Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sata Drive installation

Right....

I've got WinXP on a IDE P-ATA drive, I've got the bloody floppy drive with the S-ATA drivers (damn thing took me 20 min to hook up and find a working floppy. )

So, what exactly do I have do to get that drive working, 'cause so far, no luck whatsoever.

If I hook it up, I get a warning to no HD's are installed, that the BIOS is missing but then a couple of seconds later XP starts to load up from my PATA drive.
    If I only use the SATA drive, nothing happens - but for the warnings - not even the bootable CD starts to kick in (which is WinME).

Help me!!!

PS: Yes, I have enabled Sata in my bios
    Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
    Then why call him God? - Epicurus

I think this is what I did (this was two years ago):

I booted into the P-ATA disk and updated the S-ATA drivers of my motherboard. After that, I was able to use the S-ATA disk.

I have an Intel 865GBF motherboard.

Comment

What's the boot order in the BIOS?

Comment

Originally posted by Zopperoni
        I think this is what I did (this was two years ago):

I booted into the P-ATA disk and updated the S-ATA drivers of my motherboard. After that, I was able to use the S-ATA disk.

I have an Intel 865GBF motherboard.
        And how would I do that? I'm not really following you.

What's the boot order in the BIOS?

Now, it's back 'C' and boot from other devices.

--

The drive should be hooked up on S-ATA1 right?
        Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?

Comment

I think I have it on S-ATA0, but I can't remember clearly.

What I meant was that I downloaded the S-ATA drivers for my motherboard and installed the driver prior to installing the S-ATA disk.
          Maybe you don't need to do this if your mobo is new, but I had to.

Comment

Hmm, but there is no install file, except for a .inf file.

I'm thinking I should upgrade my BIOS, a lot seems to have changed.
            I'm not comfortable doing so though.

This is my MB btw:

Everest tells me I have BIOS version 1.02

I have Sata1 and Sata2, that leads me to think that SATA1 should be correct, no?

Comment

Any tips before I flash it?

Comment

Originally posted by alva
                Hmm, but there is no install file, except for a .inf file.

This will lead to an install file.

Comment

Thanks.
                  It's pretty much the same as the one I had, it's a self-extracting zip file.

I got the driver installed though, now it only needs to show up.

Comment

Working...
                  X