Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Gov. Perry of Texas to gay veterans: Don't come home.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MrFun
    Nope, that wasn't my point.
    I know that wasn't your point. However, it is the logical conclusion of your argument. The fact that your own arguments stand against you says something...

Comment

yada yada yada
      Those are not political bases. Your political base is gays and liberals. Together these two groups probably constitute about 20% of American society. In addition, there's another 20+% who think gays should be allowed to marry, but don't really care, and can't be arsed to do anything about it. Opposed are some 50+% of the population who are opposed some vehmently.

You don't have the Feds on your side. You don't have the Church on your side. You don't have international pressure on your side. You don't have the Courts on your side.

Unless we see some major radicalization in the next decade or so, which not beyond the realm of possibility, after all the 50s gave us the 60s, not only is nothing going to change, but things could very well get worse. There is sufficient support in the U.S. for a Constitutional Amendment prohibiting gay marriage.
      Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Not really -- since a civil war would not be justified given that gays do not suffer from discrimination or repression the par that blacks have suffered.

EDIT: cross posting
        A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

Originally posted by Last Conformist
          I must admit that the prospect of a few million bible-belters killed isn't entirely unattractive.
          Unfortunately, not only are they the ones with guns, they are also the ones who know how to use guns and are willing to kill.
          Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Originally posted by chegitz guevara

Those are not political bases. Your political base is gays and liberals. Together these two groups probably constitute about 20% of American society. In addition, there's another 20+% who think gays should be allowed to marry, but don't really care, and can't be arsed to do anything about it. Opposed are some 50+% of the population who are opposed some vehmently.

You don't have the Feds on your side. You don't have the Church on your side. You don't have international pressure on your side. You don't have the Courts on your side.

Unless we see some major radicalization in the next decade or so, which not beyond the realm of possibility, after all the 50s gave us the 60s, not only is nothing going to change, but things could very well get worse. There is sufficient support in the U.S. for a Constitutional Amendment prohibiting gay marriage.

Actually, we do have several religious-based organizations, and a few religious denominations who sympathize with our cause.

Comment

Not really -- since a civil war would not be justified given that gays do not suffer from discrimination or repression the par that blacks have suffered.
              That is my point, that frankly, I wouldn't consider any violence worth gay marriage. However, by your argument such would be necessary to achieve it.

Comment

Actually, we do have several religious-based organizations, and a few religious denominations who sympathize with our cause.
                Right, liberals. Aside from the Unitarians, what major church is with you?

Comment

Originally posted by chegitz guevara
                  Unfortunately, not only are they the ones with guns, they are also the ones who know how to use guns and are willing to kill.
                  If you're refering to guns in civilian hands, they don't matter.

If you're refering to a Southern dominance in the army (I seem to recall hearing of one), that's a bother.
                  Why can't you be a non-conformist just like everybody else?

It's no good (from an evolutionary point of view) to have the physique of Tarzan if you have the sex drive of a philosopher. -- Michael Ruse
                  The Nedaverse I can accept, but not the Berzaverse. There can only be so many alternate realities. -- Elok

Comment

Some Episcopalian churches are sympathetic, although thid did create a split among Episcopalians with the conservative churches turning away in disgust.

EDIT: another cross post

Comment

• Originally posted by Last Conformist

If you're refering to guns in civilian hands, they don't matter.

If you're refering to a Southern dominance in the army (I seem to recall hearing of one), that's a bother.
                      Not so much, though, given that the North has all the nukes

Comment

• Originally posted by Kuciwalker

I always thought Atlanta looked like a nice place for a radioactive crater.
                        Why can't you be a non-conformist just like everybody else?

It's no good (from an evolutionary point of view) to have the physique of Tarzan if you have the sex drive of a philosopher. -- Michael Ruse
                        The Nedaverse I can accept, but not the Berzaverse. There can only be so many alternate realities. -- Elok

Comment

• Originally posted by Last Conformist
                          I must admit that the prospect of a few million bible-belters killed isn't entirely unattractive.
                          They most likely have a considerable degree more shootin' hardware and an even more considerable degree of proficiency in the use thereof than do libruls and other such sorts. Not to mention a disproportionately higher representation in military service.
                          When all else fails, blame brown people. | Hire a teen, while they still know it all. | Trump-Palin 2016. "You're fired." "I quit."

Comment

• Originally posted by Kuciwalker

Crewed by southerners.
                            When all else fails, blame brown people. | Hire a teen, while they still know it all. | Trump-Palin 2016. "You're fired." "I quit."

Comment

• Atlanta is very liberal, actually. It's the rest of Georgia that's scary.

Comment

• They most likely have a considerable degree more shootin' hardware and an even more considerable degree of proficiency in the use thereof than do libruls and other such sorts. Not to mention a disproportionately higher representation in military service.
                                riiiiight. thats why they beat us the last time around in the 60s right? (1860s that is) and you would have to deal with the black and minority southerns in your back yard who wouldnt mind taking some revenge on da masta for over a century of repression.
                                "Everything for the State, nothing against the State, nothing outside the State" - Benito Mussolini

Comment

Working...
                                X