Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Xbox 360/Playstation 3/Revolution Thread (Part 2)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HD-DVD is far cheaper than Bluray.

The Pioneer is Bluray.

The cheapest Bluray player announced so far is $1000, and it's from a no-name IIRC.
    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

• HP is also now supporting HD-DVD over Bluray. While Asher hasn't been very positive about HP in the past, they do still have a significant market share.
      "Yay Apoc!!!!!!!" - bipolarbear
      "At least there were some thoughts went into Apocalypse." - Urban Ranger
      "Apocalype was a great game." - DrSpike
      "In Apoc, I had one soldier who lasted through the entire game... was pretty cool. I like apoc for that reason, the soldiers are a bit more 'personal'." - General Ludd

Comment

• Originally posted by nostromo
        But that's a high end DVD. The "budget" version of Toshiba's first HD-DVD will cost about 500$ US when it comes out this year. Of course, there will also be a more expensive, high end version. And, of course, there will be no movies to play it on
        Over 200 movies announced for HD-DVD, 50 by May:
        .xyz is for every website, everywhere.® We offer the most flexible and affordable domain names to create choice for the next generation of internet users.
        "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

• The cheapest Bluray player announced so far is $1000, and it's from a no-name IIRC.
          The cheapest Bluray player announced so far isn't from a no-name, its from Sony, and its called PS3. I doubt it will cost more than $450-500 US
          Let us be lazy in everything, except in loving and drinking, except in being lazy – Lessing

Comment

• Breaking news: PS3 postponed until november

Your trusted source for video game news, reviews and guides, since 1999.

The Wednesday morning edition of the Nihon Keizai Shimbun reports that PlayStation 3 has been delayed until "early November" because the copy protection technology for the Blu-ray Disc has not yet been finalised.

The "November" date presumably refers to the console's Japanese release. If confirmed, it would almost certainly mean that the console's European release would not take place until 2007.

The report states that other core elements of the PS3, including the high-performance Cell processor developed with Toshiba and IBM, "are believed to have been developed on schedule". Sony had previously stuck to a "spring 2006" release estimate for the console.
            Advertisement

The story - the source for which is currently unclear - appears in the Japanese newspaper at the start of a day that is expected to see Sony deliver more concrete details about its plans for PlayStation 3 at a press conference in Japan.

Sony's conference is planned for 3pm in Tokyo on Wednesday - around 6am GMT - and is also expected to feature a first look at some of the launch line-up for the console.
            I can almost hear J. Allard praising Allah from here
            Let us be lazy in everything, except in loving and drinking, except in being lazy – Lessing

Comment

• Anybody know if you can convert your PC to a media center PC. Going to pick up a xbox 360 in a couple weeks and I want to be able to hook it up to my PC and transfer music, video, etc.
              Kids, you tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try. -Homer

Comment

• You can stream music using any Windows XP PC; to stream video you need a Media Centre PC. AFAIK there is no upgrade path, you'd need to download it and install it fresh.

Comment

• Can you download music from your PC hard drive to your xbox hard drive, I have seen conflicting that you can and can't. Also, if anybody has a xbox 360 on here, could you tell me how the dvr works on it?
                  Kids, you tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try. -Homer

Comment

• I have no idea, I've never tried that.

I believe you can just stream it, which is what I do. It's got the music DB from my computer and I can choose artists/albums/songs/etc and it plays them over the network.

It works for WMA, MP3, and AAC/M4A files -- it will not work for M4P (iTunes Music Store) files because Apple refuses to license it to anyone.

And I don't think the Xbox 360 has a DVR...

Comment

• Well I guess if you have a router connecting the two it doesn't really make since to dl if you can just stream them.

About the DVR
                      Television/DVR

At first, the idea of watching television through Xbox 360 seems silly, because your cable or satellite box is probably right beside the system. However, if you don't own a DVR, it's quite a useful after all. Granted, no DVR interface is as user-friendly as a TiVo, but the Media Center comes close by offering you similar options to pause, rewind and record live broadcasts. You'll never miss another Family Guy episode or The Daily Show opening joke ever again. Furthermore, with the well-designed programming guide, you'll know what's on or soon to be on the air through the grid.

The fact that MCE's DVR functions now extend from the computer room to any room in the house weakens TiVo's grip on my front room television. In theory, I can connect the cable to my Media Center computer through the TV Tuner graphics card, hardwire the PC to an A-band router with a CAT5 cable, wirelessly transmit the data from the router to the Xbox 360 network adapter in my basement's home theatre setup, and project live television onto the screen. However complicated the process sounds, it's much easier than tripped over wires, using VHS tapes to record TV programs and paying TiVo $12.95 a month for what Microsoft offers free of charge.

