my job is awesomeness

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• my job is awesomeness

So I'm working at the Naval Surface Warfare Center over the summer, and I'm working on a project with a graduate student doing his master's thesis (plus a doctor who's also working on the project). I'm studying the semiconductor zinc oxide in a thin film on top of sapphire. The graduate student has already made a bunch of sample and annealed them at various temperatures and lengths of time, and my job is to characterize them (specifically, how much the elements drifted or evaporated off). Then we're bombarding the samples with ions (I forget whether they're alpha particles or hydrogen ions) to make some of the oxygen atoms in the zinc oxide turn into nitrogen, doping the semiconductor very nicely (in theory). Today we didn't do much, since we need to get the accelerator working, but tomorrow will be funness.

Haha

You're an experimental condensed matter physicist.

Your life will be filled with the exact same routine for the next 15 years.

12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
    Stadtluft Macht Frei
    Killing it is the new killing it
    Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

They gave you your own 23 private bathrooms there? If so:
      Within weeks they'll be re-opening the shipyards
      And notifying the next of kin
      Once again...

Comment

Excellent post!

*heads to the patent office*
        "In the beginning was the Word. Then came the ******* word processor." -Dan Simmons, Hyperion

Comment

Kuciwalker sounds like he's trying to convince himself. Or boast to us. Either way he's a total parphole!

Comment

Originally posted by KrazyHorse
            Haha

You're an experimental condensed matter physicist.

Your life will be filled with the exact same routine for the next 15 years.

Except that this is just for the summer.

I have no plans on actually doing this, hell, doing physics, as a career.

Comment

But it is definitely cool.
              (\__/) Save a bunny, eat more Smurf!
              (='.'=) Sponsored by the National Smurfmeat Council
              (")_(") Smurf, the original blue meat! © 1999, patent pending, ® and ™ (except that "Smurf" bit)

Comment

Perhaps if you're using the alternate definition of cool found only in ubernerd world.

Excelsior!
                "The French caused the war [Persian Gulf war, 1991]" - Ned
                "you people who bash Bush have no appreciation for one of the great presidents in our history." - Ned
                "I wish I had gay sex in the boy scouts" - Dissident

Comment

Hey, take some time off too ok, teenage passes quickly..very quickly.
                  Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
                  Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

Originally posted by alva
                    Hey, take some time off too ok, teenage passes quickly..very quickly.
                    Only if you let it, I'm thirty six teen

Comment

Working...
                    X