Ag subsidies -- I am ashamed of my country

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ag subsidies -- I am ashamed of my country

$46.5 billion a year goes as a payoff to American farmers from the government. The congress should be ashamed of themselves for promoting this theft from the honest taxpayers.

Here's FT's article...

Boost for Blair bid to cut EU farm cash
    By Raphael Minder in Brussels, Frances Williams in Geneva and James Blitz in London
    Published: June 21 2005 20:47 | Last updated: June 21 2005 20:47

Britain's campaign to cut European Union agricultural spending was boosted on Tuesday by a report showing subsidies to farmers in rich countries scarcely budged over the past decade.

Organisation for Economic Cooperation and Development findings will provide ammunition for Tony Blair, the British prime minister, who on Tuesday offered to give up the UK's €4.6bn rebate from the EU budget if farm subsidies were radically cut.

The report says subsidies made up 30 per cent of OECD farmers' incomes on average last year, the same as in 1995, when new rules negotiated in the Uruguay world trade talks came into effect.

Most subsidies are still linked to production, the most trade-distorting support. The EU led the OECD league table for producer subsidies last year with $133bn (€110bn), nearly half the total support of $280bn.

Japan was next with $49bn, with the US just behind at $46.5bn. While EU subsidies to farmers have declined modestly over the past decade, US support rose 18 per cent last year.

Reforms have failed to touch products such as rice and sugar, where subsidies account for up to three-quarters of market value. This is likely to raise fears by competitive agricultural exporters in the Doha round of trade talks that leading subsidisers are not prepared to open markets significantly to imports from the developing world.

The OECD report comes as Brussels launches an overhaul of the sugar subsidy system, which has helped inflate the EU sugar price to about three times the world market price.

Mariann Fischer Boel, agriculture commissioner, proposed a 39 per cent cut in the guaranteed EU price, a reform seen as a test of its willingness to stop dumping and open its market. It is likely to spark an internal confrontation with countries such as Italy and Ireland, whose inefficient sugar producers could be forced out of business.

Writing in today's Financial Times, Mrs Fischer Boel says the overhaul should help silence critics who argue that "the EU sugar regime has been the epitome of everything they feel is wrong with the CAP [common agricultural policy].

She adds: "In 2003 and 2004 the CAP underwent a quiet revolution which all but ushered out farm subsidies linked to production. It would be madness to try to shield the sugar sector from this cleansing wave of reform."

As Britain prepares to take over the EU presidency on July 1, Mr Blair is trying to avoid the impression of intransigence over the rebate, having been blamed by France and Germany for the collapse of last week's budget summit.

"The rebate is an anomaly that has to go," he said after meeting Goran Persson, Swedish prime minister. But it had to go in the context of other financing problems, such as farm subsidies. Mr Blair held an earlier position that the rebate was "fully justified and non-negotiable".
    Last edited by DanS; June 21, 2005, 17:41.
    I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

But, but, but...

ADM and Conagra need the money, Dan! How else are they going to hit their Q3 targets if you take their hard-earned subsidy away?!? This is enough to make teh baby Jesus cry.

You commie!

Comment

I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Why are subsidy recipient lobbies so powerful.
        One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

I too think we should cut on the subsidies and let the farmers produce quality biological food.. the customers can then decide to go with mass produced and probably genetically enhanced cheaper food or more expensive totally natural biological quality food.
          I think there are a lot of people in the EU that care about health and such... the money that could be saved from the subsidies could go into an advertising campaign for the next 2 years raising attention and customer awareness on this issue (the money already goes through the industry that way). After that the money is free to flow into other areas.

I think this would perfectly fit with the anti-smoking campaign and what not else the EU is currently doing in this area.

OTOH, maybe healthy long living people are not so desirable?

Comment

Are you proposing an advertising campaign of €110 billion a year?
            DISCLAIMER: the author of the above written texts does not warrant or assume any legal liability or responsibility for any offence and insult; disrespect, arrogance and related forms of demeaning behaviour; discrimination based on race, gender, age, income class, body mass, living area, political voting-record, football fan-ship and musical preference; insensitivity towards material, emotional or spiritual distress; and attempted emotional or financial black-mailing, skirt-chasing or death-threats perceived by the reader of the said written texts.

Comment

You know my dad is competing in this business
              Anyway, I said cut on the subsidies and not do them away alltogether.. unless "cut on" means do them away in english in which case I have to beg for pardon

Comment

ive got family members who are farmers in the EU and recieve govt handouts, and im against these subsidies, so there.
                "Everything for the State, nothing against the State, nothing outside the State" - Benito Mussolini

Comment

Originally posted by Lawrence of Arabia
                  ive got family members who are farmers in the EU and recieve govt handouts, and im against these subsidies, so there.
                  in the advertising business...

Comment

Originally posted by Atahualpa
                    You know my dad is competing in this business
                    Anyway, I said cut on the subsidies and not do them away alltogether.. unless "cut on" means do them away in english in which case I have to beg for pardon
                    Just give the money back to the taxpayers. Let the farmers themselves deal with advertising.
                    DISCLAIMER: the author of the above written texts does not warrant or assume any legal liability or responsibility for any offence and insult; disrespect, arrogance and related forms of demeaning behaviour; discrimination based on race, gender, age, income class, body mass, living area, political voting-record, football fan-ship and musical preference; insensitivity towards material, emotional or spiritual distress; and attempted emotional or financial black-mailing, skirt-chasing or death-threats perceived by the reader of the said written texts.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnT
                      But, but, but...

ADM and Conagra need the money, Dan! How else are they going to hit their Q3 targets if you take their hard-earned subsidy away?!? This is enough to make teh baby Jesus cry.

You commie!
                      And think of how many lobbyists you'll put out of work if they can no longer get results!

Comment

I know, Kuci.

That sound you here is teh Baby Jesus wailing.

Comment

What will former Senators and Congressmen do?

*cries*

Comment

Comment

Comment

Working...
                              X