Crossposting?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crossposting?

Is there a tendency to call double postings cross posting? I thought crossposting refers to one identical post that you put into multiple threads, while double postings result from accidentally clicking the submit button twice (even though this should rarely happen here).
    I have not seen anyone do that, yet I read several times that someone crossposted something.

So what's the meaning of crossposting?

Wikipedia says:
    Crossposting
    From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

Crossposting is the act of posting verbatim copies of one message on multiple message centers, without customising each copy to suit the audience or forum.

The practice likely originated on Usenet newsgroups where individuals seeking replies, an answer to a technical question perhaps, would post the query to related newsgroups. Most Usenet software would store the article only once, with symbolic links to all the other locations.

Presently, the crossposting can mean posting verbatim text to a number of blogs, message boards, sites like Slashdot, or carbon copying the message to a number of mailing lists.

Crossposting is a technique used in Astroturfing to generate the appearance of wide-spread support.

My understanding of it is pretty much the same as WIki.

Comment

The real question is what the heck is "Astroturfing"?
      Blah

Comment

Hmmm... around here, crossposting usually means that while you are typing your response, somebody else posts something that you haven't seen yet that either makes what you are typing not the proper response, or has already answered the question or saying the same thing you are in the process of posting.
        Keep on Civin'
        RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

What Ming says is crossposting or x-posting as typically defined on forums, and the Wiki definition is typically applicable to Usenet/blogs.
          Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
          I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

Originally posted by Solver
            What Ming says is crossposting or x-posting as typically defined on forums, and the Wiki definition is typically applicable to Usenet/blogs.
            Indeed.
            Why can't you be a non-conformist just like everybody else?

It's no good (from an evolutionary point of view) to have the physique of Tarzan if you have the sex drive of a philosopher. -- Michael Ruse
            The Nedaverse I can accept, but not the Berzaverse. There can only be so many alternate realities. -- Elok

Comment

astroturfing??? isnt astroturf that very bad fake grass in the astrodome?...so astroturfing means ****ing up?
              Bunnies!
              Welcome to the DBTSverse!
              God, Allah, boedha, siva, the stars, tealeaves and the palm of you hand. If you are so desperately looking for something to believe in GO FIND A MIRROR
              'Space05us is just a stupid nice guy' - Space05us

Comment

astroturfing: A fake grassroots campaign.
                "In the beginning was the Word. Then came the ******* word processor." -Dan Simmons, Hyperion

Comment

Originally posted by Ming
                  Hmmm... around here, crossposting usually means that while you are typing your response, somebody else posts something that you haven't seen yet that either makes what you are typing not the proper response, or has already answered the question or saying the same thing you are in the process of posting.
                  thx

Comment

Astroturfing: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Astroturfing

In American politics and advertising, the term astroturfing pejoratively describes formal public relations projects which deliberately seek to engineer the impression of spontaneous public reactions to a politician or political grouping, product, service, event, etc. by many diverse and distributed individuals acting of their own volition, when in fact the efforts are centrally coordinated.

The term is wordplay based on "grassroots" efforts, which are truly spontaneous undertakings, largely sustained by private persons (and not politicians, government, corporations, or public relations firms). "AstroTurf" refers to the bright green artificial grass used in some sports stadia.

Astroturfing is carefully designed to appear as though it is the result of popular feeling, rather than a coordinated campaign, perhaps by spin doctors, or through a front organization.

Examples of these kinds of practices can be found throughout recent political history. Some might suggest that the campaigning techniques of certain non-governmental organizations also embrace aspects of astroturfing.

Because, in an ostensibly democratic society, most successful political movements involve the exercise of existing power to achieve widespread public consent (and hence legitimacy), observers may disagree on the line between acceptable support of grassroots activism and astroturfing.
                    dv8ed sums it up pretty good I guess

Comment

Originally posted by Ming

This is the official, canonical definition. Any other definition is by nature, heretical.
                      A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

Someone stands up to put this on Wikipedia?

Comment

Ok I did...

A second meaning has evolved on some internet message boards. Crossposting or also known as x-posting is used to describe that you started typing a response, while in the meantime others submitted, invisibly to you, a posting containing approximately the same message you have posted or render your response inappropriate.
                          Feel free to change it

Comment

Fixed it.
                            "Yay Apoc!!!!!!!" - bipolarbear
                            "At least there were some thoughts went into Apocalypse." - Urban Ranger
                            "Apocalype was a great game." - DrSpike
                            "In Apoc, I had one soldier who lasted through the entire game... was pretty cool. I like apoc for that reason, the soldiers are a bit more 'personal'." - General Ludd

Comment

Comment

Working...
                              X