What happened to SPAM?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What happened to SPAM?

I used to be getting around 30 SPAMs each day, most of them landing in my spam folder. But now when I look into the folder, the most I got was 9 on a day and another day I only got 2.

I am of course glad by this, but I do wonder what has happened. Any successful legal actions against major spammers? Or has the business run out of profit?

perhaps your penis is now long enough

I will now go prepare sausages for my familys sunday meal
    Que l’Univers n’est qu’un défaut dans la pureté de Non-être.

- Paul Valery

Comment

Maybe your ISP has joined a real time blacklist.
      (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
      (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
      (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Good luck with the sausages

My ISP hmm could be, although normally they charge something for a spamfilter and we haven't ordered that.

Comment

It's here at poly now
          Blah

Comment

Actually, it all fled to eventis.

Comment

Originally posted by Atahualpa
              Good luck with the sausages

My ISP hmm could be, although normally they charge something for a spamfilter and we haven't ordered that.
              Not a spam filter. A real time spam blacklist contains the addresses of known spammers and machines where spam is sent. When the mail daemon looks at the list and finds mail messages coming from them, it says "no" and rejects them.
              (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan

Comment

And anyhow, use Thunderbird. The built-in spam filter pretty much solves the spam problem, as it only takes one click to delete all the spam after it has been identified.
                Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
                I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

Yes, but that's downstream, after the connection has been made.

My ISP isn't using a blacklist.

Comment

Gmail

Comment

Originally posted by Urban Ranger

My ISP isn't using a blacklist.
                      Good for you, you never know who they have on their black list. My ISP apparently has Salon.com on their BL...I know this is a conservative neigbourghood but...geez
                      Que l’Univers n’est qu’un défaut dans la pureté de Non-être.

- Paul Valery

Comment

Originally posted by Solver
                        And anyhow, use Thunderbird. The built-in spam filter pretty much solves the spam problem, as it only takes one click to delete all the spam after it has been identified.
                        I am using TB, but I am not too fond about it.
                        It's IMAP caching feature is completely idiotic. There is even a bug with attachments that break when you click on the mail while downloading.
                        Sometimes it hangs upon closure, or when I close it, it will stay in memory for some time still.
                        The mail download progressbar is not always working.

And since I sort my mails for spam already on the server there is hardly a reason for the TB spam filter, which I don't think is too good anyway. Or at least I wished it would automark mails that get sent to the spam folder of my server as spam.

Comment

gmail has a great spam filter I've gotten maybe two pieces of SPAM since I switched. Though I've had to go in and rescue a few things that weren't SPAM.

My other email addy is unpublished, and get's no PSAM.
                          Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Gmail is super awesome at killing SPAM

I think that two things have happened:

1) Many companies have emerged, their sole purpose being to create SPAM filters

2) Legal action against spammers has helped curve the problem
                            We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

On the other hand, I've noticed alot of popups have been getting around the Firefox popup blocker latley.
                              We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Working...
                              X