Microsoft Word help?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Microsoft Word help?

This is probably a long shot but maybe someone will know something here...

Basically I'm looking to get a large document (~175 A4 pages) printed in such a way that it could be folded and read as a normal book. In other words, printed on both sides, with the pages (approx 250 words per page) printed in such a way that the document could be folded and bound as a normal book... pages read consecutively from left-right like a novel.

At my disposal I have Microsoft Word 2003, Adobe Acrobat Pro 6, and a normal black&white laser printer. I think Word has a "duplex" printing option on the print dialog, but that won't arrange the pages as I need them.

Any takers? Thanks in advance.
    "I work in IT so I'd be buggered without a computer" - Words of wisdom from Provost Harrison
    "You can be wrong AND jewish" - Wiglaf :love:

Print it out normal and then go find one of them fancy Xerox/Photocopy machines that has that feature.
    Monkey!!!

Comment

My guess is that your printer isn't able to print on both sides of the paper - if it was, you would be able to choose it in print setup.
      With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

At A5 yes?

Comment

Or you could write your entire book out using pen and paper.
          A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

I think you are looking for setting the left/right margins for odd/even pages, or something like that. Then you can just print them out normally in duplex, though your printer needs to support such a mode.
            (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
            (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
            (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Take out a few pieces of paper, fold them, and number than as you want them to be numbered. Then take each page and note the numbers on the front and the back. Based on that it should be easy to construct a relationship between the the piece of paper and the page numbers it fits.

Say we have n sheets of paper. Each sheet has two page numbers on the front (say f1, f2) and two on the back (b1, b2).

For the k-th sheet (k = 1, 2, ... n) we have the following:

f1 = n*4 - 2*(k-1)
              f2 = 2*k-1
              b1 = f2+1
              b2 = f1-1

Example:
              For n=4 you should have the following (f1,f2,b1,b2) series, for each k=1,...,4:
              (16, 1, 2, 15),
              (14, 3, 4, 13),
              (12, 5, 6, 11),
              (10, 7, 8, 9)

So to print out all 250 pages simply plug the above into something like C, java, javascript..., print out the numbers on a piece of paper, then print out the pages of your document in the necessary order, based on your results.

Comment

there's a manual duplex mode in print dialog, where you print odd pages first, then reload the whole stack and print the even pages on blank sides. Try with smaller portions first
                Originally posted by Serb:Please, remind me, how exactly and when exactly, Russia bullied its neighbors?
                Originally posted by Ted Striker:Go Serb !
                Originally posted by Pekka:If it was possible to capture the essentials of Sepultura in a dildo, I'd attach it to a bicycle and ride it up your azzes.

Comment

Thanks everyone, I'm going to experiment with this at the w/end. IIRC, words duplex mode will simply print out one side of the sheet on a normal printer, then ask you to invert it. Aphex, that's a great help. I'm not much of a coder so I'll probably manually arrange the document but still saving this thread!
                  "I work in IT so I'd be buggered without a computer" - Words of wisdom from Provost Harrison
                  "You can be wrong AND jewish" - Wiglaf :love:

Comment

Working...
                  X