Are nuke weapons a good thing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Vince278
    I'm aware of what they believed was their reasons for what they did but being aware of an insane person's motivations doesn't make them any less insane.
    Yeah, but you haven't demonstrated any proof of your claim, other than you can't explain their actions. Big deal.
    Tecumseh's Village, Home of Fine Civilization Scenarios

www.tecumseh.150m.com

Comment

Single source documentary, after the opening up of the Soviet records. It does match the other details about what I know concerning Stalin, i.e. the drinking, his personal approval and changes to the district Terror tallies, and his other paranoid behavior that was actually anti-survival as in the extent of the purges. I am normally leary of single source cites, but when everything else is consistant, I will mention them.
      The worst form of insubordination is being right - Keith D., marine veteran. A dictator will starve to the last civilian - self-quoted
      And on the eigth day, God realized it was Monday, and created caffeine. And behold, it was very good. - self-quoted
      Klaatu: I'm impatient with stupidity. My people have learned to live without it.
      Mr. Harley: I'm afraid my people haven't. I'm very sorry… I wish it were otherwise.

Comment

Originally posted by techumseh
        Yeah, but you haven't demonstrated any proof of your claim, other than you can't explain their actions. Big deal.
        Now there's an ostrich sticking his head in the sand. Pop your head out of wherever its sticking and Google for the proof. I'm not going to be your librarian. Past experience has shown me that biased people will deny whatever proof given anyway.
        "And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you—ask what you can do for your country. My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man." -- JFK Inaugural, 1961
        "Extremism in the defense of liberty is not a vice." -- Barry Goldwater, 1964 GOP Nomination acceptance speech (not George W. Bush 40 years later...)
        2004 Presidential Candidate
        2008 Presidential Candidate (for what its worth)

Comment

You'll have to be more specific, but in the morning. Goodnight.

www.tecumseh.150m.com

Comment

Now there's an ostrich sticking his head in the sand. Pop your head out of wherever its sticking and Google for the proof. I'm not going to be your librarian. Past experience has shown me that biased people will deny whatever proof given anyway.
            No, you have to back up your assertion. Evidence, please!

Good night.

www.tecumseh.150m.com

Comment

"And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you—ask what you can do for your country. My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man." -- JFK Inaugural, 1961
              "Extremism in the defense of liberty is not a vice." -- Barry Goldwater, 1964 GOP Nomination acceptance speech (not George W. Bush 40 years later...)

Comment

Stalin and Krushchev insane? WTF? If they were insane we would have already suffered nuclear holocaust.
                “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Paranoids are some of the most highly functional schitzophrenics, and are capable of taking very rational actions based on their paranoid delusions. Also, Stalin had very little opportunity, the first Soviet A-bomb test was 29 August 1949 and Stalin died in March of 1953. If you include developing the infrastructure to start a Nuclear War, and survive it, he simply didn't have time. Thankfully.
                  The worst form of insubordination is being right - Keith D., marine veteran. A dictator will starve to the last civilian - self-quoted
                  And on the eigth day, God realized it was Monday, and created caffeine. And behold, it was very good. - self-quoted
                  Klaatu: I'm impatient with stupidity. My people have learned to live without it.
                  Mr. Harley: I'm afraid my people haven't. I'm very sorry… I wish it were otherwise.

Comment

Well in that case, we can say that Nixon was as sane (or insane, if that is your argument) as Stalin ever was .
                    “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
                      Stalin and Krushchev insane? WTF? If they were insane we would have already suffered nuclear holocaust.
                      What? And lose worshippers?

Comment

Thankfully he targeted his domestic entities. Have you ever watched "The Dead Zone" (movie version with Christopher Walken)? It deals with that issue very nicely. I love the fact that we had a President who as a minimum ended his second term in early stage, and very probably mid-stage, Alzheimer's. He had immediate access to the Big Red Button. Now wasn't that just peachy keen.

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
                          Well in that case, we can say that Nixon was as sane (or insane, if that is your argument) as Stalin ever was .
                          (Once again) How so?

Comment

Don't tell me you know nothing about Nixon's extreme paranoia.

Comment

Sure I do. However, how many Ukranians did he kill? How does Nixon compare to Stalin? (This ought to be good...)

Comment

You are the king of not getting simple concepts aren't you (or what the debate is about, for that matter)?

Nixon was as paranoid as Stalin was. The difference betwen that Stalin was in a society where he could have absolute power and Nixon was not. Though, of course, there are rumblings about Nixon musing about using the army to prevent Congress from getting him.

Do you think that if Nixon was in Stalin's position that he would be less paranoid than Stalin was?

Comment

Working...
                                X