No announcement yet.

What courses are you taking next term?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Now that I passed the field exam in International Finance and Open Economy Macro, I don't have to take any more classes. Just a research seminar next year in which I'll have to present a paper once my dissertation proposal is approved. Hopefully I'll have my PhD in two years.
    "People sit in chairs!" - Bobby Baccalieri

Comment

Originally posted by Asher

You go to the University of Calgary?

Hah.

PHIL379 is a joke...

Here you go Aggie, not only do we have another UofCer here, he looks like he's a philosophy major.
      Yup, good old UofC.

And is there something special about philosophy majors that I’m not aware of? Other than that we’re dashingly handsome and incredibly intelligent.
      You can only curse me to eternal damnation for so long!

Comment

Originally posted by civman2000

This should be in the math department, not philosophy!
        When you get to high enough a level the distinction between the two tends to blur.

Comment

Here you go Aggie, not only do we have another UofCer here, he looks like he's a philosophy major.

He should have been at U of T last year and done my course. What better way to spend the time than talking about the world being made of water.
          Only feebs vote.

Comment

Originally posted by Agathon

He should have been at U of T last year and done my course. What better way to spend the time than talking about the world being made of water.
            Ah Thales, now there’s a topic you can write a dissertation on.

Comment

It's hard enough to fill a two hour lecture about him.
              Only feebs vote.

Comment

Originally posted by Voltaire
                Yup, good old UofC.

And is there something special about philosophy majors that I’m not aware of? Other than that we’re dashingly handsome and incredibly intelligent.
                But of course.

I'll be back at the UofC in September as well.

Though the only Philosophy courses I've taken are 201, 279, and 379.

Had Richard Zach for 279 and 379. Very odd guy, fits the Philosophy-student stereotype to a T, complete with emo glasses. A lot of the comments on RateMyProfessors for him are about the parties he throws.
                "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

general history (contempary)
                  anctien history
                  dutch history
                  middle ages history
                  social history
                  economic history

i dropped out of the Uni in january for personal reasons and in sept will change my major from (wait for it).....aerospace engineering to.....(yes you guess it) history
                  Bunnies!
                  Welcome to the DBTSverse!
                  God, Allah, boedha, siva, the stars, tealeaves and the palm of you hand. If you are so desperately looking for something to believe in GO FIND A MIRROR
                  'Space05us is just a stupid nice guy' - Space05us

Comment

My courses for next year - all courses at the same level, examined by an exam at the end of third year (finals) and each course involves ~20 hours per week work.

Michaelmus '05 (Autumn 2nd year)

Core Econ: Microeconomics
                    Risk, uncertainty and information; the firm and market structures; welfare economics, externalities, public goods and the sources of market failure; the distribution of income; trade and protection; applications of microeconomics to public policy issues. The focus of this paper will not only be on the theoretical but also the applied aspects of these issues, especially in the UK and the EU.

Management: Strategic Management
                    The dynamics of industries and sectors, and the individual goals of organisations and the competitive strategies which they adopt in pursuit of these.

Hilary '06 (Spring 2nd year)

Core Econ: Macroeconomics
                    Alternative macroeconomic theories and policy implications; aggregate consumption; aggregate investment; growth and fluctuations; productivity and the determinants of competitiveness; unemployment and inflation; balance of payments adjustment and exchange rates; monetary and fiscal policy; international aspects of macroeconomic policy. Applied issues are to be studied mainly in the relation to the UK and its membership of the European Union, but the opportunity will be given to the candidates to show knowledge of other OECD countries.

Management: Finance
                    The management and role of finance within organisations, covering all aspects of capital markets, mergers and acquisitions and techniques of financial appraisal and portfolio management.

Trinity '06 (Summer 2nd year)

Econ: Economics of Developing Countries
                    Theories of growth and development. Poverty and income distribution. Human resources. Labour markets and employment. Industrialisation and technology. Agriculture and rural development. Monetary and fiscal issues; inflation. Foreign trade and payments. Foreign and domestic capital; economic aid. The role of government in development; the operation of markets.

