Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

US Court bans Wiccan parents from exposing their child to their religion.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• US Court bans Wiccan parents from exposing their child to their religion.

Forgive my absence, but I have been quite ill and had a serious relapse on top of it. However, I am now awake, laying on the couch and doing some surfing as I cannot sleep - they have taken me off of certain drugs. I found this fascinating article (I checked out Apolyton first to make sure nothing had been posted on it previously). Note, the judge in question is elected, from what I can determine, and is in a barely blue county - corrected, I ended up scrambling state searches and got the wrong Marion county.

Secondly, this is far from unknown in the US. We had a Sufi friend, who converted after her marraige (she was Roman Catholic) who was granted custody, but had a Christian judge who, at the behest of her Jewish husband - soon to be ex-husband, ban her from exposing her children to her cultish beliefs. The judge compared Sufism to a cult, which I find fascinating because it has a history over twice as old as any Protestant faith. The ACLU tried to help but could get no traction due to the laws in our state.

Those cases do not make the news, but consistantly family courts have been heavily biased towards the Christian, and secondarily Jewish, sides of a divorce. It has been a major problem in the Native American community. Also understand, unlike the Criminal and Civil courts, Family Courts in many if not most states have a very different structure with limited appeals and the broadest judicial latitude anywhere in our system. A murderer has more rights than the parent who the judge decides they don't like.

There are per se minimal to no standards of proof (again, in many states), and solely on the unverified claim of your soon-to-be ex-spouse you can have a permanent, non-expungable restraining order made against you that can seriously affect your job prospects in many fields (context on how powerful these judges are). Note the father's concern in the articles. If he defies the judge's order, even if it is found unconstitutional, the judge can take away his custody permanently if the father defies the judge prior to the successful appeal. So he is bound by this ruling, even though it is blatantly unconstitutional.
    Last edited by Mr. Harley; June 8, 2005, 05:39.
    The worst form of insubordination is being right - Keith D., marine veteran. A dictator will starve to the last civilian - self-quoted
    And on the eigth day, God realized it was Monday, and created caffeine. And behold, it was very good. - self-quoted
    Klaatu: I'm impatient with stupidity. My people have learned to live without it.
    Mr. Harley: I'm afraid my people haven't. I'm very sorry… I wish it were otherwise.

Didn't know you were ill; glad to hear you're feeling a little better.

Anyway, I heard about this a week or two ago. Absolutely disgusting that such a thing is allowed.
    The cake is NOT a lie. It's so delicious and moist.

The Weighted Companion Cube is cheating on you, that slut.

Comment

Re: US Court bans Wiccan parents from exposing their child to their religion.

Originally posted by shawnmmcc
      Secondly, this is far from unknown in the US.
      I definately see your point, but this isn't entirely true. In this case BOTH parents were Wiccan. There was no dispute among the parents about which religion they wanted their child raised in, the judge just arbitrarily butted into the issue. I really have not heard about a case like this one before.

By the way, the local paper in the area wrote an editorial that ripped the judge for his decision.

Conservatives like to complain about so-called activist judges - judges who overstep their authority to become one-person legislatures. Liberals are their favorite targets.

But, apparently, conservatives can be just as guilty.

Marion County Superior Court Judge Cale Bradford isn't going to let the First Amendment stand in his way because he seems to think he knows what religions should be off-limits for parents...

Bradshaw was wrong to substitute his religious judgment for that of Archer's parents.

"Give me that old-time religion," might be a fine sentiment for Bradshaw, but his missionary work should not be done from the court's bench
      Last edited by Mordoch; June 8, 2005, 06:17.

Comment

Land of the free ... what can I say?
        Why can't you be a non-conformist just like everybody else?

