writers believe in reading their own work out loud -- as part of their editting process.

So I would go with number 2.
                    A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

What about The Smiths?

Do you know who the Smiths are?

Do you know who The Smiths are?

If I'm talking about a family I don't have to say "members of" so why if I am talking about the band?
                      Monkey!!!

Comment

Ming sez I am.

Comment

Originally posted by Japher
                          What about The Smiths?

Do you know who the Smiths are?

Do you know who The Smiths are?

If I'm talking about a family I don't have to say "members of" so why if I am talking about the band?
                          Stop asking questions, and believe everything I tell you.

Comment

Stop asking questions, and believe everything I tell you.
                            Why?
                            Monkey!!!

Comment

grrrr . . . . . .

Comment

Working...
                              X