It has been nearly four years.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It has been nearly four years.

In the summer of 2001, I was in Ecuador when I learned of my ex-boyfriend's suicide. One of the most devastating, painful losses I have ever experienced. Grieving 3,000 miles away from your friends and family -- NOT good.

But I can say that it has been some time now since I have fully recovered from my loss. In the midst of my suffering, I could have made decisions that could have ruined my own life -- I could have quit college altogether in despair and just wallow in a rut until I wake up one day and realize I am stuck in an "ordinary" job that I do NOT like. Or I could think of other ways I could have ruined my own life while I was overwhelmed with grief.

I am just happy to say that I have stayed the course. I did not even take a semester break from undergraduate college -- I did well in the classes I took that fall of 2001 in spite of my grief at the time. And that is in addition to dealing with the crisis every other American was dealing with on 9/11 and afterwards.

If you are not comfortable sharing a particular time when you suffered a devastating loss/crisis on here, that is fine. But for those who don't mind -- what crisis did you go through in the past, that you consider to have been your most heart-wrenching, painful experience? And how did you get yourself back on your two feet?

Share with others how you have recovered, and we might end up uplifting others on here, who are not doing so well right now.
    A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Well, when the BBC axed "Eldorado" I managed to pull myself out of a deepening spiral of despair through randomly hurling abuse at people for no reason at all. You hideously warped sack of filth and leper's pus. This allowed me to heal and grow as a person by reminding myself that there's always someone less fortunate than me- and that the cause of their misfortune is me. Which is just too cool for words, frankly.
    The genesis of the "evil Finn" concept- Evil, evil Finland

Comment

Glad you recovered MrFun

I've never had anything so terrible happen to me as losing a loved one unexpectedly. My parents are both gone but in the case of my father his decline from cancer was a long one, so we all knew it was coming. He wasn't a nice guy anyway. Idiot smoked to the last as well. My mother declined for a while also, and was a good person, but I was an adult and had support of my live in gf at the time.

Life is cruel, it's our sense of humor that sustains us. In the end we mostly get really old and decrepid and stink and then die. That's life. I'm just glad I have a good idea what comes after.

Damn, gotta go to work.
      Long time member @ Apolyton
      Civilization player since the dawn of time

Comment

Originally posted by Lancer

Life is cruel, it's our sense of humor that sustains us.

so true
        A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

Working...
        X