Is 24 hour News Too Much?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is 24 hour News Too Much?

Who here watches news constantly throughout the day. Last time I did was in 2003 and my unit was depolyed. At Ft. Sill the mess halls had multiple TVs or when we had spare time we would watch the news down in the day room. Besides that I may catch News on TV once a week. Usually when I'm flipping through the channels.
    Which side are we on? We're on the side of the demons, Chief. We are evil men in the gardens of paradise, sent by the forces of death to spread devastation and destruction wherever we go. I'm surprised you didn't know that. --Saul Tigh

No, not really... when done right.

CNN Headline News is really the best 24 hour news out there (unfortunetly). None of the major news channels go in depth into the important news or international news, so it is best to watch the 30 minute Headlines (and supplement it with online reading for international news) whenever you have time and leave the fluff to the other channels.
    “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
    - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

In the summer of 2002, the 24 hour news channels reported every kidnapping of a child that happened in the country. They made a big deal about everything, instilling fear in every parent's heart, while acting as if this were a new big epidemic in the country. In reality, the number of children abducted hadn't statistically changed, merely the reporting given it.

And what new show premiered in the fall? Of course, Without a Trace

So in short, yes, the 24 hour news is out of control.
      Visit The Frontier for all your geopolitical, historical, sci-fi, and fantasy forum gaming needs.

Comment

I always see 24 hours news in places like doctor's office waiting rooms, diners, etc. I don't think so many people actually watch all 24 hours from their homes.

Sometimes I'm flipping around and they happen to have something good when I get to it...or when I know about something that will be on them in advance, like when OzzyKP is scheduled to be on...
        meet the new boss, same as the old boss

Comment

Originally posted by DerSchwarzfalke
          In the summer of 2002, the 24 hour news channels reported every kidnapping of a child that happened in the country. They made a big deal about everything, instilling fear in every parent's heart, while acting as if this were a new big epidemic in the country. In reality, the number of children abducted hadn't statistically changed, merely the reporting given it.

And what new show premiered in the fall? Of course, Without a Trace
          Or when a few years back we supposedly had a shark attack epidemic when actually there were LESS attacks than the year before. I think the media in general is out of control, at least in the US. It cares more about sensationalist crap instead of anything important. In my local paper, a Michael Jackson trail article was more important than France rejecting the EU constitution. It's the new age of Yellow Journalism.

Comment

I really only see 24 hour news when there are a reason - that is when there is someting like 9/11 or the tsunami. Otherwise it is just spam that doesn't have anything to do with my life.
            With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

I watch CBC Newsworld quite a bit. Its actually the only 24hr news network I get with basic cable, but fortunately its pretty good.

Comment

Just how much local and thereby relevant news do you get ?
                With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

How much would you get if you read online news?

I try to balance myself out: local newspaper, state and national news online, national news on TV. It pretty much works.
                  meet the new boss, same as the old boss

Comment

Originally posted by mrmitchell

How much would you get if you read online news?

I try to balance myself out: local newspaper, state and national news online, national news on TV. It pretty much works.
                    Yup, just my point. CNN etc are fine when the **** hits the fan, but otherwise it is not relevant.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

[james earl jones] When **** hits the fan, CNN is there[/james earl jones]
                      Which side are we on? We're on the side of the demons, Chief. We are evil men in the gardens of paradise, sent by the forces of death to spread devastation and destruction wherever we go. I'm surprised you didn't know that. --Saul Tigh

Comment

It's OK when you don't get the same stuff hour-in, hour-out..
                        www.my-piano.blogspot

Comment

Originally posted by BlackCat
                          Local news is irrelevent to me, so I never watch or read it, except for weather and traffic reports.
                          “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                          - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui

Local news is irrelevent to me, so I never watch or read it, except for weather and traffic reports.
                            I agree. Its usually just fluff.

If anything really important happened in your town it would probably be covered on the national news anyways. Save for local election... if you're interested in them to begin with.

Comment

btw have they released the Jackson verdict yet? I haven't been watching. I mostly go online for news now. I hate waiting for a bunch of crap news, to hear about the story I want.

Comment

Working...
                              X