Plug-n-Play Linux distributive

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Plug-n-Play Linux distributive

Do you know any plug-n-play linux distributive except Mandrive? I want to try other distributives but I'm bad at configuring.
    money sqrt evil;
    My literacy level are appalling.

Gentoo , Slackware , or Debian . Or maybe "Linux from scratch" ?

Just joking , actually you might try out Ubuntu 5.04 , or possibly Fedora 4 ( coming out in July , IIRC ) .

Comment

Slackware and Gentoo are far from Plug-n-Play. Does Debian autodetect and automount FAT disks? Is there an option to autoconfigure X-Win KDE?
      money sqrt evil;

Comment

I said I was joking , and that you might want to seriuosly try out Ubuntu 5.04 ( Hoary Hedgehog ) , or the upcoming Fedora ( Fedora 4 ) .

Comment

Do you want a Live CD such as Knoppix?
          (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
          (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
          (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Have you considered trying Windows?
            "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
            Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

That didn't take long
              meet the new boss, same as the old boss

Comment

Originally posted by Asher
                There's no need to get desperate.
                Only feebs vote.

Comment

Originally posted by Asher
                  [Asher mode]

He's asking about Linux, not Windows.

[/Asher mode]
                  (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan

Comment

Originally posted by Urban Ranger
                    [Asher mode]

He's asking about Linux, not Windows.

[/Asher mode]
                    [RMS mode]

Actually, he's asking about GNU\Linux Distributions, not Linux.

[/RMS mode]
                    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Debian is not Plug-n-Play but it is relatively easy to configure.
                      money sqrt evil;

Comment

Anyone willing to fuel another promising flamefest between Asher and UR ?

@ Asher

When someone says they want to try out Linux , they have obviously considered windows ( actually , that's Microsoft Windows , with a capital W , because windows could also refer to the X window system ) , and found it lacking .

@ muxec

If you want a user-friendly , Debian based distro , Ubuntu seems to be quite good . I use it muself . Though you'll have to provide details of what hardware it will run on and what jobs you expect it to do .

Comment

YEAh why don't you try Live CD?

Debian at least used to be one of the toughest *****es to get work right, haven't tried it in few years but by default I would not recommend that as your first one if you're not into configuring.

Red Hat is always easy, Fedora 3 is OK.. these days they all have installations with graphics pretty much.. like Fedora 3 has anaconda etc.. (actually fedora being close to red hat).

haven't tried Ubuntu that aneeshm suggests, but I've heard it's good for first time Linux users who don't want to hassle with the installations, configurations etc..

Fedora 3 should autodetect your FAT disks.. and then you can make the partitions with Disk Druid in the installation process etc. It also has some automatic mode, I'm not sure how that works though.
                          In da butt.
                          "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
                          THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
                          "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

Debian 3.1 was recently released (sarge became stable) (after 3 years of development and 1 year of announcing it will be stable soon - omg was about time)

Have heard lots of good things about Ubuntu as well (but not tried for myself)...

Comment

Originally posted by Pekka
                              Red Hat is always easy, Fedora 3 is OK.. these days they all have installations with graphics pretty much.. like Fedora 3 has anaconda etc.. (actually fedora being close to red hat).
                              Fedora Core 3 is quite decent - they took care of dependency hell with yum. FC4 is out soon too.

haven't tried Ubuntu that aneeshm suggests, but I've heard it's good for first time Linux users who don't want to hassle with the installations, configurations etc..
                              Ubuntu is indeed very smooth in the installation department. My big complaint against it is it doesn't have a root per se and anybody can run sudo...

Fedora 3 should autodetect your FAT disks.. and then you can make the partitions with Disk Druid in the installation process etc. It also has some automatic mode, I'm not sure how that works though.
                              You pretty much don't need to use Disk Druid these days. The automatic detection checks your HDD(s) and gives you an option of where to install FC3.

The thing is you still need to mount the FAT partitions if you want to access them - and play with fstab if you want them mounted automatically or let others to have more than the default read permission.

Comment

Working...
                              X