A Senatorial atonement for past blocking of anti-lynching bills

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by KrazyHorse
    I think this might shed some light on the issue, Ned.

http://www.pbs.org/kera/usmexicanwar/
    Did you just put Ned on my ignore list? I don't use the "ignore list" feature, so if you did, kindly undo it.

You sly dog, you.
    "I say shoot'em all and let God sort it out in the end!

Comment

http://www.historyguy.com/Mexican-American_War.html
      12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
      Stadtluft Macht Frei
      Killing it is the new killing it
      Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Originally posted by Boris Godunov

Wouldn't know it from reading Ned's posts.
        Yes, unfortunately, we STILL have some people who are taught self-congratulatory, narrow-minded history.

But as others have shown what they had been taught, it has improved in spite of some the lingering bad history being taught.
        A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

@ KH's links

I needed a good laugh -- thanks.
          A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

As one of the older posters here, I must admit to being happily surprised by some of you younger posters here, i.e. under 30. Imran, Kuci, and Mr. Fun are all showing a higher degree of historical acumen (I almost NEVER get to use that word ) than most people who graduated HS prior to 1980. I only picked up my historical knowledge due my love of Kriegspieling (German for wargaming), much of the history I was taught is much closer to Ned's version. Of course Ned is much closer to my age, considering the fact he has a daughter in the vicinity of Kuci's age. US Historical education does appear to be improving.
            The worst form of insubordination is being right - Keith D., marine veteran. A dictator will starve to the last civilian - self-quoted
            And on the eigth day, God realized it was Monday, and created caffeine. And behold, it was very good. - self-quoted
            Klaatu: I'm impatient with stupidity. My people have learned to live without it.
            Mr. Harley: I'm afraid my people haven't. I'm very sorry… I wish it were otherwise.

Comment

Yes, it is quite remarkable just how anti-American US education has become. One might actually believe, even without more evidence, that the US educational system is dominated by the left.
              http://tools.wikimedia.de/~gmaxwell/jorbis/JOrbisPlayer.php?path=John+Williams+The+Imperial+M arch+from+The+Empire+Strikes+Back.ogg&wiki=en

Comment

DECLARATION OF THE PEOPLE OF TEXAS IN GENERAL CONVENTION

ASSEMBLED

Whereas, General Antonio Lopez de Santa Anna, and other military chieftains, have, by force of arms, overthrown the federal institutions of Mexico, and dissolved the social compact which existed between Texas and the other members of the Mexican confederacy; now the good people of Texas, availing themselves of their natural rights.2

SOLEMNLY DECLARE,

1st.

That they have taken up arms in defence of their rights and liberties, which were threatened by the encroachments of military despots, and in defence of the republican3 principles of the federal constitution of Mexico, of eighteen and twenty-four.4
                2d.

That Texas is no longer morally or civilly bound by the compact of union; yet, stimulated by the generosity and sympathy common to a free people, they offer their support and assistance to such of the members of the Mexican confederacy as will take up arms against military despotism.5

Somehow, I find it amazing that people are not taught what actually happened, but some fiction that substitutes anti-Americanism for fact. Santa Ana overthrew the constitution and abolished the states, and two states revolted. One was Texas. That is the reason for the war.
                http://tools.wikimedia.de/~gmaxwell/jorbis/JOrbisPlayer.php?path=John+Williams+The+Imperial+M arch+from+The+Empire+Strikes+Back.ogg&wiki=en

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Strangelove

Errrrr...... We're talking about Mexico. I don't think they had the 9th and 10th amendment in their constitution. You can't use US law when discussing politics in Mexico.
                  Dr. Strangelove, they were Americans, after all. They believed in States Rights, as each state was viewed as a sovereign nation with an elected government. They entered Texas to become both citizens of Texas and citizens of Mexico.

There is very little doubt that the historical record supports the notion that States Rights was the very reason for the revolt.

Comment

errr....... Ned, one of those rights included the right to keep other people as slaves.
                    "I say shoot'em all and let God sort it out in the end!

Comment

• Mississippi, New Hampshire, Texas, Utah and Wyoming

Nebraska

Hagel sure hasn't been doing much recently to get my vote the next time around...
                      KH FOR OWNER!
                      ASHER FOR CEO!!
                      GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by Dr Strangelove
                        errr....... Ned, one of those rights included the right to keep other people as slaves.
                        So, why did that OTHER state revolt? Or, is it your position that liberty with slavery is not worth it? Then you deny our own revolution and our own constitution. We, as the Texans decades later, were fighting tyranny even though we had slaves.

Comment

• Originally posted by shawnmmcc
                          As one of the older posters here, I must admit to being happily surprised by some of you younger posters here, i.e. under 30. Imran, Kuci, and Mr. Fun are all showing a higher degree of historical acumen (I almost NEVER get to use that word ) than most people who graduated HS prior to 1980. I only picked up my historical knowledge due my love of Kriegspieling (German for wargaming), much of the history I was taught is much closer to Ned's version. Of course Ned is much closer to my age, considering the fact he has a daughter in the vicinity of Kuci's age. US Historical education does appear to be improving.
                          Ditto for me. I graduated from HS in 1978. My history education was far different from that of the younger posters here. Even that recently, Columbus was still a brave explorer and hero. And what did you say? Mexico and the US ... had a war?

You younger 'Polytonites are the first "Lies my Teacher Told Me" generation.
                          Official Homepage of the HiRes Graphics Patch for Civ2

Comment

• Originally posted by KrazyHorse
                            I think this might shed some light on the issue, Ned.

http://www.pbs.org/kera/usmexicanwar/
                            I actually fell for that one.
                            Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

• Originally posted by DRoseDARs

Et al.

Erm, the black man who was dragged to death behind a pickup a few years ago in Texas doesn't count as a lynching?
                              Of course not, lynchings don't happen anymore.

EDIT: I didn't realize this was on to page four already
                              Rethink Refuse Reduce Reuse

Do It Ourselves

Comment

• To be fair the Mexican government did invite most Americans in Texas to settle in order to populate the state (an error they didn't want to repeat in California) plus when they settled in Texas Mexico was a democracy. The problem was Mexico turned into a military dictatorship with absolute power to the government. The Texans weren't the only ones to revolt against the military dictatorship and seek independence at that time since both the United Central American States (everything from Guatamaula to Costa Rica though that country later fell apart) and the Maya of the Yucatan both successfully rebelled. The Yucatan was later reconquored by the Mexican government though while Central America broke down into several successor states and Texas was annex by the US by popular vote.

The point is there were a lot of people in what was then Mexico who were very unhappy with the ending of democracy in Mexico and the beginning of the dictatorship. Did the US take advantage of that fact in order to get what it wanted? Oh, hell yeah.
                                Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Working...
                                X