Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why not a reunion between GB and the US?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Boris:

Former Monty Python member John Cleese did not pen a satirical piece announcing the revocation of America's independence for failure to elect a competent president.

I could tell immediately that it wasn't by John Cleese because it wasn't funny.
    "You're the biggest user of hindsight that I've ever known. Your favorite team, in any sport, is the one that just won. If you were a woman, you'd likely be a slut." - Slowwhand, to Imran

Eschewing silly games since December 4, 2005

Comment

You can find many of America's political policies taken from Star Wars.
      For negotiation with a new country we look to the diplomacy skills of Leia, such as...
      "I don't know who you are or where you've come from, but from now on you'll do as I say, okay?"

Comment

Ban all handguns, nationalise healthcare and stop going to church. Then we can talk.

Comment

Why all this talk about the US rejoining the UK? WHy not the other way around?

Let's be realistic; once Charles takes the Crown, the British will be aching for a republic... and they'll figure, "why spend all this money trying to make our own, when we can join one that already exists?"

I believe it was Adam Smith who advocated incorporating the 13 colonies into the UK... he envisaged that, once their population outgrew the UK's... the Parliament would simply move there.

Oh and the 51st state is Australia. Jeez....

Comment

Australia? You mean that country next to Germany?

Boris, thanks for posting that.
            Long time member @ Apolyton
            Civilization player since the dawn of time

Comment

See I tried to explain that to John Howard. No matter how many favours we do for the USA and how many acts of goodwill and solidarity we perform for the USA... we'll still be confused with Austria

Comment

Or rather, Austria is confused with you guys . Ar-Nold is not enough to counter the effects of Paul Hogan and the Croc Hunter.
                “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Say, if that were to happen, would GB enter as a single state, or as England, Wales, Scotland, and NI?

in any case, wouldn't England be by far the biggest state in the union, and dominate american politics? I think that it would actually be worth their while.
                  urgh.NSFW

Comment

I would suggest dividing it into

England
                    Wales
                    Scotland
                    Ireland

Would Ireland have to be divided in two? Northern Ireland...

We could just take all the people in Northern Island and move em to New York state or something.

Comment

England - with 50+ million people, largest state in the union, pwns american politics.
                      urgh.NSFW

Comment

Isn't there than 50 mil in California?

Comment

Just another Blue State.
                          (\__/)
                          (='.'=)
                          (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

Not counting illegals there is around 35 million people in the state offically though estimates for illegals run any where between 5-12 million. That's a lot of Mexicans who are here but not officially in the system. Do you understand why people are so pissed off with Bush and the other's who let this go on but won't legalize the people either.

Either way the state would get more resources per person. Either you legalize the illegals and the Fed now has to give us money to support all these people's social services or they deport these people and enforce the laws Congress passes and we no longer have to pay for the social services for illegals which are bankrupting us. The current system of passing laws in order to keep the red necks happy then ignoring the laws and not enforcing them to keep business owners happy doesn't work. It lets businesses abuse illegals, it keeps illegals from paying their proper taxes, and it lets the Feds not pay for social services which their policies are effectively dumping on to the state.

Yes, we want some form of positive action from the feds on this to eith legalize or enforce.
                            Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Originally posted by notyoueither
                              Just another Blue State.
                              Well, adding another blue state with similar number of electoral votes to California is going to tip the political landscape completely in favour of the Democrats.

Which, of course, doesn't mean much.
                              (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                              (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                              (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Originally posted by Lancer
                                We fought a war to get rid of the evil monarchy. Now they're just window dressing so it's ok.

We did kick their butts though, didn't we? The great English navy...

End troll.
                                We did get to burn down your White House, though!

http://sleague.apolyton.net/index.php?title=Home
                                http://totalfear.blogspot.com/

Comment

Working...
                                X