"Spamalot" wins best musical!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Spamalot" wins best musical!

Woot! And Monty Python still rules the world .

Monty Python's Spamalot," a loose - and loony - adaptation of the 1975 film "Monty Python and the Holy Grail," won the top prize at last night's Tony Awards, adding a Tony for best musical to a résumé that already includes a $27 million advance, international press coverage and more knights in tights than any other show on Broadway.

"Spamalot," which opened in March to generally good reviews and torrid sales, won three Tonys in all, including one for Mike Nichols's direction, his sixth Tony as a director. Mr. Nichols practically apologized to fellow nominees for his victory. "I guess you're thinking, age before beauty," he said. "Me, too." Sara Ramirez, meanwhile, won best featured actress in a musical for her work as a buxom Lady of the Lake, a star-making turn that featured Ms. Ramirez stealing scenes from her male co-stars: Tim Curry, Hank Azaria and David Hyde Pierce.
    “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
    - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Awesome. I saw an advance performance a couple of months back, and it was lots of fun. Sara Ramirez was very good, and John Cleese's voice cameoed as the voice of God. Good stuff.

Comment

The problem with new Broadway plays is that no one outside of New York sees them. I've heard Spamalot is good. big whoop.

Comment

That means you should get to New York .
        “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”

Comment

Have you seen it, Imran?
          Visit The Frontier for all your geopolitical, historical, sci-fi, and fantasy forum gaming needs.

Comment

Nope, but I'm not whining about it being in New York either

Comment

xpost

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
                Nope, but I'm not whining about it being in New York either
                I am not whining! I'm not! I'm not! I'm not!

Comment

A musical of The Holy Grail??? Americans really have no shame
                  Within weeks they'll be re-opening the shipyards
                  And notifying the next of kin
                  Once again...

Comment

Originally posted by Hueij
                    Nor, apparently, do the Brits, including original Python memebers -- since this is their production. (Eric Idle is the driving force behind it, iirc.)
                    "I have as much authority as the pope. I just don't have as many people who believe it." — George Carlin

Comment

Dont worry us yanks are doing a musical of Pink Floyd the Wall

at least they did not do "Every sperm is sacred"
                      anti steam and proud of it

CDO ....its OCD in alpha order like it should be

Comment

Well it's kind of hard to see how that would fit in the Holy Grail play .

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
                          Well it's kind of hard to see how that would fit in the Holy Grail play .
                          Keeper: Oh bad, bad Zoot! You must spank her!
                          Sir Robin: Spank her??
                          Keeper: Yes, and then spank me.
                          Girl #1: And me!
                          Girl #2: And me!!
                          Keeper: Yes, you must spank all of us! And then... the oral sex!
                          Sir Robin: Well, I suppose I can stay a bit longer.
                          All [singing]: "Every sperm is sacred..."

Comment

Originally posted by Hueij
                            Hey, its just in our theatre. Its an Eric Idle work with the consent of the living Pythons.
                            "I predict your ignore will rival Ben's" - Ecofarm
                            ^ The Poly equivalent of:
                            "I hope you can see this 'cause I'm [flipping you off] as hard as I can" - Ignignokt the Mooninite

Comment

Originally posted by The Emperor Fabulous
                              ... with the consent of the living Pythons.
                              But it's the dead ones you have to watch out for. They have connections.

Comment

Working...
                              X