It's no good (from an evolutionary point of view) to have the physique of Tarzan if you have the sex drive of a philosopher. -- Michael Ruse
        The Nedaverse I can accept, but not the Berzaverse. There can only be so many alternate realities. -- Elok

Comment

Did we already have a thread on this?
          Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

There's the original.
            Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Thanks Oerdin - I wish they would post something in the title to make a search just a touch more obvious - I was scanning for Wiccan and Pagan, we have just a few judge threads.
              The worst form of insubordination is being right - Keith D., marine veteran. A dictator will starve to the last civilian - self-quoted
              And on the eigth day, God realized it was Monday, and created caffeine. And behold, it was very good. - self-quoted
              Klaatu: I'm impatient with stupidity. My people have learned to live without it.
              Mr. Harley: I'm afraid my people haven't. I'm very sorry… I wish it were otherwise.

Comment

Wow, I'll use that example (and the Sufi one) the next time any American talks about freedom of religion and/or mourns that Scientology is not an accepted church in Germany...
                "The world is too small in Vorarlberg". Austrian ex-vice-chancellor Hubert Gorbach in a letter to Alistar [sic] Darling, looking for a job...
                "Let me break this down for you, fresh from algebra II. A 95% chance to win 5 times means a (95*5) chance to win = 475% chance to win." Wiglaf, Court jester or hayseed, you judge.

Comment

It's disgraceful. I have several Wiccan friends and acquiantances. Even dated a Wiccan myself. Nothing evil about their beliefs.
                  Who is Barinthus?

Comment

The judge is elected. He is actually the senior judge in Marion County (Indianapolis).

And it is a joke around here what he did (I work in the same building, under a different judge)

it will be overturned, but it will take a few months.

Comment

asleepatthewheel - you are not addressing two issues I brought up. First, only because the judge was so blatant are we getting this attention. As long as one spouse is part of an "established, main-line religion" then the other one can get screwed and it doesn't get much attention, except in things like the Native American press. Look at my example which is from the lady involved (the Sufi).

Secondly, he can do this due in part to it being in family court. I don't know your system in Indiana, but in most states a judge in a family situation is more powerful than any judge anywhere else - even in SCOTUS they need to get the agreement of four other judges! Review of family law is minimal, and those judges are allowed to make findings of fact that would not be permitted in any criminal trial. As I've said, a murderer has more rights than a spouse the judge decides to piss on. (For the record, I've never been through family court, thank God. But I have many friends who have.)

Comment

cheap publicity for Wiccans (the judge is probably Wiccan for himself)

Comment

wiccan case will be overturned - check.

But bad stuff happens relative to religion in custody cases. Ok. About what issue does bad stuff NOT happen in custody cases? Ive heard enough horror stories, to think that custody cases are simply a mess. Period. End of story.
                          "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

Lord of the Mark - no argument on the cases are bad. But if there is consistant, uncorrected bias against smaller religions, in favor of "mainstream religions", then that is indicative of a much larger problem in the common culture. I presented anecdotal evidence, but this indicates tbat the first amendment mostly works. That qualifier is a very dangerous one.

Comment

Originally posted by shawnmmcc
                              Lord of the Mark - no argument on the cases are bad. But if there is consistant, uncorrected bias against smaller religions, in favor of "mainstream religions", then that is indicative of a much larger problem in the common culture. I presented anecdotal evidence, but this indicates tbat the first amendment mostly works. That qualifier is a very dangerous one.
                              Its hardly surprising that folks in a culture favor the religion (or non-religion) thats dominant in the culture. Its a problem when the govt is not neutral. And AFAICT, thats an issue only in custody cases. And AFAICT SOME family law judges in custody cases are way behind the times on lots of things. Including things more directly relevant to lots more custody cases.

I know a guy, who has a 14 yo daughter, and is divorced. The wife apparently suffers from some degree of serious mental illness, and is highly abusive. He has custody, but she has used the family courts to harrass him, challenging every conceivable disputed issue. On at least some of the moms weekends, the daughter has run away back to her dad. Yet every time the custody issues is relitigated, the dad has to worry, cause theres one judge around here who believes mothers should have custody period. I suspect that if he gets this judge and loses custody, he and his daughter will head across the state line. Its a mess. Just a mess.
                              "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

Working...
                              X