Besides free DVR functions, Media Center further edges out standard TiVo boxes because it's able to broadcast and record over-the-air HDTV, and Xbox 360 is able to stream that too. Only HD DVR-carrying cable and satellite operators offer similar HD recording functions. The downside to these companies is that streaming tends to be non-existent and monthly fees remain intact. On the other hand, they carry channels like ESPN HD, HBO HD and TNT HD. Media Center 2005 is limited to free over-the-air local channels pulled from a digital TV antenna and cannot be combined with a cable or satellite box for HD channels... yet. Vista, the next version of Windows, will incorporate the option later this year along new CableCard PC technology. Xbox 360 will hopefully be able to extend premium channels at that time, giving you the ability to enjoy things like the always-on, always-a-marathon Law & Order on TNT HD.

Media Center Extender successfully makes Xbox 360 more than a gaming console in your living room and gives new life to the multimedia OS outside of the computer room. If you're starting from scratch, setting up a Media Center isn't the simplest or cheapest task in the world. But, once you have the hardware in place and the software installed, it's straightforward streaming for all of your multimedia needs.

But it seems you have to have a media center PC to do it, hopefully one of my roommates up at college will have a media center PC.

Comment

• It's beginning to become more clear why Sony has kept quiet about their graphics chip, RSX.

According to some leaked Sony documents (http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=32159), RSX isn't really close to its target 550MHz (given at E3 2005; E3 2006 Sony refuses to comment on the GPU speed): it's currently running at 420MHz.

Also, it turns out Cell cannot access the 256MB GDDR3 pool that RSX uses -- well it can, but at 4 MB/s (not a typo) write and 16 MB/s (not a typo) read speeds. Wow. Further, Sony is reserving 64MB of the Cell memory pool for OS stuff.

That gives games 192MB of RAM, max, that they can put everything but graphics in for their game.

Also, RSX's triangle setup rate is 275 MTriangles/second (assuming they do hit 550MHz, which is far from certain), compared to Xenos' 500 MTriangles/second...

Comment

• Tomorrow a massive Xbox 360 software update is coming with over 125 improvements (including stuff like improved DVD playback quality): http://www.xbox.com/en-US/press/2006...e-features.htm

NEW FEATURES

* “Download manager” - Marketplace items now download in the background, queue up to six pieces of content
                          * DVD bookmark support will remember the film’s timing and location when resuming viewing
                          * Fast-forward and rewind now offered at 2x -16x for any videos saved to hard drive
                          * “Boot to Dashboard” setting will bypass the loading of any disc in the drive and open directly to Dashboard during power-on
                          * Begin slideshows from any photo
                          * Music player saves “shuffle” setting
                          * Much player save “repeat” setting
                          * Music player now displays which file is currently playing in the playlist
                          * Music volume level persists between game / reboots
                          * 8 new locales added (Chile, Brazil, India, South Africa, Poland, Hungary, Czech Republic and Slovakia)
                          * Separate settings now offered for Game and User volume controls
                          * Themes can now be set from the “System” blade on the Dashboard
                          * User-selected music continues play when switching from Dashboard to game or game to Dashboard
                          * “All Arcade Games” added as a selection in the Xbox Live Arcade area
                          * Personal gamer pictures allowed as Gamertiles – displayed only to those on your Friends List
                          * Added support to disable sound effects when navigating Dashboard
                          * Instantaneous “Change Theme” option added upon downloading new Dashboard themes
                          * Preserve folder structure of source when viewing photos
                          * A / B labels now provided to identify memory units in Dashboard
                          * Online status set to “Away” when screensaver becomes active

SYSTEM IMPROVEMENTS

DVD Player

* Improved audio/video sync after extended pauses
                          * Improved visual quality
                          * DVD player outputs at native resolution over VGA connection
                          * Improved playback smoothness
                          * Improved fast-forward and rewind smoothness
                          * DVD play continues to attempt to read a disc after “disc read” error
                          * DVD play à Pause à Play jitter / out of synch issues improved
                          * DVD play à Slow Play à Play jitter / out of synch issues improved
                          * Repaired issues with missing menu selection icon from DVD disc menu for certain films
                          * Improved Xbox 360 Guide efficiency during certain films
                          * Repaired playback stutter during certain films

Music Player

* Player now populates music data (Title, Artist, etc.) when no track information is available
                          * User music is now pauses, instead of stopping, when games override user-selected background music
                          * Selecting an artist’s album no longer displays albums for all artists
                          * Improved performance when retrieving playlists from a Windows Media connection
                          * List music tracks in track-order when viewing albums by specific artist
                          * Unified music controls for music player in Dashboard and pop-up Guide
                          * Improved playback for Mono AAC-encoded files
                          * Improved connection timing between console and CD database over Internet
                          * Player no longer allows hard-drive selection when no hard-drive is connected
                          * Removed handling of MTP/USB devices when playing music from them more robust
                          * Improved error codes / messaging associated with unplayable content

