Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The 1st Amendment and Private Property - contradictory?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MichaeltheGreat
    What you've claimed as a general rule is merely a very constrained exception to the opposite general rule.
    You're just about as bad as Imran. I never claimed a general rule. If you think so, you need to evaluate how you interpret what people claim.
    I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
    - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

You're just about as bad as Imran.

By which you mean, he's correct in every facet .
      “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
      - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
        You're just about as bad as Imran.

By which you mean, he's correct in every facet .
        Only in his own mind, like you.

Comment

Considering your reputation on these boards, perhaps the only delusions stem from your mind, the Kidiverse, as it is .
          “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”

Comment

That's your belief in relativism. You think just because someone believes something it's true.

Comment

I wasn't the one that said Best Buy has to allow people full free speech as long as it does not disturb anyone .

Comment

Originally posted by Kidicious

You're just about as bad as Imran. I never claimed a general rule. If you think so, you need to evaluate how you interpret what people claim.
                I was being polite. I was referring to your vague and shifting claim as a "general rule" because that sounded nicer.
                When all else fails, blame brown people. | Hire a teen, while they still know it all. | Trump-Palin 2016. "You're fired." "I quit."

Comment

Originally posted by David Floyd
                  That is of course correct, Imran, but the 1st Amendment really does not apply against corporations. The wording states "Congress", and the 14th Amendment, by virtue of the, IIRC, Gitlow decision, incorporates the 1st to apply against the states.
                  Corporations, however, are creations of the government. Therefore, Congress would be within it's rights to restrict their speech.

Re the question of media corproations: as lessees of public property, the Federal government is within its rights to require that these specific media corproations don't practice censorship for political reasons. They don't, but they could.
                  Last edited by chequita guevara; June 11, 2005, 14:29.
                  Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Corporations, however, are creations of the government. Therefore, Congress would be within it's rights to restrict their speech.
                    That's a different argument. It doesn't deny that corporations are within their rights to restrict speech on their property.
                    Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/DaveDaDouche
                    Read my seldom updated blog where I talk to myself: http://davedadouche.blogspot.com/

Comment

Working...
                    X