No announcement yet.

43 States Joining Together for Internet Taxation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sales taxes, like all regressive taxes, are crap.
    "Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way. "
    -Bokonon

Comment

Sales taxes

I'm glad montana doesn't have this crap.

Comment

Originally posted by Ramo
        Sales taxes, like all regressive taxes, are crap.
        It's even more regressive if the internet is exempt, since it's harder for poor people to make online purchases.
        Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Taxes
          Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

Originally posted by chegitz guevara
            What is?
            Who pays the tax.

Nominally the sales tax is paid by the purchaser. You don't purchase something you don't pay the tax logic. Administratively the vendor only collects the tax and pays the liablity. That ignore however that the vendor takes a hit to make the post tax price bearable to the customer, as per the elasiticity of demand.
            One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

Originally posted by The Emperor Fabulous

But I'm not talking about selling. I'm talking about a sales tax, where I would be taxed for buying a used dildo, which has already been taxed when it was bought previously.
              I would assume that you (or rather the vendor) would only pay Capital Gains Tax if its not a trade sale. Or maybe pay service charges....

Comment

Originally posted by Dauphin
                Who pays the tax.
                Prices tend to be the same in non-sales tax states as in sales-tax states, at least as far as national chains are concerned.
                Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

It's even more regressive if the internet is exempt, since it's harder for poor people to make online purchases.

Fair point, but net sales taxes are still more regressive than income, corporate, estate, etc. taxes.
                  "Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way. "
                  -Bokonon

Comment

Prices tend to be the same in non-sales tax states as in sales-tax states, at least as far as national chains are concerned.
                    I find that interesting. Sales prices here aren't the same despite a standard national tax. Cost of living effects means that its sometimes a lot cheaper to buy out of town than in town, even at national chains.

Comment

Does this mean eBay would be taxed? I don't pay a tax at a garage sale.
                      There are two taxation issues - sales and use taxes, and income taxes.

Other than certain large personal property, such as boats, automobiles, aircraft, etc., sale of used personal property from one private party to another does not trigger sales tax in at least the vast majority of states with sales taxes.

If you're an eBay or similar business, routinely engaged in the business of selling such items, then it's a taxable transaction.

If you're a hobbyist who routinely sells something you make, that is also generally subject to sales tax.

The difference is whether you buy something for personal use, use it for a while, then sell it, on a non-routine basis, compared to buying something for the purpose of later resale.

That covers the sales and use tax issue.

Income tax implements in different ways, and has different taxpayers (seller as opposed to buyer) but the underlying logic is similar with sales tax, in determining whether the sale is incidental, or a transaction within a business or hobby context. Generally, when you sell used stuff, you sell it for less than you paid, so there's no income to tax, even if the sale was taxable. In a business transaction, you try to sell for more than you pay, and you have a significant number of sales.

Income from items sold may not be taxable income, or they may be taxed as ordinary income or capital gains, depending on how long you've had the item and if it was bought for eventual resale.
                      When all else fails, blame brown people. | Hire a teen, while they still know it all. | Trump-Palin 2016. "You're fired." "I quit."

Comment

But I'm not talking about selling. I'm talking about a sales tax, where I would be taxed for buying a used dildo, which has already been taxed when it was bought previously.
                        So? It's a different transaction. It doesn't matter if the underlying product has been sold and resold a zillion times.
                        When all else fails, blame brown people. | Hire a teen, while they still know it all. | Trump-Palin 2016. "You're fired." "I quit."

Comment

The initial price, yes, but not with the 6% or 7% added to your bill because of state sales tax. Look at your reciepts, for retailers it'll be there.
                          “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                          - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

May I be the first to tell these 43 states to go fornicate with themselves?

Comment

Nevada of course is on it.

We don't have income tax, sales tax is what generates a lot of tax revenue.

Comment

ewww, who would buy a used dildo?

Comment

Working...
                                X