• Show
Clear All

Asher teaches.

Comment

Originally posted by Lancer
      Always carry a loaded .357 or .44. Only way to be sure.*

*Aside from nuking the site from orbit.
      Those won't stop bears.
      Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Originally posted by Oerdin
        198 pounds? It was a baby. She should have just got on her bike and rode off since she could have out ran him, but, young bears can climb trees so trying to climb to get away wasn't smart.
        All bears can climb trees, and usually they can do it faster than you can. Grizzlies can also run at close to 30 mph, so biking away won't necessarily save you. Going into a car or a house won't save you either, since they can easily pull doors off of cars or smash into a home.

There are five ways to deal with grizzlies, I'll list them in decending effectiveness.

#1 do't go to grizzlie country.
        #2 carry a large calibur longarm with you.
        #3 Use some other anti-bear device, such as bear spray, bear horns, etc.
        #4 Raise your arms all the way over your head and shout as loud as you can while slowly advancing on the bear (bears know they are the baddest mutha****as in the woods, so anything that challenges them freaks them out, and they tend to run away)
        #5 play dead (the bear usually sees you as a threat so if you're dead, you aren't a threat. This tactic won't work if the bear sees you as food).
        Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

All bears can climb trees

Not polar bears.

Comment

Fine.

Comment

How does it feel to be pwned?
              A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

I think they killed the last wild bear in AR in the 1950's.

Che summarized the best thing to do when there's a bear. If you don't have a way to neutralize the bear (either by running very fast or having an EFFECTIVE weapon), you either try to scare the **** out of it or play dead.

I mean, come on, it's likely in 15 minutes you'll be grizzly food anyways. Might as well have a fun time.

/me raises arms
                WAHOAHAHAHAOHAHGHGHG
                meet the new boss, same as the old boss

Comment

Originally posted by MrFun
                  How does it feel to be pwned?
                  I wouldn't know. That wasn't a pwning. It was merely a flesh wound.

Comment

Outrunning a bear is generally a rather ineffective tactic. It tells the bear you are prey and the bear can run faster than you anyway. They are surprisingly fast and agile creatures, despite their bulk and seeming clumziness. Backing away from the bear slowly, as the photographer did in the OP, is a better tactic.

I should note, you only threaten the bear or play dead if it's paying attention to you. For the most part, bears don't care about us (except where they've come to see us as sources of food, either directly or where they've been given food by people). If it's not payin' you no mind, slowly back away.

NEVER come between a momma bear and her cubs. If you see bear cubs, leave the area immediately. They may be cute and playful, but a momma bear will attack anything that she feels is a threat to her cubs, including bigger bears, and bears rarely fight each other because they can get hurt.

Comment

Good advice. Anything smaller than a .338 magnum rifle round is light for killing grizzlies. I have seen one source critisizing playing dead with black bears. It seems they are more scavengers than grizzlies, and are more likely to try to eat you immediately. Also, I have heard of bear spray failing. That is rare, and I suspect it comes from cases of when the bear is already enraged. Grizzlies have on of the largest adrenal glands of any land animal, and are highly dangerous once enraged and have been known to take over a dozen .30 (7.65 mm) rifle hits and still kill three poeple. You might say that its a bodaciously bad idea to get a grizzley bear really pissed at you. Then again, you might not say that if you ever do succeed in achieving that temporary state.
                      The worst form of insubordination is being right - Keith D., marine veteran. A dictator will starve to the last civilian - self-quoted
                      And on the eigth day, God realized it was Monday, and created caffeine. And behold, it was very good. - self-quoted
                      Klaatu: I'm impatient with stupidity. My people have learned to live without it.
                      Mr. Harley: I'm afraid my people haven't. I'm very sorry… I wish it were otherwise.

Comment

Originally posted by mrmitchell
                        I think they killed the last wild bear in AR in the 1950's.
                        There are wild bears in Arkansas. The Game and Fish Commission has been building their numbers since the early 40's. There are sightings up in the Ozarks. Numbers are still small but increasing along with a lot of complaints.
                        Which side are we on? We're on the side of the demons, Chief. We are evil men in the gardens of paradise, sent by the forces of death to spread devastation and destruction wherever we go. I'm surprised you didn't know that. --Saul Tigh

Comment

Asher - forgive my ignorance, but are you saying from you link that Sean Connery is a hairy gay (grey) man? Reference your link, which had waayyyy too much detail.
                          The worst form of insubordination is being right - Keith D., marine veteran. A dictator will starve to the last civilian - self-quoted
                          And on the eigth day, God realized it was Monday, and created caffeine. And behold, it was very good. - self-quoted
                          Klaatu: I'm impatient with stupidity. My people have learned to live without it.
                          Mr. Harley: I'm afraid my people haven't. I'm very sorry… I wish it were otherwise.

Comment

i still think we should nuke them from orbit
                            "If you obey all the rules, you miss all the fun." -Katherine Hepburn

Comment

I tend to think if a bear charged me I would just die of a massive coronary on the spot. I think bears are really, really f*cking scary.

Comment

Originally posted by Asher
                                Oh, come on, you of all people should get the reference.
                                Originally posted by DRoseDARs
                                I don't get it, what does this have to do with Sean Connery? It didn't happen anywhere near Scotland.
                                Notice the second sentence?
                                The cake is NOT a lie. It's so delicious and moist.

The Weighted Companion Cube is cheating on you, that slut.

Comment

Working...
                                X