Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

shameful admission #22. I don't know how to drive a manual transmission- teach me

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Agathon
    Is this the really foul and shameful thing you wouldn't talk about in the shame thread?
    It's only #22. I have 21 others. Though I admitted one of them. I like the french and french culture. that is #3 on my list.

Comment

Originally posted by Minodrin
      Or as an alternative to Lawrences suggestion.

1 : Press clutch in fully. It doesn't matter if the transmission is in or not, just make sure you have it in either 1 or R (2 will probably work) when you pull out the clutch later.

2 : Turn on the engine. The brake should be pressed down if the car is in such a position that it might roll.

3 : Pull the clutch up at an even pace while giving a bit of gas. Use the clutch at this point to regulate speed.

4 : Drive

5 : When you need to change gears, press the clutch down at an even speed while you let go off the gas pedal.

6 : While the clutch is down, change to whatever gear you want, then press the clutch down again while giving a bit of gas. Experience lets you know the proper timing to give gas to keep speed. You can give gas later (if you change fast enough), you will just lose speed while changing if you do that.

7 : To park, stop car with the clutch held down, turn off the engine, switch to gear 1 (this stops the car from moving, using the handbrake is also possible), then step away from the car.

I think that about covers it, unless I have forgotten some critical detail (or just had a brainfart and written something wrong at one point).
      you make it seem too easy. wikipedia has all kinds of instructions. Inlcuding shifting at appropiate RPM's. It's hard driving safely when you have to glance down at the tachometer frequently.

Comment

Or as an alternative to Lawrences suggestion.

6 : While the clutch is down, change to whatever gear you want, then press the clutch down again while giving a bit of gas. Experience lets you know the proper timing to give gas to keep speed. You can give gas later (if you change fast enough), you will just lose speed while changing if you do that.
        Isn't this just for double clutch vehicles?
        It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
        RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

meh, it looks too complicated. I'll just buy a car with an automatic. . but wikipedia says you can get an estra 2 mpg from a manual transmission. That's hard to pass up.

Comment

I think that releasing the clutch after shifting gears and give some appropriate gas is better than pressing the clutch

Gearing down involves clutch, break appropriate, shift gear down release clutch and pess gas gently.

Oh, and don't jump over gears unless you are breaking heavily.
            With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

Originally posted by rah

Isn't this just for double clutch vehicles?
              I think that it was his brainfart
              With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

Originally posted by Dissident

you make it seem too easy. wikipedia has all kinds of instructions. Inlcuding shifting at appropiate RPM's. It's hard driving safely when you have to glance down at the tachometer frequently.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manual_...ving_technique
                You don't have to look at the tachometer - just listen to the engine - after some practice you know when to shift.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

meh, it looks too complicated. I'll just buy a car with an automatic. . but wikipedia says you can get an estra 2 mpg from a manual transmission. That's hard to pass up.
                  Better fuel economy, faster acceleration, pinpoint control on parking....
                  The genesis of the "evil Finn" concept- Evil, evil Finland

Comment

Plus on a new car it seems to save you between 750 and 2000 smackeroos.

Our Civic is standard but the minivan only came automatic IIRC

Instructions have already been given in detail. You don't need to watch RPMs as Engine sound and feel will cue you after a while. On a bicycle you know when to change gears , right ??
                    You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

It's tough to teach someone how to grow testicles.
                      "The French caused the war [Persian Gulf war, 1991]" - Ned
                      "you people who bash Bush have no appreciation for one of the great presidents in our history." - Ned
                      "I wish I had gay sex in the boy scouts" - Dissident

Comment

i don't know how to ride a bike.
                        B♭3

Comment

Actually, the clutch isn't nessecary - I have once experienced a broken clutch cable and managed to get the car to the repair shop.

It was easy to gear up, but a little difficult to gear down.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

I learned to drive a stick when I was 33, from QOTM. Motive was to save money on a new car. She learned from the autodealer who sold her a previous car.

Its not all that hard. But I think easier to learn from someone, than from written instructions, here or anywhere else.

Hint - try to learn someplace FLAT. I learned in Northern Virginia. Ouch.

For years afterwards QOTM insisted I wasnt doing it right. I love catching her in the wrong gear

And I still think its a pain in *ss.

Easier parking?? What are you talking about - i much prefer parking an automatic.
                            "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

Originally posted by Lawrence of Arabia
                              there are three pedals - clutch, break, gas (from left to right.) to change gears, you need to push the clutch all the way in.

so.

when the car is off, put the stick in neutral. then press the brake and turn the car on (flat ground is a good spot to start) then press the clutch down (with your left foot, while keeping the right foot on the break) move the gear shifter into (1) then give some gas and slowly release the clutch. dont be afraid to give too much gas, but dont floor it either.
                              Why press the brake when you're holding the clutch down?
                              Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
                              Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

To keep it from rolling downhill.
                                It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                                RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Working...
                                X