I'm getting old- name me some good new music

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm getting old- name me some good new music

I can't think of anything released in 2005 that is any good. Everytime I turn on the radio, everything I hear is crap. the one exception is Cigaro by System of a Down. BYOB is okay, but kind of mellow for those guys. The whole new album seems weak. I like melody, but for these guys, I want them to be heavier, not wimpier.

And why is it so many bands release a heavy first album, and then they ***** (rhymes with wussy) out? I hate that. I want heavy music, not girlie music.

I try to keep up with new music. Some of it is decent. I liked godsmack. And of course system of a down. And tool (though their music is in a class of its own). Even the one hit wonders had some decent songs. Like that song: she ****ing hates me (last year). But every time I turn on the radio now, I hear nothing redeeming at all. Just pale imitations of the music that was popular the past few years.

It's a good thing I still have all my old tapes and CD's (and mp3's). I miss when Thrash music was popular (it was never really popular, but there were many bands doing it). I miss guitar solos. Even Metallica doesn't do them anymore. Are these new bands so devoid of talent and inspiration they can't come up with a decent guitar solo?

Name me some good new music please.

The other day when driving in California I happend to turn on a jazz and a classical station. That music is very relaxing when driving. It makes me want to kill people less when driving. You know you are getting old when you start liking classical and jazz music. I need to find stations like that in Vegas. The one station I was listening to was 91.5 in Los Angeles.

Another sign I'm getting old was when I was at Hooters recently. I kept thinking these girls are just underdressed. It wasn't even hot outside (in fact, it was downright cool in San Diego), and these girls were just underdressed. I really don't care to see women dressed like that anymore. It doesn't do anything for me. Although that might be a sign I'm turning gay.

My God Diss, you are getting old
    Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

I've been listening to Kasabian lately and I like their sound. Postal Service is ace as is Modest Mouse's good news for people who love bad news album. For more mellow try Cat Power's you are free or Mia Doi Todd's latest album. The Decemberists are always worth a listen as well.
      Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

As a general rule you will never hear anything good on the radio. You must look for independent (indie) bands and attend a few concerts. Alternatively the net provides a great place to ferret out good indie bands plus you can get internet casts or torrents of their stuff so you know you like it before you buy it.
        Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

I suppose the same applies to me too really, I am interested in some new bands. Nothing too soppy or soft though, mind you
          Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

White Stripes
            Common
            Mos Def
            What can make a nigga wanna fight a whole night club/Figure that he ought to maybe be a pimp simply 'cause he don't like love/What can make a nigga wanna achy, break all rules/In a book when it took a lot to get you hooked up to this volume/
            What can make a nigga wanna loose all faith in/Anything that he can't feel through his chest wit sensation

Comment

Buy the new Dream Theater album: Octavarium
              No commercial waste of time. Music that grows on you everytime you listen to it!

The song Octavarium (24 minutes) is a real masterpiece.

Music with a capital 'M'!
              Formerly known as "CyberShy"
              Carpe Diem tamen Memento Mori

Comment

Milemarker and Books Lie might be up your alley, they sound Hardcore/Emocore to me. Jawbreaker is an excellent post-punk band but they've been broken up for awhile. For more mellow music there's Grandaddy.

I noticed that the "Alternative" stations are really going downhill. They're still stuck in 2000 with all the bands that got big around then. They've turned away from being alternative in a general way to just pumping the Metallica, System of a Down, Linkin Park stuff 24/7. I usually just listen to sports radio - the ESPN stations usually have good stuff and Dan Patrick is great to listen to.

For those that like indie music like Pavement, Cat Power, and emo bands you should check out SomaFM's station IndiePop Rocks. It's a free internet station at www.somafm.com. They have superb music and just the occasional station identification. I've found a ton of new bands through them like The Jim Yoshii Pile-Up.
                I never know their names, But i smile just the same
                New faces...Strange places,
                Most everything i see, Becomes a blur to me
                -Grandaddy, "The Final Push to the Sum"

Comment

Yah. Metallica got big around 2000.
                  Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
                  "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Clear sign your really old is when u find urself listening to more talk radio then music stations I dont do that but i know somebody who does. as far as the scantilly clad waitress at hooters you will find most women have thought that for years.
                    When you find yourself arguing with an idiot, you might want to rethink who the idiot really is.
                    "It can't rain all the time"-Eric Draven
                    Being dyslexic is hard work. I don't even try anymore.

Comment

http://eurovision.ert.gr/video/video...&newsid=121511

Comment

I'm not saying they got big, but the music they churned out at the time was imitated and is still given air time. Although you could say they achieved a second round of popularity around then.

Anyways, Yahoo's create your own radio station is surprisingly good. I'd never pay for it but as it is I find it has a decent selection of music I like and new to me bands that are similar. Epitonic also has a large selection of music that you can play for free.
                        I never know their names, But i smile just the same
                        New faces...Strange places,
                        Most everything i see, Becomes a blur to me
                        -Grandaddy, "The Final Push to the Sum"

Comment

This is all chicks' music.

AC/DC Let There Be Rock

now there's an album....
                          Only feebs vote.

Comment

Isnt creed more of a chick band then ac dc??
                            When you find yourself arguing with an idiot, you might want to rethink who the idiot really is.
                            "It can't rain all the time"-Eric Draven
                            Being dyslexic is hard work. I don't even try anymore.

Comment

I think that was his point

Comment

Working...
                              X