Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Google worth more than largest Media co.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Google worth more than largest Media co.

Google tops Time Warner as Street's No. 1 media stock

LOS ANGELES (Hollywood Reporter) - Wall Street has determined that Google Inc. is the most valuable media company on the planet.

Shares of the company, which went public in August at $75, rose $10.68 on Monday to close at $290.94, giving the new-media youngster a market capitalization of $80.8 billion, according to Yahoo! Finance.

Meanwhile, shares of Time Warner Inc., which until Monday was considered the world's biggest media company, dropped 23 cents to $17.02, giving the company a $79.8 billion market cap.

Google's stock performance has been extraordinary of late, harkening back to the Internet bubble days, with one important difference: profit. An analyst with RBC Capital Markets said Google could earn about $1 billion this year and more than $2.5 billion in 2007.

Even before Monday's rise of Google shares, pundits were noting the runaway nature of the company's market cap, making such observations as Google being worth more than the Walt Disney Co. and General Motors Corp. combined or more than the combined value of Dow Jones & Co. and the New York Times Co.

That Google's worth would cruise past that of TW is ironic because the latter sports an asset that once was considered the gold standard of the Internet -- America Online.

In January 2000, when TW said it would merge with the world's most richly valued new-media company at the time, AOL had a market cap that towered over TW, the world's most richly valued traditional media company, by $164 billion to $83 billion.

TW today is worth less with AOL than it was worth without it, prompting some analysts to posit that -- in light of Wall Street valuing what is now a very profitable AOL as an asset worth somewhere between zero and just $8 billion -- it might be time to buy TW shares again.

Of course, market caps are fluid, and any downturn in Google shares -- or uptick in TW's -- could easily make Google the world's second-biggest media company.

Revenue is another measure of a company's size. By that standard, Time Warner, with about $42.4 billion in annual revenue, dwarfs Google's roughly $3.8 billion yearly revenue.

Reuters/VNU

© Copyright Reuters Ltd. All rights reserved. The information contained In this news report may not be published, broadcast or otherwise distributed without the prior written authority of Reuters Ltd.

06/07/2005 02:59
    RTR
    I would rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal labotamy

viva la Google revolucion!!
    A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

Pretty amazing, I must say. And it couldn't have happened to a better company.

I think Google is overvalued, but the company is making money hand-over-fist and still has lots of room to grow in its advertising market.

The Google boys are supremely wealthy right now.
      I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

You would think people would have learned after the first dotcom bubble burst.

Google doesn't produce anything.

ACK!
        Don't try to confuse the issue with half-truths and gorilla dust!

Comment

[marx]only manufacturing adds value[/marx]
          Originally posted by Serb:Please, remind me, how exactly and when exactly, Russia bullied its neighbors?
          Originally posted by Ted Striker:Go Serb !
          Originally posted by Pekka:If it was possible to capture the essentials of Sepultura in a dildo, I'd attach it to a bicycle and ride it up your azzes.

Comment

OMFG!!!!!!!!!!11!!!!

I'M A COMMIE!!!!!!!!1!!!!!!!

ACK!
            Don't try to confuse the issue with half-truths and gorilla dust!

Comment

CommieGodwin
              Originally posted by Serb:Please, remind me, how exactly and when exactly, Russia bullied its neighbors?
              Originally posted by Pekka:If it was possible to capture the essentials of Sepultura in a dildo, I'd attach it to a bicycle and ride it up your azzes.

Comment

Originally posted by Tuberski
                You would think people would have learned after the first dotcom bubble burst.

Google doesn't produce anything.

Are you kidding?! It's a money mint! It produces greenbacks!
                I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

google allows thousands of people to do their work better. thus, it increases the value of their work
                  Co-Founder, Apolyton Civilization Site
                  Co-Owner/Webmaster, Top40-Charts.com | CTO, Apogee Information Systems
                  giannopoulos.info: my non-mobile non-photo news & articles blog

Comment

The workers must seize control of their Tool of Production. Google must be taken over by the UN.
                    Blog | Civ2 Scenario League | leo.petr at gmail.com

Comment

Actually, I think things would be a lot better if Google took over the UN .
                      This is Shireroth, and Giant Squid will brutally murder me if I ever remove this link from my signature | In the end it won't be love that saves us, it will be mathematics | So many people have this concept of God the Avenger. I see God as the ultimate sense of humor -- SlowwHand

Comment

Wow. There's still a fair-number of New Technology True Believers out there. Google has a damned p/e ratio of 114, which some people will tell you doesn't matter - such pronouncements coming from the fools in the market.

Comment

I agree with you that this is too high of a P/E, but almost reasonable scenarios can produce similar fair values for Google.

Comment

3 rules for good Discounted Cashflow Valuation:

1. Revenues always go up
                            2. Costs always go down
                            3. Reality is irrelevant

Comment

Have you taken a look at Google's valuation, Shares? What do you peg fair value at?

Comment

Working...
                              X