The Google Maps Game

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Google Maps Game

This game uses the wonders of Google Maps, which can show a satellite photo of any location. The clues are screenshots from Google Maps satellite function imaging, and to win, you have to identify what area of the globe is pictured. (Therefore, when making a clue, make sure there's a good name to identify the place by. For example, Gibraltar is acceptable, but a random section of the Eastern Sahara wouldn't work well.)

It's standard guessing game rules. If you guess right, you do the next one. If you're really certain about your guess, you can post a screenshot, zoomed further out, of the area, to prove that you are right. That removes the needless "confirmation" step.

Here's the first image. (The variances in color, are, I assume, due to the photos being taken at different times. But the shape of the land is what's important.) This one is pretty easy, so I expect someone to get it soon.
    Attached Files
    "You're the biggest user of hindsight that I've ever known. Your favorite team, in any sport, is the one that just won. If you were a woman, you'd likely be a slut." - Slowwhand, to Imran

Eschewing silly games since December 4, 2005

Lake Ponchitrain, New Orleans? (sp)

Comment

Not even close.
      "You're the biggest user of hindsight that I've ever known. Your favorite team, in any sport, is the one that just won. If you were a woman, you'd likely be a slut." - Slowwhand, to Imran

Comment

Naw... too hilly/mountainous. I also don't see the bridge.

Comment

Maybe we should institute a rule that after a certain number of wrong guesses, you have to post a further-zoomed-out picture.

Comment

Ontario?
            Stop Quoting Ben

Comment

It looks kind of like it, but no. It's far away from both guesses made so far.

Comment

I think it would be helpful to state which zoom level you're at.

Comment

OK, there are several major cities within the pictured area.

Comment

This one is pretty easy, so I expect someone to get it soon.

I'm thinking that only a person who lives there will get it, or else you're going to have to give more hints.

Comment

I tried zooming out one, but that makes it REALLY obvious.

You're right that people of a certain nationality will get it easily.

Here's a bigger picture, with scale attached. This area is large enough to contain a very small country. Like Luxembourg, maybe.

The city now included in the picture is the largest in the country.
                      Attached Files

Comment

'Tis Greece, where the Peloponnesus connects to the mainland, yes?

Comment

Zurich?

Comment

Originally posted by Jonny
                            'Tis Greece, where the Peloponnesus connects to the mainland, yes?
                            Bingo.

Comment

I believe Jonny's got it!

Comment

Working...
                              X