Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What comes to mind when you think of the Renaissance?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Late-19th-century "style" architecture.
    Världsstad - Dom lokala genrenas vän
    Mick102, 102,3 Umeå, Måndagar 20-21

Comment

Galileo and Michaelangelo
      (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
      (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
      (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

TEH MEDICIS!!!
        Originally posted by Serb:Please, remind me, how exactly and when exactly, Russia bullied its neighbors?
        Originally posted by Ted Striker:Go Serb !
        Originally posted by Pekka:If it was possible to capture the essentials of Sepultura in a dildo, I'd attach it to a bicycle and ride it up your azzes.

Comment

Originally posted by BeBro
          it is related to the "Otto blahblah" emperors of the early times of the holy roman empire...
          Is one of them the Otto who wiped the floor with the Magyars at the battle of somethingoranother? I'd always figured that guy was "only" considered The Great for, y'know, stopping the Magyars from wiping out the empire or whatever, but did they also do stuff like wear pantaloons and codpieces? (Because a renaissance just isn't a renaissance without those key ingredients...)
          <p style="font-size:1024px">HTML is disabled in signatures </p>

Comment

Venice, Florence, Prague, Cracow, Ragusa, the rise of modern banking, the decline of the power of the Church, and stunning architecture and art.

And aggressive codpieces like Henry VIII's and Francis I's.
            Vive la liberte. Noor Inayat Khan, Dachau.

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

Originally posted by Buck Birdseed
              Late-19th-century "style" architecture.

i hope this is a very sarcatic joke....if so

if not late 19 century is way past the renaissance...

renaissance started around 1400 in italy...
              Bunnies!
              Welcome to the DBTSverse!
              God, Allah, boedha, siva, the stars, tealeaves and the palm of you hand. If you are so desperately looking for something to believe in GO FIND A MIRROR
              'Space05us is just a stupid nice guy' - Space05us

Comment

Originally posted by molly bloom
                <...>, Florence, <...> <...> the rise of modern banking, <...>and stunning architecture and art.
                As I said, TEH MEDICIS
                Originally posted by Serb:Please, remind me, how exactly and when exactly, Russia bullied its neighbors?
                Originally posted by Ted Striker:Go Serb !
                Originally posted by Pekka:If it was possible to capture the essentials of Sepultura in a dildo, I'd attach it to a bicycle and ride it up your azzes.

Comment

Originally posted by DeathByTheSword

Apparently not in Sweden!
                  "I say shoot'em all and let God sort it out in the end!

Comment

Originally posted by Ted Striker
                    Why are you so interested in me anyway? You want a date or something?
                    Are you free this weekend?

Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
                    Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

Wigs

Whigs
                      "Spirit merges with matter to sanctify the universe. Matter transcends to return to spirit. The interchangeability of matter and spirit means the starlit magic of the outermost life of our universe becomes the soul-light magic of the innermost life of our self." - Dennis Kucinich, candidate for the U. S. presidency
                      "That’s the future of the Democratic Party: providing Republicans with a number of cute (but not that bright) comfort women." - Adam Yoshida, Canada's gift to the world

Comment

People in tights.
                        Blog | Civ2 Scenario League | leo.petr at gmail.com

Comment

Originally posted by loinburger

Is one of them the Otto who wiped the floor with the Magyars at the battle of somethingoranother? I'd always figured that guy was "only" considered The Great for, y'know, stopping the Magyars from wiping out the empire or whatever, but did they also do stuff like wear pantaloons and codpieces? (Because a renaissance just isn't a renaissance without those key ingredients...)
                          Yeah, the victory of Otto I. and the following consolidation of the empire lead to an upswing in several fields (said renaissance) that was in place even during the reign of the second and the third Otto. OTOH even the second Heinrich's rule saw something of it when he followed the third Otto, so it is not exclusively an Otto-specific phenomenon.

Of course, they all had no idea of codpieces back then. That's what you get when barbarians without pantaloons try to make a renaissance
                          Blah

Comment

Originally posted by DeathByTheSword

buck is apparently referring to renaissance REVIVAL architecture.
                            "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

madrigals. Salome Rossi. Tudors. Lovely Italian paintings. Devious Italian politics. The rise of the State. That sort of thing.

The early phase of EU2, when I messed up by not investing enough in infra. But heard lots of pretty music. Over and over again.
                              "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

Originally posted by Saras

As I said, TEH MEDICIS
                                Ah, but stunning architecture appeared elsewhere in Italy- Venice and the Papal States, Milan- not under the jurisdiction of the Medicis.

And the Medicis weren't solely responsible for modern banking methods- the Bardi and Peruzzi were bankers too, and Luca Pacioli describes double entry bookkeeping as a practice followed in Venice- which also of course had a system of insurance for its merchants, and a very rich oligarchy.
                                Attached Files
                                Vive la liberte. Noor Inayat Khan, Dachau.

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

Working...
                                X