Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Republicans still giving special favors to Enron criminals.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Republicans still giving special favors to Enron criminals.

Buried in the 700-plus page energy bill currently under debate in the U.S. Senate is a provision that provides hundreds of millions of dollars worth of federal loan guarantees for a power project apparently to be built by four former Enron executives, the interest group Public Citizen revealed Monday in a release to RAW STORY.

One of the former executives is Thomas White, who was Enron's head of retail and energy trading in California during the energy crisis. White later served as Secretary of the Army under President Bush.

Title XIV of the Senate energy bill provides federal loan guarantees for "a project to produce energy from coal … mined in the western United States using appropriate advanced integrated gasification combined cycle technology that minimizes and offers the potential to sequester carbon dioxide emissions and … shall be located in a western State at an altitude greater than 4,000 feet."

Public Citizen's says this loan would benefit just one company: Houston-based DKRW Energy. The firm, named after the four Enron executives that founded it -- Jon Doyle, Robert Kelly, H. David Ramm and White -- formed a subsidiary to develop a $2.8 billion coal gasification project in Wyoming.

The DKRW facility meets all the criteria required in the legislation: The coal will be supplied from Arch Coal mines neighboring the power facility; it will stuff carbon dioxide emissions into oil wells; and the facility will be located in a western state (Wyoming) at an altitude above 4,000 feet.

Public Citizen slammed Congress for allegedly subsizing former Enron execs.

"Has Congress learned nothing from the Enron bankruptcy and the fallout from the company's fraudulent behavior?" said Tyson Slocum, research director for the energy program. "The fact that the Senate Energy and Natural Resources Committee is willing to back these former Enron executives with taxpayers' money is truly unsettling."

The federal loan guarantee makes taxpayers responsible for repaying the loan if the company defaults, or if the project ends up not being economically feasible after its construction.

If an energy company receiving such a loan guarantee defaults, the bank "shall have the right to demand payment of the unpaid [loan] amount from the Secretary" of Energy.

The Senate Committee on Energy and Resources has approved the bill, which is scheduled for Senate action as early as this week. The provision is not in the already-approved House bill.

Public Citizen believes that the former Enron executives are seeking government guarantees because they have had a difficult time attracting private capital.

Just beautiful. Not only was Thomas White the head of the Enron Division which created the fake energy shortage in California (thus defauding more then $100 billion from California citizens) but this guy was even to slimy even Donald Rumnsfield fired him as Army Secretary. To top it off White made $12.1 million by selling his Enron stock just days before it became worthless but he, of course, denies he was envolved in insider trading dispite the fact that he was one of the most senior Enron executives.

That Republicans are still feeding this filth public tax dollars just disgusts me.
    Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Why do you hate your own country, Oerdin?
    A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

I hate corrupt Republicans... but I repeat myself.

Comment

About White getting fired by Rumsfield.

Common Dreams has been providing breaking news & views for the progressive community since 1997. We are independent, non-profit, advertising-free and 100% reader supported. Our Mission: To inform. To inspire. To ignite change for the common good.

About White trying to hide the fact that he was one of the highest ranking execs at Enron.

The 25 years Bush spent taking money from and writting special regulations for Enron & his pal old Kenny boy.

Comment

Here we go. In honor of Bush's long and hugely profitable (for him and Ken Lay anyway) association I have this nice new Avatar for someone. Bush & the Republicans are still helping out their Enron buddies with your tax dollars so why not sport this avatar to acknowledge it?
          Attached Files

Comment

It's official -- I hate my own country!!

Comment

"The federal loan guarantee makes taxpayers responsible for repaying the loan if the company defaults, or if the project ends up not being economically feasible after its construction."

****!

These are the same Republicans who probably lambaste social welfare for impoverished individuals, and then turn around and fork out corporate welfare for business executives.

Comment

Originally posted by MrFun
                "The federal loan guarantee makes taxpayers responsible for repaying the loan if the company defaults, or if the project ends up not being economically feasible after its construction."

****!

These are the same Republicans who probably lambaste social welfare for impoverished individuals, and then turn around and fork out corporate welfare for business executives.
                Wouldn't it be great if student loans worked this way? Everyone who couldn't get a "viable" job after college would just get to foist their loans off on the public! I'd actually go back to college, just to double-major in Philosophy and Classics -- for free!
                "I have as much authority as the pope. I just don't have as many people who believe it." — George Carlin

Comment

Sounds like a good deal.

Where can I sign up?
                  We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Originally posted by Oerdin
                    The 25 years Bush spent taking money from and writing special regulations for Enron & his pal old Kenny boy.
                    And they still went f***ing bankrupt!

But if you overlook the teeny-weeny fact that these guys have the morals of a staving cockroach, you gotta admit, the following language is brilliant:
                    "a project to produce energy from coal … mined in the western United States using appropriate advanced integrated gasification combined cycle technology that minimizes and offers the potential to sequester carbon dioxide emissions and … shall be located in a western State at an altitude greater than 4,000 feet."

Comment

**** this ****ing bullsh!t.

I'm going to e-mail a link to this article to my friends. What you do NOT know can hurt you.

Comment

Oerdin's link does not work for me. I am trying to Google this news story but to no avail yet.

If someone else has found some other news link such as from CNN or whatever, please post a link.

Comment

I can't find any source to link to.

Comment

The raw server apparently doesn't allow links. Just cut and past the entire URL into your brower's address window.

Comment

I tried that and I still get the same message -- error 404: file not found.

Wait a minute -- the ellipses in the middle of the address -- could that be corrupting the link?

Comment

Working...
                              X