Econ: Public Economics
                    Welfare-economic foundations; the measurement of wellbeing; taxation and incentives; debt and behaviour over time; commodity taxation; taxation of persons; taxation of companies; cost-benefit analysis; health; education; social security; jurisdictional issues; public goods, externalities and market failure; policy towards natural resources and the environment.

Michaelmus '06 (Autumn 3rd year)

Econ: Econometrics
                    The paper will be set in two parts:
                    I Regression and correlation; interpretation, estimation, and prediction in single equation two- and three-variable linear models, including test of significance and goodness of fit, problems of bias, multi-collinearity, and autocorrelation. Simultaneous equations problems: reduced form, identification.
                    II Application of econometric methods including the estimation of consumption functions, demand analysis, production functions, macroeconomic policy models

Econ: Economic Decisions within the Firm
                    Linear economic models, simplex method for linear programming, duality and sensitivity analysis. Network models, including the transportation and assignment problems, shortest path problems, project scheduling. Dynamic and integer programming. Expected utility theory and decision trees. Markov chain models. Queuing systems. Stochastic dynamic programming. Inventory control. Monte Carlo methods and simulation. Two-person, zero-sum games.

And then it's just two terms fo revision to make sure I'm **** hot on everything that could come up, and it's finals time
                    Last edited by Drogue; June 7, 2005, 11:17.
                    Smile
                    For though he was master of the world, he was not quite sure what to do next
                    But he would think of something

"Hm. I suppose I should get my waffle a santa hat." - Kuciwalker

Comment

Originally posted by Immortal Wombat
                      Next term I am no longer a computer scientist. Hooray, no boring but well paying job for me.
                      I'm taking:
                      • Animal Biology -- Behaviour and Ecology, Brains and Behaviour
                      • Ecology -- The Global Marine Ecosystem, The Ecology of Change in freshwaters, terrestrial systems and the atmosphere.
                      • History and Philosophy of Science -- Natural Philosophy, Philosophy of Science
                      HPS Awesome course. My brother recommended that to me as an extra when I was going to apply to Cambridge.

You've changed to a proper NatSci now then Would be a little weird but you may end up having supervisions by a friend of mine. Though I think her PhDs more BioChem.

How is Pembroke?
                      Smile
                      For though he was master of the world, he was not quite sure what to do next
                      But he would think of something

"Hm. I suppose I should get my waffle a santa hat." - Kuciwalker

Comment

Yup, all NatSci now. Which makes my course slightly more cohesive, rather than being four entirely different things, thankfully.

Pembroke is great. Pretty, quiet, close to lectures but far from tourists.

Who's your supervisor friend?
                        Concrete, Abstract, or Squoingy?
                        "I don't believe in giving scripting languages because the only additional power they give users is the power to create bugs." - Mike Breitkreutz, Firaxis

Comment

I also finished my courses this semester, so Im working on my master's thesis. I hope to finish by Christmas or maybe winter 2006.

Comment

Talk to MrFun about setting deadlines to finish a thesis.
                            Monkey!!!

Comment

We're far from knowing what will be on next term, but I'll definitely do:

Latin IV (with the ultimate latin certificate as the cream on top)
                              English III (first since school)
                              French II (dito)

Introduction into National Economics (not compulsory but econ is cool stuff)

One course each on:
                              International Politics and International Relations
                              Political Theory and Political Philosophy

Up to here there already is a high danger of courses/lectures interfering with each other schedule-wise. So I'm not planning further ahead. Hopefully I'll finally finish my Chinese I this summer.

Comment

Oh and my project for this summer will be about the Carolingians. I'll try and think of soem Byzantines-related topic. Like how Pepin created the Papal State on the ground he took from the Langobards but that was originally Byzantine, despite being allied to them. Must be interesting to research into Byzantine reactions to this. Their sources are probably in better Latin as well

Comment

Working...
                                X