Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scotland Is Great!

SCOTLAND IS GREAT!

So I got here a week ago for a port visit, here being the HMNB Clyde or better known as Faslane, and have come to the conclusion that this is definelty the best liberty port I have seen so far.

For one, the base is at the very end of the Firth of Clyde, and even though the transit was a pain in the ass and took four hours, it was absoluntely beautiful. I was literally taken away by the geography.

Then we get to the base, which though some of the buildings are a little dilapidated, the place is a fortress. Granted it is their nuclear base, so it is probobly alot more secure than the rest of their sites, but we Americans could learn a thing or too about Force Protection from these guys. They are also professional Base gets a coolness point.

So after fie days of liberty getting drunk with the crew in Helensbough, Glasgow, and Edinbough the ship left for an excersise and left me here in Glasgow as a liason with the RN for two weeks. Which means I drink and tour ****. They gave me a car too

Things I have liked them most so far was the royal mile at Edinbough. Glasgow is nice but has a real industrial revolution feel. Edinbough is the more chiche castle city or sorts. Lot to see in the day, alot of bars and clubs at night.

I have fallen in love with the trains. You would think Mussollini was running the damn things. Clean and fast, and not too much either. Wish America had something similar.

The Macintosh buildings in Glasgow are great too. Most of my buddies back home are architects, I am sure they will like the pictures.

Things I have to do still is go to Stirling for the castle, also a local told me about a windmill/lock thing that I should see. Want to get to the Highlands if possible, do some hiking maybe. And lastly some of the officers said the Falkirk battlefield was sort of cool.

So anyone else know of something I should go see or do?
    "The DPRK is still in a state of war with the U.S. It's called a black out." - Che explaining why orbital nightime pictures of NK show few lights. Seriously.

Try and find a whisky distillery tour.

There is some good hiking around Loch Lomond without having to go too far into the Highlands.
    Never give an AI an even break.

Comment

Re: Scotland Is Great!

Originally posted by Patroklos

If your time allows, check out Callanish on the Isle of Lewis. It's an incredible place- Scotland's Stonehenge.

Slightly closer, Iona is well worth visiting.
      The genesis of the "evil Finn" concept- Evil, evil Finland

Comment

Re: Scotland Is Great!

Visit the Burrell Collection:

When Sir William Burrell and his wife, Constance, Lady Burrell, gifted his collection of over 9,000 works of art to Glasgow, the city acquired one of the greatest collections created by one person. William Burrell had been an art collector since his teens, and the collection is made up of a vast array of works of all periods and from all over the world.

You can wander round important collections of medieval art, tapestries, alabasters, stained glass and English oak furniture, European paintings, including works by Degas and Cézanne, an important collection of Islamic art, and modern sculpture including works by Epstein and Rodin. Children will be fascinated by the works from days of long ago -we have a fine collection of works from ancient China, Egypt, Greece and Rome. Architectural features from the collection have been integrated into the structure of the building -you can walk under arches built for medieval lords and ladies. There are also reconstructions of rooms from Sir William’s home, furnished in gothic style with items from the collection.

In 1944, Burrell and his wife signed the Deed of Gift of their collection to the City of Glasgow. They wanted the collection to be housed in a building 16 miles from the centre of the Glasgow, to show the works of art to their greatest advantage, and also to avoid the damaging effects of air pollution. Sadly, no suitable site had been identified by Burrell's death in 1958, but Mrs Anne Maxwell Macdonald and her family gifted Pollok House and 360 acres of Pollok Estate to the City of Glasgow in 1967. Although within the city boundaries, it was agreed that this offered a wonderful setting for the collections.

and Pollok House, too.

Oh, and some of 'Greek' Thomson's buildings:

100% satisfaction guaranteed. Hassle-free shopping. We help you find the right domain name.
        Attached Files
        Vive la liberte. Noor Inayat Khan, Dachau.

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

Thanks guys.

I had heard the museums were good, will definetly take a look.

Looks like I will be making a trip to Storoway as well, someone got injured and was medevaced to a coast guard base up there. I am sure that will be a scenic drive to say the least.

