Help me with my Computer!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help me with my Computer!

So I just formatted and reinstalled windows...

And I want to get everything back to working...

Now before I formatted, I copied everything over to another drive, which I have access to.

So now.. how do I get things back?

First question, how do I import everything back to thunderbird, the only options I can find in it is to import things from Eudora and Outlook.

Jon Miller
    Jon Miller-
    I AM.CANADIAN
    GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

man that was scary...

the only place my emails were at (with stuff like the proof that I bought HL2 and all my comunication with my Dad, and so on) was on a Backup disk I did..

JM
    Jon Miller-
    I AM.CANADIAN
    GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

I take it you recovered all your data?
      We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

not yet...

but I was worried it was gone for a second (I forgot microsofts hidden directories.. so didn't copy them over)

(luckily the backup I did got everything)

JM
        Jon Miller-
        I AM.CANADIAN

Comment

Okay, I got this from mozillaZine:

1. Create a Thunderbird profile. Usually you just launch it for the first time and it will automatically create a default profile for you. Once this is done exit Thunderbird. It will be under Application Data somewhere. Find it.

2. Copy the entire contents of your existing Thunderbird profile folder, including all subfolders, into this new profile folder.

3. Use a text editor prefs.js to reflect the new profile folder location. I use crimson on Windows, it is a great little program. Replace all the instance of the old profile paht with the new one.

4. Restart Thunderbird. Your profile should be migrated. If not, check your prefs.js carefully.
          (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
          (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
          (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

what if the backup program I used renamed a number of the files?

anyone have thunderbird and are willing to help me?

JM
            Jon Miller-
            I AM.CANADIAN

Comment

actually, I probably need to do something like uncompress it...

this sucks..

JM
              Jon Miller-
              I AM.CANADIAN

Comment

Now I can't find the Nero disk...

JM
                Jon Miller-
                I AM.CANADIAN

Comment

Originally posted by Jon Miller
                  what if the backup program I used renamed a number of the files?
                  That can be REALLY bad.

Originally posted by Jon Miller
                  anyone have thunderbird and are willing to help me?
                  I am using it now...
                  (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                  (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                  (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

thanks

I reinstalled the backup program I had used..

and it renamed all the files back to what they were suppose to be

so then I could figure out what was suppose to go where..

Jon Miller
                    (a couple files were lost because of it's renaming.. but they were only web pages from my temp folder... so unimportant)

(HL2 is almost up and running)
                    Jon Miller-
                    I AM.CANADIAN

Comment

Working...
                    X