The new thing in computer graphics: HDR lighting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The new thing in computer graphics: HDR lighting

Fun with HDR lighting. Wonder if next gen consoles will be able to render this **** in real time...

Let us be lazy in everything, except in loving and drinking, except in being lazy – Lessing

... and what exactly is HDR lighting?

Comment

DAMNN!!!!!

Photorealistic games, here we comeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!
      In da butt.
      "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
      THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
      "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

I refuse to believe that's real*

*meaning computer generated

Comment

For more info about High dynamic range imagery:
          technology,hardware,graphics,motherboard,reviews,gaming,video games,pc games,analysis,modding,case mod,news,headlines

HL2: the lost coast will support it. But you'll need a lot or ram. And when I say a lot of ram, I mean 2 GB of ram...
          Let us be lazy in everything, except in loving and drinking, except in being lazy – Lessing

Comment

Both the Xbox 360's chip and PS3's chip support HDR.
            "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
            Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Screenshots of "Alan Wake", a game from the creators of Max Payne, for Xbox 360:

"The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

Looks great, and the story sure is intriguing. But I bet it'll be even shorter than Max Payne 2. Max Payne 2 was like 8 hours long. So this one will be 4 to 5 hours long...

Btw, you can have HDR on graphic cards that support Shader Model 2.0:

HDR is the latest feature in the quest for greater rendering fidelity: Crytek have already added it to Far Cry as part of their 1.3 Patch and it is integral to Epic's Unreal Engine 3.0. Valve recently revealed that they are working on a special HDR showcase for Half Life 2 titled Lost Coast. Whilst Far Cry only implemented HDR via Shader Model 3.0, hence only working on Nvidia's latest-generation cards, Lost Coast will implement it via Shader Model 2.0, allowing for it to work on ATI's current generation.

Comment

The basic thing is support for 96-bit/128-bit floating-point color internally.

24-bit/32-bit color doesn't support the "dynamic range" needed for high-dynamic range lighting internally.

Comment

iirc, those HL2 images above were composited, not rendered real time.

As in, the backgrounds are mere photographs, whereas the HL2 models do use the HDR. Only thing is, I remember reading about this either in MAKE:Blog or /. a month or two ago.
                    B♭3

Comment

What is floating-point, I have heard about this a lot but never could quite figure it out myself (google isn't as reliable as I thought)...

Comment

Originally posted by Q Cubed
                        iirc, those HL2 images above were composited, not rendered real time.
                        Yep

As in, the backgrounds are mere photographs, whereas the HL2 models do use the HDR.
                        Its pretty obvious, if you ask me.

Only thing is, I remember reading about this either in MAKE:Blog or /. a month or two ago.
                        OMFG !1!!!111!!1 you're so 1337!

Comment

Originally posted by Commy
                          What is floating-point, I have heard about this a lot but never could quite figure it out myself (google isn't as reliable as I thought)...
                          decimal numbers where the decimal can move around

ie: 201.391 and 24.1921 are floating point numbers.

It's in contrast to fixed point, where you have a fixed number of numbers before and faster the decimals.

This is again in constrast to integers, which are whole numbers.

Modern computers use integers and floating-point.
                          Last edited by Asher; June 21, 2005, 23:47.

Comment

nostromo, no need to be snarky. you just didn't clarify what part was HDR with your original post, merely presented the composite photographs with no information.

the reason i included that next part about MAKE:blog and what not was to give people pointers on where to search for more information about the compositing.
                            B♭3

Comment

I wasn't being snarky. Hence the And a to you, sir!

Comment

Working...
                              X