Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• XM Radio

My new

My wife and I were given a MyFi Delphi XM radio over the weekend (actually for her, a present for being ABD).

I played with it for a full 4 hours of travel time in the car, home from a brief excursion.

so many channels of music that you would never hear over the fm. All MLB games, with scores and inning info on the screen.

Would highly recommend to anyone.

Now I just need to figure out how to pipe it through my pc, and save the music for later. I have a colleague that has a program that apparently slices the songs into mp3s...

XM Radio is the greatest when I drive home, about an 8 hour drive.
    I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

My best friend got satellite radio when he bought his new Audi but I'm not that impressed. I don't drive enough to justify the monthly expense and it doesn't have local news or events. The main stations I listen to are 94.9FM (one of the few locally owned noncorporate radio stations left in town) which does lots of local bands & indie rock and 89.5 KPBS which is our local NPR station which offers tons of local programming. Local politics and news, local music and arts information, local businessmen talking about their problems, and announcers going into detail about the coolest little club you've never heard of or the hippest little karaoke bar followed by reviews of the many restaurants. I like that stuff and I can't get it on satellite.

I do like the expanded music selection but then again I have a huge collection of WMA lossless files and a digital music player so I can already listen to up to 40GB worth of songs without commercial interruptions.
      Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

I don't give a rip about local politics or about the local scene. I just care about listening to a wide variety of music, most of which I would have to acquire through illicit means, if I wanted to listen to it.

And with nationwide news stations, CNN, Fox, etc, and espnradio +mlb, foxsports, etc, plus goofy stuff like a scrolling stock ticker and local weather/traffic for maybe 20 markets, just make it too good a value. I love espn radio, but the local station in Indy is too fixated on racing bs (wonder why that is...) and I'd rather get national sports news.

Granted, the city I'm in, Indy, has no local music scene, whatsoever. Dead dead dead. I'm counting the days until I'm out of here.

As far as an MP3 player goes, I have a 30GB Zen XTra, nearly filled of music, and yet I find myself unsatisfied.

edit: the mlb package really seals the deal for me. II love listening to mlb radio broadcasts and since I'm not within range of my favorite team, its a great way to catch the action, without having to go through the internet mlb package.

Comment

Working...
        X