• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Identify this quote!

And I need actual source material - not "Oh, I think it was in... "

Here goes:

"What does it do?"
    "That's the beauty of it. It doesn't do anything!"

Finding the source to this quote has become a minor mania over the past two years, first hitting the IMDB, then becoming fodder for blogs, and then slowly creeping its way across the message board circuit (landing on the Straight Dope where I found it), and even making it into Snopes.

This is your chance for Internet Immortality! What are you waiting for????
    Yes
    42.86%
    No
    28.57%
    How the hell would I know?
    28.57%

clearly it originated here

Comment

This quote looks like a story often repeated in my family.

It is a discussion between my father and the Director of my school.
      My father: What does he do?
      The Director: He does not do anything.
      Myself (motivated by an absolute lack of desire to work): That's the beauty of it.

I cant imagine how JohnT has been made aware of that very personal incident which is tentatively disguised by changing He by IT in the first two phrases.
      Statistical anomaly.
      The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Comment

i know it is from a movie...and when someone comes up with the right name is will say oh ofcourse...but right now i am drawing a blank..
        Bunnies!
        Welcome to the DBTSverse!
        God, Allah, boedha, siva, the stars, tealeaves and the palm of you hand. If you are so desperately looking for something to believe in GO FIND A MIRROR
        'Space05us is just a stupid nice guy' - Space05us

Comment

My brother recals it being from The Pretender, a TV-show.

Jarod, captive in the Center, has buid something. Miss Parker ask, "What does it do?" to which Broots, who is also present, answers, "That's the beauty of it, it doesn't do anything."

Kinda hard to verify....

Personally, I thought it would be an answer to Jarod about some trinket he gets fixated to, as he usually does, like Mr. Potato Head or Pez dispenser. (He has live all of his life cooped up in an institute... Coz he is a genious.)
          Last edited by Tattila the Hun; June 9, 2005, 09:53.
          I've allways wanted to play "Russ Meyer's Civilization"

Comment

could work...but it also might be from 51st...when sam L. explains about POS51
            Bunnies!
            Welcome to the DBTSverse!
            God, Allah, boedha, siva, the stars, tealeaves and the palm of you hand. If you are so desperately looking for something to believe in GO FIND A MIRROR
            'Space05us is just a stupid nice guy' - Space05us

Comment

Sounds like something that could be said between O'Neill and Carter in Stargåte, SG1... But then it would be, "That's the beauty of it, sir..."

This will surely ruin the civilization!!!
              I've allways wanted to play "Russ Meyer's Civilization"

Comment

damn... this one is a brain teaser.
                Monkey!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Kuciwalker
                  clearly it originated here

nope, it originated here
                  veni vidi PWNED!

Comment

Funnily enough I at first guessed the same thing as the people in your Snopes thread: it's either from a Simpsons episode or I seemed to hear it in the HHGTTG movie.

Oh well. I'm not losing sleep over it.
                    meet the new boss, same as the old boss

Comment

It's the real expensive machine that goes bing!
                      Monkey!!!

Comment

Ender's game. It's Ender's game. I think it has something really close to that, anyway.

Really, we've seen variations of this quote for ages, and everyone has heard something like it somewhere.
                        "You're the biggest user of hindsight that I've ever known. Your favorite team, in any sport, is the one that just won. If you were a woman, you'd likely be a slut." - Slowwhand, to Imran

Eschewing silly games since December 4, 2005

Comment

The Red Herring!
                          What can make a nigga wanna fight a whole night club/Figure that he ought to maybe be a pimp simply 'cause he don't like love/What can make a nigga wanna achy, break all rules/In a book when it took a lot to get you hooked up to this volume/
                          What can make a nigga wanna loose all faith in/Anything that he can't feel through his chest wit sensation

Comment

It's a cliche bit of dialogue used to show that a character is eccentric. Having a machine that doesn't do anything is wonderfully absurd, which is why lots of writers use variations on that line when they want to make a goofy, eccentric character.
                            "You're the biggest user of hindsight that I've ever known. Your favorite team, in any sport, is the one that just won. If you were a woman, you'd likely be a slut." - Slowwhand, to Imran

Eschewing silly games since December 4, 2005

Comment

Damnit. That bothers me, I know Ive seen/heard that somewhere before.

The first thing that popped into my head was Q from a james bond movie. But he never made anything useless.

Comment

Working...
                              X