No announcement yet.

The Burma Thread. Everything Burma!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Myanmar/Burma is still economically isolated. The junta is more interested in keeping control and does little to reduce poverty.
    Golfing since 67

Comment

According to the CIA factbook, Burma spends 39 million dollars on its military, and has 11 million people that could actually serve in a military....

Assuming that most of the people and parts of the military would be sympathetic to a democracy, I don't see why a US carrier with 50 aircraft, 20,000 marines, and a few stealth B-2s could easily dispatch the janta...

Comment

Originally posted by lord of the mark

10 points to whoever guesses who that is - hint, its one that there are lot of threads here about. Second hint, its connected to ashers avatar.
        [harry potter mode]

The country which must not be named

[/harry potter mode]

Does that make Che, Aggie, and Tingkai death eaters?
        "Just puttin on the foil" - Jeff Hanson

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter

Comment

Burma and Myanmar are apperently different versions of the same name. Different dialects or something, plus different orthographic conventions (the Brits who came up with "Burma" didn't pronounce postvocalic 'r').

ASSK's folks, when writing in English, use "Burma", last I heard.
          Why can't you be a non-conformist just like everybody else?

It's no good (from an evolutionary point of view) to have the physique of Tarzan if you have the sex drive of a philosopher. -- Michael Ruse
          The Nedaverse I can accept, but not the Berzaverse. There can only be so many alternate realities. -- Elok

Comment

Working...
          X