I can't believe the weather here. It was sort of rainy while the ship was in but the last few days have been beautiful.
          "The DPRK is still in a state of war with the U.S. It's called a black out." - Che explaining why orbital nightime pictures of NK show few lights. Seriously.

Comment

Hi, glad you're enjoying it over here Patroklos. In Glasgow check out the Tall Ship down at the quays, the Willow Tea Rooms in Buchanan Street. If you're looking for a good place for a pub crawl, I recommend Ashton Lane, just off University Avenue.

Check out Glasgow University; we're the 4th oldest university in the UK (est. 1451). It was also the last university in the UK to have separate male and female student unions. It has the largest collection of Whistler paintings in the world in the Hunterian Art Gallery.

Unfortunately you will have just missed the full Glasgow University experience: 1) term finished last week & 2) the university destroyed Millie the Dinosaur, a magnificent T. Rex sculpture that adorned the University's front lawn, 3 weeks ago. It was one of the reasons I came to study here!

I'd offer to meet up but you've just caught me at the wrong time. My exams just finished yesterday, and I'm flying home on Friday, so it's a bit hectic at the moment.
            STDs are like pokemon... you gotta catch them ALL!!!

Comment

Glad you like it.

If you like the train, try taking one of the Highland lines rather than driving.

Comment

A pity the football season is over. Taking in a Partick Thistle match would raise your consciousness.

Scottish football is based on a fundamental denial of the laws of physics. You can buy a pie at the concession stand that is hotter than the sun on the outside and still frozen in the middle. It is indeed a miraculous achievement.

It's an attractive game too: "Big toothless bruisers at the back, and wee ginger guys dribbling at the front".
                Only feebs vote.

Comment

Looks like I will be making a trip to Storoway as well, someone got injured and was medevaced to a coast guard base up there. I am sure that will be a scenic drive to say the least.
                  Callanish is just a few miles away. It's a once-in-a-lifetime chance.

You'll also be very close to one of the world's most beautiful beaches- Luskentyre.

The genesis of the "evil Finn" concept- Evil, evil Finland

Comment

our-man, I actually walk by the willow tea room several times a day on the way to the internet cafe, will stop in.

I heard about Ashton, ny roomate on the ship has a sister at Glasgow University, she told us to go there. I however am without a wingman and she is writing a thesis.

And if I did go that far north I would definetly take the train. Wouldn;t want to needlessly endanger the lives of all those innocent Scot commuters

Comment

Ah, Faslane, what a dump that place is. I can't imagine living there, with the only entertainment being trying to shag a nuclear protester. But if you are out that way, the islands have all the beauty with none of the spartan naval decor. Arran is a nice place to get away from things; there's a hiking trail over the top of the island to a waterfall and so on.

(In my experience, Glasgow has the best trains in the whole of the UK. Make the most of them )
                      Concrete, Abstract, or Squoingy?
                      "I don't believe in giving scripting languages because the only additional power they give users is the power to create bugs." - Mike Breitkreutz, Firaxis

Comment

I heard about Ashton, ny roomate on the ship has a sister at Glasgow University, she told us to go there. I however am without a wingman and she is writing a thesis.
                        Agh... Do you have a number in the UK? If so, send me a PM. I might try and get away from the packing for an hour or two to give you a quick tour of the West End, or rather, its bars. No guarantees though.
                        STDs are like pokemon... you gotta catch them ALL!!!

Comment

Hey, Thanks for the offer, unfortunetly things got real busy and I didn't get back from work untill 2300. Just crahed.

Comment

Originally posted by Lazarus and the Gimp
                            You'll also be very close to one of the world's most beautiful beaches- Luskentyre.

It looks an aweful lot like half a dozen other dune beaches I've seen. Still nice though.
                            Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Yes, definitely go to Callanish.

Information about and images of Calanais on Lewis on Undiscovered Scotland.
                              Attached Files
                              Vive la liberte. Noor Inayat Khan, Dachau.

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

Working...
                              X