What's up with Windows Media Player?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's up with Windows Media Player?

I recently downloaded and installed WMP 10 and so far I am okay with it, but there is a process "wmplayer.exe" that consumes 5-8MB of memory and that will not shut down after I closed the media player.
    When I kill the process it reappears right in the next moment.

I didn't find an option to disable that...

Wow and I renamed wmplayer.exe to wmplayer.exe.bla and killed the process... it didn't reappear, though magically there was just another wmplayer.exe created in the same directory... What the heck is going on???

I don't dare to start that piece again

Comment

All Your Base Are Now Belong to Them.
      Only feebs vote.

Comment

Originally posted by Atahualpa
        Wow and I renamed wmplayer.exe to wmplayer.exe.bla and killed the process... it didn't reappear, though magically there was just another wmplayer.exe created in the same directory... What the heck is going on???

I don't dare to start that piece again
        Hercules and the Hydra
        Only feebs vote.

Comment

Yeah, but you don't have any idea to stop this btw?

Comment

Discover the innovative world of Apple and shop everything iPhone, iPad, Apple Watch, Mac, and Apple TV, plus explore accessories, entertainment, and expert device support.

Don't you have a "kill" function.

I bet that it's scanning your drive for evidence of pirated media and will shortly dob you in to Billy boy and his merry pranksters.
            Only feebs vote.

Comment

Is wmplayer.exe safe or is it a virus and should you remove it? Find all about wmplayer exe windows host process information and fix wmplayer erorr Windows.
              Only feebs vote.

Comment

Although other sites say it's spyware.
                Only feebs vote.

Comment

I just turned off WMP and checked but no such program is using any system resources on my computer. Maybe someone else knows.
                  Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Try system restore if you have it available and restore your system to its state prior to "upgrading" windows media player.
                    "In Italy for 30 years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed. But they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love. They had 500 years of democracy and peace. And what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."
                    —Orson Welles as Harry Lime

Comment

Originally posted by Agathon
                      Discover the innovative world of Apple and shop everything iPhone, iPad, Apple Watch, Mac, and Apple TV, plus explore accessories, entertainment, and expert device support.

Don't you have a "kill" function.

I bet that it's scanning your drive for evidence of pirated media and will shortly dob you in to Billy boy and his merry pranksters.
                      I'm not sure if that's good advice, because Apple is the worst offender in the PC world for leaving applications using system resources when you don't want it to (Quicktime and iTunes I'm thinking of).

As for the problem here, sounds like you got some spyware.
                      "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                      Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

I'm thinking you have spyware as well since I have the same application but I'm not experiencing the problems you are. Run the latest Microsoft Spyware program on your computer and go to trendmicro's site to get a few scan.
                        Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Try manually editing startup entries through msconfig .

Or you can use an operating system which did not start life as a toy . . . . . . .

Comment

Hmm thx for the input, I am running a full scan with Ad-Aware now, though it's strange that I got Spyware since I use IE for nothing but windowsupdate and the wmplayer.exe file is in the folder where the windows media player is installed to.

I also have an Antivirus running in the background which should check for malicious software.

Try manually editing startup entries through msconfig .
                            I don't think this will help as the startup entries are processed only once, yet the programm reappears right the next moment that I kill it.

Comment

Hmm okay I found 2 dialers in the registry and a tracking cookie.. deleted them.. I wonder where I got them from

wmp also seems to close down completely now.. I don't know what was wrong yesterday... this is even more strange because I did not switch off the computer, only sent it to hibernate.

Comment

Working...
                              X