Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Washington DC Al Qaeda

Bush to Congress: Renew Patriot Act

Thursday, June 9, 2005 Posted: 2:21 PM EDT (1821 GMT)

COLUMBUS, Ohio (CNN) -- President Bush on Thursday called on Congress to reauthorize the 16 provisions of the USA Patriot Act that are slated to expire at the end of the year, calling them "practical, important and ... constitutional."

"Congress needs to renew them all and, this time, Congress needs to make the provisions permanent," Bush told an audience of about 150 officers at the Ohio State Highway Patrol Academy in Columbus.

Bush said the act, passed six weeks after the September 11, 2001, terrorist attacks, "closed dangerous gaps in America's law enforcement and intelligence capabilities."

He said that authorities have used the act to bring terrorism charges against 400 people, with more than half of those charges leading to convictions.

Since its passage, "America's law enforcement and intelligence personnel have proved that the Patriot Act works, that it was an important piece of legislation," Bush said.

He credited the act with helping federal, state and local law enforcement authorities "break up terror cells in New York and Oregon and Virginia and in Florida."

He added, "The Patriot Act has accomplished exactly what it was designed to do: it has protected American liberty and saved American lives."

Specifically, the act broke down a "bureaucratic wall" between law enforcement and intelligence that has resulted in better sharing of information, he said.

Further, the act allowed agents to set up "roving wire taps," which let authorities monitor the communications of terrorist suspects who use different cell phones without requiring they first obtain separate authorizations to tap each phone.

And the act allows Internet providers to help law enforcement officials trace threatening e-mails without risking a lawsuit, Bush said.

Bush noted that Congress oversees the application of the act, and he said he would soon name five people to serve on a federal board created by Congress to ensure that Americans' privacy and civil liberties are respected.

"Sen. Dianne Feinstein worked with civil rights groups to monitor the use of the Patriot Act; here's what she said: 'We've scrubbed the area, and I have no reported abuses,'" Bush said.

"Remember that the next time you hear someone make an unfair criticism of this important, good law."

The Democrat from California did indeed make that comment about a year ago, after the American Civil Liberties Union approached her for support in opposing the act, said Howard Gantman, a spokesman for Feinstein.

"We basically said we've very much like to hear about specifics," Gantman said. "The ACLU then, for really over a year, had no specific abuses they could point to. On their behalf, I'd say one of their problems, like us, is we have a helluva time getting information from the Justice Department about what was going on there."

The ACLU, in a posting on its Web site, said the Bush administration and former Attorney General John Ashcroft "essentially refused to describe how it was implementing the law; it left numerous substantial questions unanswered, and classified others without justification.

"In short, not only has the Bush administration undermined judicial oversight on government spying on citizens by pushing the Patriot Act into law, but it is also undermining another crucial check and balance on surveillance powers: accountability to Congress and the public."

america, say no to fascism.
    "Everything for the State, nothing against the State, nothing outside the State" - Benito Mussolini

I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

but carrying with the copycat thread title was much more rewarding
      Monkey!!!

Comment

Indeed and very inspired .

Good title.
        “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
        - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

i bet you guys didnt see this one coming, eh?
          "Everything for the State, nothing against the State, nothing outside the State" - Benito Mussolini

Comment

totally took me by surprise

I was sitting her typing and seeing "Canadian Al Qaeda" and was all "oh that's nice, stupid Canada" and then I saw "California Al Qaueda" and I was "makes sense"... and then, out of nowhere I saw "Washington DC Al Qaeda" and I was WTF! That Fcking Nuts!!!!!

It made my day
            Monkey!!!

Comment

i was watching bill oreilly the other day and he said that he had a government report from sweden that says that their gay marriage law has caused the marriage rate to drop dramatically.

funny, cuz i didnt think that sweden has gay marriage legislation.

Comment

Working...
              X