Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

shameful admission #22. I don't know how to drive a manual transmission- teach me

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• shameful admission #22. I don't know how to drive a manual transmission- teach me

teach me please

I was thinking about buying a car that is more environmentally friendly. I love my pickup, but I feel guilty about driving it now. I'm going to buy a used car. I don't have much money, so I may have to buy a car with a manual transmission. But I never learned how to properly drive one. I tried learning on a 1976 plymouth volarie once, I couldn't seem to figure it out. but I didn't have a good teacher. I'm good at starting off in first gear, it's switching gears I can't figure out. I'm always too scared I'll mess up the transmission.

Shameful Admission #1: I dont know how to drive. At all.

Comment

hehe, practise is the keyword
      good luck

Comment

I don't know how to drive a stick shift either. I've never sat in the driver's seat of one either.
        “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
        - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

its easy.
          "Everything for the State, nothing against the State, nothing outside the State" - Benito Mussolini

Comment

DL alert.

and practice is the kind of advice I don't like . It's like when people tell me to be confident when talking to girls when trying to help me with my girl problems.

Comment

Originally posted by Dissident
              DL alert.

and practice is the kind of advice I don't like . It's like when people tell me to be confident when talking to girls when trying to help me with my girl problems.
              Illur is TLC's sister. She comes from Eventis. She is nay a DL.

Comment

I'm always too scared I'll mess up the transmission.
                Be confident.

Comment

there are three pedals - clutch, break, gas (from left to right.) to change gears, you need to push the clutch all the way in.

so.

when the car is off, put the stick in neutral. then press the brake and turn the car on (flat ground is a good spot to start) then press the clutch down (with your left foot, while keeping the right foot on the break) move the gear shifter into (1) then give some gas and slowly release the clutch. dont be afraid to give too much gas, but dont floor it either.
                  "Everything for the State, nothing against the State, nothing outside the State" - Benito Mussolini

Comment

Originally posted by Space05us

Illur is TLC's sister. She comes from Eventis. She is nay a DL.
                    LIES! clearly i'm a DL!

Comment

Re: shameful admission #22. I don't know how to drive a manual transmission- teach me

Me neither. Do what Theben did. Test drive manual transmission cars until you figure it out.
                      Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

learning to drive cars without manual transmission are stupid

Comment

Is this the really foul and shameful thing you wouldn't talk about in the shame thread?
                          Only feebs vote.

Comment

Or as an alternative to Lawrences suggestion.

1 : Press clutch in fully. It doesn't matter if the transmission is in or not, just make sure you have it in either 1 or R (2 will probably work) when you pull out the clutch later.

2 : Turn on the engine. The brake should be pressed down if the car is in such a position that it might roll.

3 : Pull the clutch up at an even pace while giving a bit of gas. Use the clutch at this point to regulate speed.

4 : Drive

5 : When you need to change gears, press the clutch down at an even speed while you let go off the gas pedal.

6 : While the clutch is down, change to whatever gear you want, then press the clutch down again while giving a bit of gas. Experience lets you know the proper timing to give gas to keep speed. You can give gas later (if you change fast enough), you will just lose speed while changing if you do that.

7 : To park, stop car with the clutch held down, turn off the engine, switch to gear 1 (this stops the car from moving, using the handbrake is also possible), then step away from the car.

I think that about covers it, unless I have forgotten some critical detail (or just had a brainfart and written something wrong at one point).

Comment

agreed with Che, learn to do it on someone else's car.
                              We learned when we were kids by driving the truck used to pick up the golf balls at the driving range. (We all wanted to make the big bucks car parking at the country club in the evenings so we had to learn)
                              By the end of the summer, the trunk only had two working gears, 2nd and 4th. It made picking up the range quite exciting since you were draging around the heavy device for picking up the balls.
                              It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                              RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Working...
                              X