Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crowds of supporters appropriated with Photoshop

Politics by Photoshop

In the closing days of the presidential race, the Bush-Cheney campaign ran a TV spot that featured a shot of admiring soldiers listening to the president speak. On close examination, however, there weren't quite as many admiring soldiers as there initially seemed: Someone had Photoshopped the photo, and the same three soldiers appeared in it again and again and again.

Now Republican Bret Schundler, who's running for governor in New Jersey, has done Bush one better. Until last week, Schundler's Web site featured a photo of the candidate in front of a throng of cheering supporters. Only they weren't Schundler's supporters; they were Howard Dean's.

Apparently, a staffer at a Washington-based marketing firm that works for Schundler and once worked for Dean pulled the photo from a file and then altered it for the Schundler Web site. He put a photo of Dean supporters at a Dean rally behind a photo of Schundler, making it look like the swarming crowd of Deaniacs were actually swarming around Schundler. In the process, the Photoshop artiste swapped out the hat on the head of Laura Reznick, who happens to be secretary of the American University chapter of College Democrats. In the original photo, Reznick is wearing a Dean for America hat. In the re-worked version, she's wearing a Schundler for governor hat.

She wasn't amused. "I think it's pathetic that he couldn't get a group of his own enthusiastic young people," Reznick told the Bergen Record. "There are plenty of people my age who are, sadly enough, Republican."

Schundler's campaign has taken down the photo, but that won't stop the Democrats from using it to maximum advantage. "They say a picture is worth a thousand words," the DNC's Josh Earnest told the Record. "But this one speaks volumes that New Jersey Republicans like Bret Schundler have to steal photos of Democrats to try to convince voters that people are excited about Republican campaigns."

Get your own grassroots base, dangit.
    Blog | Civ2 Scenario League | leo.petr at gmail.com

I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Comment

Photoshop
        B♭3

Comment

And on top of it, what a sh*tty Photoshop job it was!

It looked phoney regardless of who the crowd were!
          Official Homepage of the HiRes Graphics Patch for Civ2

Comment

Wow, Jaysus. Now that I've actually looked at the photo, it's easily visible as a fake.
            B♭3

Comment

Why can't you be a non-conformist just like everybody else?

It's no good (from an evolutionary point of view) to have the physique of Tarzan if you have the sex drive of a philosopher. -- Michael Ruse
              The Nedaverse I can accept, but not the Berzaverse. There can only be so many alternate realities. -- Elok

Comment

Anyone have a link to the photo?
                "Compromises are not always good things. If one guy wants to drill a five-inch hole in the bottom of your life boat, and the other person doesn't, a compromise of a two-inch hole is still stupid." - chegitz guevara
                "Bill3000: The United Demesos? Boy, I was young and stupid back then.
                Jasonian22: Bill, you are STILL young and stupid."

"is it normal to imaginne dartrh vader and myself in a tjhreee way with some hot chick? i'ts always been my fantasy" - Dis

Comment

RTFA N00B!!!111!1
                  B♭3

Comment

It wants me to register.

Comment

Yeargh! That's really poor work...

Comment

Originally posted by Zopperoni
                        Yeargh! That's really poor work...
                        QFT.

Comment

DYHNA?
                          Monkey!!!

Comment

Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Us Washington, DC types are kind of lazy, you know?
                              If you look around and think everyone else is an *******, you're the *******.

Comment

Working...
                              X