No announcement yet.

It'll be official on Monday: Apple switching to Intel chips

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I thought it would be a reference to the ugly exterior of the PowerMacs.
    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Originally posted by Kuciwalker

Cue a 500 post cap/com thread
      On your preformance this far, it looks like the commies are in for an easy win.
      Why can't you be a non-conformist just like everybody else?

It's no good (from an evolutionary point of view) to have the physique of Tarzan if you have the sex drive of a philosopher. -- Michael Ruse
      The Nedaverse I can accept, but not the Berzaverse. There can only be so many alternate realities. -- Elok

Comment

What does your avatar say, aside from "Intel Inside"?

I can't remember. Some platitude.

It's a joke. I think the switch to Intel is a good thing. It doesn't stop me from poking fun (what does?).

I'm curious, are you going to be an Intel fanboy now?

Please find me a post where I have been a rabid PowerPC fanboy. I remember defending the G5 against silly comparisons, but I've never cared much about the processors. It's the software for me, and it pretty much always has been.

On the other hand, I am still impressed with the longevity of the G3. My G3 imac is sitting behind me and is still great for most regular tasks. That machine is now over 5 years old and still runs Panther a treat. The only thing it won't do is higher definition video and some of the newer games.
        Only feebs vote.

Comment

"What do you have inside?"
          Only feebs vote.

Comment

Originally posted by Agathon
            On the other hand, I am still impressed with the longevity of the G3. My G3 imac is sitting behind me and is still great for most regular tasks. That machine is now over 5 years old and still runs Panther a treat. The only thing it won't do is higher definition video and some of the newer games.
            Even the Gamecube uses a modified G3 as its CPU.
            "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

Even the Gamecube uses a modified G3 as its CPU.

I didn't know that.
              Only feebs vote.

Comment

Originally posted by Agathon
                I didn't know that.
                Yup, it's a 485MHz modified PowerPC 750Cxe, the same as the G3+. The only real difference is they added 40 new instructions (mostly SIMD/vector stuff for 3D math).

Comment

Let us be lazy in everything, except in loving and drinking, except in being lazy – Lessing

Comment

Good article.

Now Jobs is angry at IBM, and an angry Jobs is not pleasant to deal with. But things could be patched up, right? Maybe, but maybe IBM didn't see any reason to smooth things over and kiss the ring, as it were. Apple buys a lot of chips, but IBM CPUs are in every one of the three major upcoming game consoles. The market-share winner alone will assure tens of millions of CPU sales.

And IBM doesn't really care who wins because they get paid for every single unit sold: Sony, Nintendo, or Microsoft. What's 5 million Macs a year compared to 20 million game consoles? And over 5 years, IBM can sell the "same chip" (maybe with fabrication refinements that save IBM money anyway) up to 100 million times. It's a lot harder to do that with a Mac (although Motorola sure tried...)

It's a simple equation really: angry Jobs plus an IBM that doesn't feel like it needs Apple anymore equals no more IBM CPUs for future Macs. The only remaining question is how much weight to assign to each component of the equation. I think Jobs was by far the biggest factor—not just his anger, but also how the Motorola experience shaped his thinking.
                    Ding ding ding, we have a winner.

Comment

• Rob Enderle says just the opposite.

Speculation about the Apple Intel move. Who'd a thunk it.
                      Only feebs vote.

Comment

• Rob Enderle doesn't know what he's talking about most of the time. Like his essays on Linux, and the whole flap over PJ and Groklaw.

On the other hand, the article's very good. I'll confess that one of the only reasons I wanted a Mac was for the alternative architecture, so this guy's comments sync up with my feelings quite well.
                        B♭3

Comment

• Originally posted by Q Cubed
                          Rob Enderle doesn't know what he's talking about most of the time. Like his essays on Linux, and the whole flap over PJ and Groklaw.

On the other hand, the article's very good. I'll confess that one of the only reasons I wanted a Mac was for the alternative architecture, so this guy's comments sync up with my feelings quite well.
                          Actually the only reason why I would not want a Mac is the different architecture. Any closed-source Windows program that you suddenly need (for e.g. a university course) and you are arsed. OTOH with Mac OS X for Intel, I could have both systems and if I find Apple's OS superior use that for my every day stuff. That is, if I could find a good C++, Java, C# IDE for Mac OS X.

I really don't know why people are so keen on a different architecture. All it does is lock you out of a majority of the software available. Actually I could imagine Apple's marketshare to increase if they switch to mainstream hardware. Ofc, that would not translate into increased sales, so they would have to put more emphasize on their business solutions like with the Xserve.

Comment

• Any closed-source Windows program that you suddenly need (for e.g. a university course) and you are arsed

Virtual PC?
                            Only feebs vote.

Comment

• Ah yes, that transforms the ultra fast G4 Powerbook into.... a P200.

But okay, it's an option.

Comment

• ultra fast G4 Powerbook

Comment

Working...
                                X