Localization Improvements

* Fixed partially truncated strings in Portuguese, Spanish and Italian
                          * Korean clock / date format corrected after initial set-up
                          * Fixed system hang when changing the language of the console immediately after signing out
                          * Korean virtual keyboard “down” navigation now works for lower-right button
                          * Korean virtual keyboard caps disabled for input mode
                          * Fixed overlapping characters for pre-paid Gold membership card (Japanese localization)
                          * Removed extra spaces in several translated words (French localization)
                          * PC name displayed properly when containing Japanese characters
                          * Support single apostrophe character for Japanese virtual keyboard

Memory Area Improvements

* Streamlined selection – no profile selection required
                          * Improved overall performance, allowing quicker access to content
                          * Improved content views including name, file type, size, profile owner and location
                          * Faster identification of file types and fewer steps for actions such as copy, move, delete, etc.
                          * Capacity (or percentage-full) of storage device now consistent between select-a-device and storage scenes
                          * Device selection now shown on each screen to improve usability

Miscellaneous System Improvements

* Time elapsed now displayed when playing music files
                          * Enhanced categorization of media library
                          * Accelerated scrolling of large music lists
                          * New “shuffle” icon
                          * Repeat / Shuffle icon now operates as toggle button
                          * Default button for manual IP address is now “A” instead of “Done”
                          * Hidden and system folders are no longer displayed from MTP / mass storage devices
                          * Difficulty levels for gamer profiles ordered correctly
                          * Added additional line and word-wrap to “Publisher” in video area
                          * Shuffle / Random no longer skips last image in list when viewing photos
                          * Improved handling of Friend Requests between Gamertags that have changed names
                          * No longer asked “Exist to Dash?” when switching between areas in the Dashboard
                          * New error messages for when Windows Live ID requires password change
                          * Unlocked Achievements now displayed first in Game Summary page
                          * Selecting an Achievement now shows the specific Achievement details
                          * Full date now displayed for “Member Since” and “Next Bill Date” tabs on Membership scene
                          * Updated messaging for deleting arcade games purchased by different profiles
                          * No longer launch music CD in disc-tray when moving from Live sign-up to Dashboard or Network Troubleshooter
                          * Improved voice quality when connected through wired gamepad
                          * Show “Last Played Game” selection in Xbox Live Arcade first before enumerating all games (when Arcade game was last game played)
                          * Improved performance of picture enumeration from iPods formatted for Mac
                          * Adopt latest updates to Cero-based ratings for Family Settings
                          * Show videos downloaded from Marketplace in the Video area of the Media blade
                          * Improved usability around “Play Now” when downloading demos, trailers and videos
                          * Added support for South Africa-specific Family Settings
                          * Updated support for Japanese game ratings
                          * Video area changed to include game trailers and entertainment videos
                          * Improved robustness of Gamerscore when doing account recoveries
                          * Improved messaging around handling corrupt or non-fully recovered profiles
                          * Improved download performance for popular content being downloaded through Marketplace
                          * Total USB keyboard support
                          * Testing Live connection while streaming music from PC works correctly
                          * Next item / Focus sound not played when scrolling past the bottom of the video list
                          * Handle profiles on memory units inserted into system while enumerating profiles from other storage locations
                          * Warning / Alert icons now show as part of deleting items in Memory area
                          * Repeat rate for remote control matches game controller repeat rate
                          * “A” button disabled when in a list with no items available
                          * Wireless battery level added to mini-pop-up guide over backward-compatible games
                          * Pop-up guide / Dashboard now supports USB keyboard
                          * Console no longer enters “charge” mode when shutdown and the battery has been removed from wireless controller
                          * System no longer waits indefinitely when attempting to contact Windows Media Connect service on XP PC
                          * Improved Marketplace storage device selector
                          * Correctly set focus on selected item when back button pressed on “select a game” scene
                          * Notify users when multiple wireless SSIDS with identical names are within reach
                          * Provide Gold membership information when trying to join a session or accepting game invites with Silver accounts
                          * New text to highlight the ability to clear the passcode for Live account signing
                          * Photo slideshow no longer resumes when pressing “previous” or “next” from paused state
                          * Improved handling of corrupt profiles when deleting them
                          * No longer turn off wireless gamepads after system update reboot
                          * More robust handling of initial setup experience for memory unit users
                          * Improved handling of backward-compatible update experience, reboot back into Xbox v1 environment instead of Dashboard
                          * Improved handling for "block communications" from other players
                          * Improved keypress sounds when using USB keyboard
                          * Improved usability and performance of content enumeration for storage devices
                          * Show visual location for where Xbox Live Arcade games reside
                          * Improved user messaging when overwriting content while copying
                          * Improved consistency of messaging between "sign out" and "switch profile"
                          * Updated troubleshooter text for connection to Windows PC's joined to domain
                          * Better support for Xbox 360 game disc recognition
                          * Improved initial setup text messaging
                          * Improved overall error message terminology
                          * Game updates downloaded to memory unit no longer show "please reinsert" notification when memory unit removed
                          * More robust support for handling game deletes from memory unit and simultaneously removing memory unit
                          * Improved system performance between console and affiliated Windows Media Connect PC

Comment

Working...
                          X